“They seem to care about the food”

Lord Bennett's Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #5 of 55 Restaurants in Bandon
Price range: US$6 - US$42
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: A Favorite West Coast Destination Restaurant Lord Bennett’s restaurant opened its doors in 1989 and has since established an exemplary reputation through dedication to service and commitment to quality by owner and head chef, Rich Iverson. Chef Iverson’s commitment to the local community is unwavering. His tireless efforts serve many in this small coastal community both by providing year-round employment and through his donations of time, money, food, and the use of Lord Bennett’s facilities. The food entrees served at Lord Bennett’s are exciting, fresh, and innovative! We use seasonal, local ingredients whenever possible; assuring your dining experience will be exquisite in every way. Each dish is carefully prepared using quality ingredients with finesse and artistic presentation. Chef Iverson incorporates regional flavors and season specialties in this wonderful restaurant. Their staff exceeds expectations in their menu knowledge and service. Foodies and wine lovers alike have made Lord Bennett’s their favorite destination restaurant on the West Coast. Nothing can quite compare to the entire mix of deliciousness and ambiance you'll experience at Lord Bennett's. Take a road trip to Bandon by the Sea and top it off with a dinner or Sunday Brunch at Lord Bennett’s. You’ll be glad you did!
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is our second time at Lord Bennett's, the first time was a little over two years ago. One thing I particularly noticed this time is the attention they pay to the side dishes. We both had salads with our meals, and these were among the most thought out "side salads" we've had in some time. Lots of ingredients, not just iceberg lettuce! My wife had the Wild Prawns (conventional, cooked in butter) while I had the Broiled Wild Prawns. In both cases they were the largest prawns I've seen is some time. Cooked perfectly in both cases. Mine had a green curry cashew sauce which I've never seen before, but frankly I didn't feel complemented the prawns very well. As in our last trip the vegetables on the side were varied and good -- fresh corn, green beans in cream sauce, and grilled mixed vegetables and mushrooms.

The service was good, but not great. The waitresses were chatting loudly in the dining room at the start of our meal (there were few customers at 5PM on a Monday).

Deserts are good here but we are dieting and didn't have any.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I thought the food was OK, but not exceptional. By that, my Fish was OK, but the sides didn't impress me. Service was an issue, they were not adequately staffed, for the crowd they had. I was told a Waitress had called in sick. I thought the waitresses and Busboy were trying their best, but I thought the lack of staff was a case of poor management and they have to take responsibility. View is terrific, maybe a little too terrific facing West into the setting Sun a number of people complained that the Sun was in their eyes. There are ways to shade this and keep the ambiance. Maybe on a different night I would have rated it higher, but I have to go with what I experienced.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is the second time we arrived in Bandon on a Monday and once again appreciated that this scenic restaurant we found the first time is open on Mondays (as very few other area restaurants are). The sea views from the second floor restaurant (lounge and restrooms are on first floor) are exceptional, a good selection of fresh fish. While a bit understaffed the evening we were there and server was apologetic about delays, we hardly noticed. The servers worked fast and efficiently; no one, including us, seemed to be in a hurry or impatient. Compared to any European restaurant, dinner was hardly slow. While I have yet to try all the other recommended restaurants in this seaside town, would not hesitate to return as this was the second enjoyable meal we have had at this vewnue.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

First the good news: the restaurant is well-appointed, and the dining room is on the second floor, which takes in sweeping views of Face Rock and the setting sun (bring sunglasses as it drops into the sea).

Then the not-so-good-news: the restaurant was reasonably full for a Monday night (we reserved a table in advance), but service was slow and generally too casual for fine dining. Staff apologised a few times for being short-handed and seemed to be doing their best under the circumstances.

However, we had few quibbles with the food: I ordered the seafood mixed grill and shared several bites with my husband, who was happy with his shrimp caesar salad. We split a lemon tart for dessert, which was out of this world

The wine list has a nice mixture of Oregon and California vintages.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

On second floor with ocean views, clearly locals knew the value of this restaurant. It has a limited menu based on available fish and meats, which implies careful preparation. The wine list is select and well-thought. The place is small yet relaxed and not noisy. The prices were 20% lower than equivalent restaurants in the downtown. If you are a locavore, this is a good choice.