“Comfortably Clean and Quiet”

BEST WESTERN Sunridge Inn
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Baker City
Salem, Oregon
“Comfortably Clean and Quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

I read some of the other reviews. I don't know what other folks are complaining about. This was a very nice place to stay.

I was in Building 1 (of five) with a west-facing room on the upper floor. The view wasn't impressive, but I could see quite a bit of the surrounding area. In Buildings 1, 2, and 4, the windows in the odd-numbered rooms face outward so you can see farther; the even-numbered rooms face inward toward the courtyard and pool. Building 3 is the opposite of that, and I didn't see Building 5.

My room was a good distance from the freeway. With the windows closed, if I turned off all sources of noise in the room and listened very carefully, I could just barely hear the vehicles going by. I was near the largest part of the parking lot, so I did notice a semi pull in or pull out on occasion, but they were still far enough away that it didn't bother me.

The room was clean. Sure, it could use a dusting in some of the high corners, and the bathtub might be due for a deep scrubbing instead of the usual sanitizing wipe-down, but I found absolustely nothing in the room to complain about. The bed was clean; the sheets were fresh; the bathroom was just what I expect in a room like this. The TV worked. The easy chair was a good place to set up my laptop and do some work. The Wi-Fi worked without any difficulty at all. I didn't use the balcony (too cold) or the pool (definitely too cold), but I didn't see anything wrong with those either. The in-room heater wasn't any better or worse than most others I've met.

Obviously, this building is not new. However, it is also obvious to me that the owners are trying to keep it up and, in some cases, even fix it up.

Here are the few small things that make me give this place a 4/5 rating instead of a 5/5.
- The pillows on my bed were unusually small (though extras were available in the room).
- The Closed Captioning on the TV didn't work, and it appeared to be disabled. I didn't need it, but I like to use it.
- No free breakfast. There was free coffee and cookies (which I didn't try) in the lobby, and I did get a $2-off coupon for the attached restaurant, though.

Those are all really minor things. I still like this place. Those tiny annoyances would not stop me from returning.

Bottom line: I don't know where these complainers were staying. The Sunridge Inn at Baker City was a nice place. The front desk staff were friendly and efficient, and I have no hesitation recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Buildings 1 and 2 are farther from the freeway. Upper floor may be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Rhonda H, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Sunridge Inn, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Hi Hawaiian Shirts,

My name is Rhonda the Director of Sales for the Best Western Sunridge Inn.
Thank You for your recent stay with us and your positive comments. We are always striving to make our property better. In the next couple of years we are planning to remodel a couple of buildings. Next time you stop by, I would like to invite you to try our restaurant out. We have really good omelettes and yummy Prime Rib.
Thank You again and Have a wonderful day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

This Hotel looks to be having issues. This Hotel had no TV services at the time I stayed here. It looks to be rundown and I was switched to three different rooms with various differences of TV's, furniture, differrent repaired ammenities. It was mix and match time within the rooms and its not by design its by whomever or whatever is available for repair at the cheapest prices. Rooms are unclean, very unclean, smell moldy. Your not allowed to have the AC or Heat on above or below what they determine your comfort level should be this means that you dont have enough heat in the winter and no AC in the summer. The Owner and Managment does not and will not return your phone calls and or emails so dont expect it. They hired a new night desk clerk whom was very nice and kind and did her very best to resolve issues however the Hotel Ownership and managment doesnt care about them either. If you stay here its very dirty, no services, management, ownership doesnt care. so good luck, I would stay in my car before staying here.

Room Tip: No Spa, No TV Services, No Services, No Management,Stay Away
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Hi Johnb1111,

My name is Rhonda & I am the Director of Sales for the Best Western Sunridge Inn.
I am distressed to hear that your stay with us was so unpleasant. I would like to extend an personal apology. We are an older property but are very conscious of keeping it clean. Building 1 & 2 are the newest remodeled rooms and they have the flat screen tv's. Please afford us the oppurtunity to make this right. Thank you for your review and if there is anything I can do, please feel free to call me.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

This place could not have been better. It was right off the highway, but very quiet. It was SUPER clean. The wifi was fast and free. The pool was probably fantastic, too, but we were too busy eating pizza to go swimming. And in the morning, they were out of coffee in the main lobby, but they gave me a free big coffee to go in the restaurant!

We were driving across the country, and stopped in Baker City for the pizza. This was our cheapest hotel night, but it was by FAR the easiest (in terms of convenience, both of highway access and wifi) and quite possibly the cleanest. Nice people. Easy in and out. We parked by the room. Nobody minded when I requested a view of the mountains rather than of the highway. It was great!

(Also: there is a little coffee shop drive-through within walking distance—the Coffee Corral—which was a nice treat.)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi Ryamyan,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your positive comments. I understand you loved the pizza here in Baker, it had to be Paizzano's. I would like to invite you to check out our restaurant that has a great breakfast and yummy Prime Rib.
Thank You again for chosing us.
Have a Great Day!
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Staff was kind, housekeeping was very detailed and front staff helpful! I moved from the Grand Geiser to this hotel, best choice in Baker City! I found the staff and hotel experience to be a very good one. Quiet and clean. On site dinning was good as well.

Room Tip: Pool Side was the best.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Hi Heather B.

Thank you for your recent stay with us and the positive comments. We look forward to seeing you again. When you travel again, Summer is a great time to visit Baker City. Enjoy our beautiful courtyard and outdoor patio where you can dine.
Look forward to seeing you again. Thank You and Have a Wonderful weekend!
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

Our room was clean, quiet, and well furnished. The beds were comfy and clean. The lay-out is a little weird...it's kinda like an apartment complex...but it worked great. Our room was in the main building on the second floor.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Hi Todd G.

Hi my name is Rhonda & I am the Director of Sales for the Best Western Sunridge Inn.
Thank You for your recent stay and review of us. We look forward to seeing you again. The summer is a great time to visit Baker City. We have our out-door Patio that you can dine in, as well as a heated out-door pool.
Thank You and have a Great Weekend!
salem, or
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

We got stuck in Baker City due to an accident that shut down the highway. Having stayed in multiple Best Westerns we felt the Sunridge Inn would be a safe bet. Nope! It was very shabby and worn. The building in which our room was - was not locked and anyone could access our room even without a key. They had the system to require key card access it was just off. In addition our bathroom was covered in pubic hair. It was disgusting. The bathroom had definitely not been clean. I did complain and they decreased our bill by 25$. But I won't stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

This best-western sure could use an update. Our room 228 had a very firm bed with low spots on the sides and a high bump in the middle. The old CRT- TV, huge ugly -thing had a terrible picture not what you would expect. The doors to the room are very short so you can hear everything going on in the hallways, the doors to out-side do not lock! anyone could wonder in freely. A little security would go a long way! The room was very clean.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back away from the semi-truck parking lot.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple