“Nice accomodations - but not very up front about fees and charges”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Geiser Grand Hotel

Geiser Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Baker City
Boise, Idaho, United States
“Nice accomodations - but not very up front about fees and charges”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I booked a night at this hotel over the phone and was told I needed to prepay the room charge of $149. No problem, many hotels ask that you prepay for the best available rate. I also mentioned that we needed a SnoPark pass for the day after we checked in, and was told it wouldn't be a problem. The hotel called a few days before my stay to confirm my reservation and asked if I wanted to make dinner reservations, which I did. When we arrived at the hotel, Jonathan was very welcoming and polite, asked for a credit card for any incidental charges which I gave him, and confirmed the room rate that I had paid. I asked about the SnoPark pass and he told me that if I checked at the desk in the morning they just loan them out for the day for their guests. Sounded great to me. Now I will say that our room was outstanding - comfortable furnishings, extra blankets in the sitting area, bathroom and shower were well stocked. We borrowed a DVD and enjoyed watching that in our room, and thought that was a great convenience. We loved our dinner - started with drinks in the bar (loved the bartender) and our waitress was very attentive and answered all our questions and made good suggestions when we asked. The atmosphere in the dining room was very relaxing - we truly enjoyed dinner. After a good night sleep we were ready to head to nearby Anthony Lakes. Stopped at the front desk to turn in our key and pick up the SnoPark pass. The front desk attendant gave me the pass and a copy of my bill. When I got to the car I realized the bill was for someone else in a different room, so I went back inside. This time the manager was at the desk, when I told her this was not my bill, it was for the wrong room she asked, oh - are you checking out? When I said yes, she told me she needed a credit card to pay for the room taxes, and since we were checking out we needed to pay $30 (full-value) of the SnoPark pass but when we returned it they would refund the cost. I understand the need for a deposit for the pass, but mentioned to her that I really wish someone would have mentioned that on the phone or when I checked in the night before. Also, I felt that they had been a little deceptive in not mentioning on the phone or at check in that though I had paid for the room charge, they would still need to collect the taxes. I just felt that customer service was not all that "grand" - not very forthcoming in my opinion. Would I stay here again? Probably....the room was nice, the wait staff was excellent and the housekeeping staff we interacted with were very friendly, directing us to our room and asking if everything was o.k. in the room. I would, however, ask many more questions about actual costs and fees for any of the extras they offer.

Room Tip: The parlor room is nice - has an extra sitting area (I think the couch makes into a bed). They ment...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Janice D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Wasco, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Paid for my room when I made the reservation, charged $250 incidental fee at check-in, when questioned on the fees they told me the bank was in charge of depositing my $250. Called my bank & the hotel actually sets the fee amount and terms. They have a week to return your $$.
Just a FYI as the hotel staff isn't disclosing the amount nor terms on that hold.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Renne15
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

We spent two nights at the Geiser Grand and were very impressed. We had a room with two queen beds that was quite spacious with high ceilings and beautiful chandeliers. Bed and bedding were very nice and comfy and the robes were wonderful (although I chose not to pay $75 to take one home).

I can understand how they might not want to put a micro and/or fridge in the rooms in order to maintain the historical character but I do wish they wouldn't charge $20 a night for those of us who need a fridge.

Bathroom was nice but wish there was more counter space. Also bathroom needs a fan.

I wish they would offer the hotel tour early on weekend mornings. The 3:00 and 1:00 afternoon times are not very convenient to be able to get out and explore Baker City.
Overall nice and I would stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GrandmaShe
Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

We celebrated Valentine's Day at the fabulous Geiser Grand! I treated my family of four to a 5 night vacation at the Geiser Grand Hotel in Baker City, Or. The historic hotel with its beautiful tiffany glass ceiling above the dining area is a sight to behold. The staff was nice, the restaurant's lobster dinner delicious, and the parlor room was spacious and lovely. We took advantage of the hotel's ski package and had a great time at Anthony Lakes. We enjoyed the hotel's gift shop, free use of games, and the exercise room. Our family especially enjoyed the tour of the hotel led by Denny, a gifted & talented lady. We will return again next year.

Room Tip: The Parlor room suited our family best with a tapestry curtain making one room into two.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pamela M
Woodinville, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stop at the Geiser Grand Hotel on our way back to Seattle from Salt Lake City every year. Baker City is a cute little town, but the Geiser Grand is the town's centerpiece! The rooms are large and very comfortable. The staff is incredibly friendly and very helpful. The bar has a great happy hour, and the restaurant has a beautiful stained glass ceiling. The hotel has an incredible amount of character, and we look forward to our visit every year!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Brenda A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I stayed one night during Valentine's weekend and it was so much more beautiful than the pictures show on their website! The service in the restaurant was outstanding and the prime rib was delish. We will be going back this summer on our way to fishing in Hells canyon. This is my new favorite hotel by far.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank RaChelle W
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff and lovely restaurant and pub inside hotel. Our room was spacious, lovely and clean with a beautiful crystal chandelier, comfortable bed, and clean bathroom. Pets allowed for small fee. Restaurant was lovely for dinner with good wine list and nice steaks. Baker City is worth a stopover if you're on a long road trip in the West. Many cute artsy shops in town, historic architecture, local skiing at Anthony Lakes, and well-done Oregon Trail interpretive center.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple