“Nice fix up on a older downtown motel, not for hot days or light sleepers” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Kris Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bandon
La Kris Inn
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Bandon
Provo, Utah
“Nice fix up on a older downtown motel, not for hot days or light sleepers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is a 1950's style roadside motel right in the middle of town. Renovations including flowers and a nice paint job clean it up as well as a flat screen tv, fridge and microwave. Easy walking distance to stores/DQ and old town. Less than a mile walk or drive to the beach. However no AC (common on the coast) minimal ventilation and plenty of trucks on the road.

The Good:
It appears someone painted and decorated this older motel a few years ago and did a very nice job. My room #8 had a nice light blue paint scheme with appropriate beach style decorations, a couch, table and chairs. The exterior has plants and flowers and appears to be well cared for. The two queen beds were soft and comfortable and I was pleased to see that my room bordered a storage area and the maids office so no direct neighbors. Having a coffee maker, microwave and fridge as well as it's down town location made it very convenient for my stay. The room and linens appeared clean.

The Meh':
When I first entered the room I noted a musty old shower smell. I was fortunate to have a window but it opened into a alley full of trash cans and the view of our neighboring room's wall. Once I got the windows open the odor dissipated but old buildings have ventilation issues. Also while I don't doubt an outlet or two was added during the renovation every outlet was filled, so much so that the alarm clock was plugged in on the table, not between the beds on the night stand. I had to decide what I didn't need to charge my cell phone or blow dry my hair. Dark window coverings have been added but there are no control rods or strings to open and close them so you have to jerk the drapes back and forth to move it. The room was pretty clean but there were cobwebs on the bathroom window and ceiling vent. The trailer court near by was a bit gritty. I felt the $100 a night I was charged was a bit high for the location.

The Bad:
I know the coast is normally cool but always muggy. I saw that many of the patrons left their door open for hours after arriving to get some ventilation adding to the already significant noise of the main road and logging trucks. I had trouble sleeping two of the three nights here due to the heat and leaving the window open, which made the traffic especially the late and early morning trucks an issue. The one morning I could sleep in a bit the maids did a great job of getting in and out of my room while I went next door for breakfast but then ruined my nap by hanging outside my door, talking loudly to each other and on phones while smoking until about 1 pm. I tried closing my windows to avoid the smoke but then it was stifling. I even went outside to stare them down but I was ignored.
Additionally the renovation was not a full one so the bathroom is very tiny, almost too small to change in if needed and the floor had peeled up at one point, and been calked down with large quantities of white silicone. The shower rod had been pulled out of the wall at some point and replaced with a straight one without fixing the holes in the wall or repainting.

Ceiling fans and a power strip would have made my stay more comfortable.

Overall if I wanted to be downtown rather than one of the hotels with a view and if the price was right I would stay again, but not in the summer.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
LaKrisInn, Owner at La Kris Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
We appreciate the honest review. The temperatures during this week were uncommonly hot and muggy. Under normal conditions the coast is typically quite cool and thus few people have air conditioning.

I will have a conversation with the housekeepers and wish you had said something at the time so it could have been corrected during your stay.

Again, thanks.
Steve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Klamath Falls, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

I decided to do an impromptu drive up the entire Oregon Coast the weekend before Memorial Day. Since I had no set itinerary and didn't want to be tied to any sort of schedule, I couldn't reserve my hotels in advance. I had dinner in old town Bandon and then started making calls to the various hotels in the area while I was sitting on the pier. I AM on a tight budget and am more interested in seeing sights than spending a luxurious stay in hotels. The owner, Steve, told me on the phone that he had a few rooms and that one of them he referred to as "Tiny Tim" was less than half the price of any hotel in the area. When I arrived at La Kris, Steve gave me the keys to two rooms to check out which one I wanted. The "Tiny Tim" room was just perfect. It's room 1, next to the office. It's a cute, small room that is clean, neat and perfectly fine. I commend the owners for providing free internet. After watching the sunset, I could come back to the room, and plan the next day's adventure using resources on the internet. I appreciate private owners of places like this who take pride in their property and do their best to please their guests. I would rather give my hard-earned money to small business owners than to corporate chains. I am glad this one was affordable!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
LaKrisInn, Owner at La Kris Inn, responded to this review, 19 May 2013
Thank you! We appreciate your kind comments. The Tiny Tim room is definitely on the low end being a very small room with a full bed rather than a queen but it does the job at times. We are glad your stay was a pleasant one.
grants pass
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

This is the third time staying at the La Kris. Very clean, and very pet friendly. The rooms are cute, the beds are new and comfortable. Great staff too. Highly recommended. Plenty of hot water, and good water pressure in the shower as well.

Room Tip: We really like room 3. It has 2 beds, and a ceiling fan. Cute and clean.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tlmarsh
LaKrisInn, Owner at La Kris Inn, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Thank you for the kind comments.
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

My wife and I stay here every time we are in Bandon. We love it! The cramped quarters that awaited us on our family visits has been replaced by the La Kris as our little home away from home. Now, we look forward to visiting our in-laws and welcome the charm of the LaKris and the friendly staff. This last stay over the Christmas Holidays was our 5th. It was particularly welcome after our dreadful stay on the way to Bandon at the Pacific Inn in Crescent City (for another review), which was the same price at $60.00 per night. This last time, we also added a new member to our family, our Corgi and were concerned our stays at the La Kris were over. But that was not the case, as the La Kris not only has pet friendly rooms but the floors are some sort of wood or faux wood, greatly reducing our stress in the event our little pup was bad.
You are immediately at home when you enter these rooms and though small in some respects, they seem more cozy than cramped. The weather during our visit was pretty miserable and cold and the only draw back is the time it takes to warm a room with the electric base heaters. That is literally the only issue we have ever had and only this last trip. There are no air conditioners as would be the case in this area. The rooms are very clean with a country/nautical theme. The Inn is right off 101 and if you concerned about road noise, it is generally minimal due to the reduced speeds through town. The rooms face Eastish so you get the morning light which is nice.
The La Kris in conveniently located outside the bustling Old Town area (I say that somewhat tongue and cheek) as the town was actually deader than a doornail over Christmas. and isn't usually bustling unless there is some event. There is a coffee shed across the street as well as a store and a pharmacy that offers more than drugs and is worth a peek. Next door to the La Kris is a old school bakery run by an older couple with a variety of yummy treats. The Bear Claws were truly to die for. If you are the mood for fast food, the Dairy Queen is stones throw and if your car battery goes dead (as mine did) you can walk to True Value or the NAPA store across the street! Across from the bakery on the same side of the street is a pet boutique. Behind the Inn is an old elementary school which I guess could get loud during recess but I can't honestly say it's ever been an issue and until we got our dog and took her for walks in the area, didn't even realize there was a school!
In conclusion, we are very confident in recommending this charming little Inn and encourage a stay there next time you visit Bandon by the sea.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank atravelertoarches
LaKrisInn, Owner at La Kris Inn, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. We appreciate hearing this and look forward to your next stay.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

I stayed at La Kris Inn last night as I made my way up the coast -- the man at the front desk was extremely welcoming and my room was spotless. As a light sleeper I was concerned about the amount of traffic, but found that it didn't bother me much at all as most of the traffic died down after about 9pm and the heavy curtains and decent insulation helped muffle the sound. The Inn is also just a short drive to the beach and all the cutesy Bandon stuff.

I would absolutely stay here again, and as a frequent traveler who can't spend a ton of cash on a night's rest, I thought this was a great deal.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Nikki J
LaKrisInn, Owner at La Kris Inn, responded to this review, 30 September 2012
Thank you for commenting.
kc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

Beware of staying here if you are at all a light sleeper. There is not a dark curtain covering, just a light one. Making this much worse is that the porch light outside of each room remains lit all night with no means to shut it off by the guest ( I hoped that the switch just inside the door operated it, but it just controls the end table light). So, it was bright enough inside the room to be able to see everything in the room very clearly with all lights out, which is way too bright for me to sleep. I got maybe two hours. The rest of the hours were then spent listening to the trucks roll by on 101. The trucks go by steadily all night and are pretty loud inside of the room. Dark blinds would not be such a large expense, so I don't know why these aren't provided like they are in pretty much every other hotel I have ever stayed at. And make it so that the porch light can be turned off by the guest.
We stayed at a different motel every night on our 7 day Oregon coast trip, and they were all in the same price range as La Kris. This was far and away the most disappointing stay of our trip. And since I was wide awake and ready to roll by 630 am ( I might as well have left in the middle of the night since I wasn't sleeping) and the office didn't open until 9 or 10 am, I will pass on my dissatisfaction here instead of in person to the owner.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
LaKrisInn, Owner at La Kris Inn, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Thank you for the feedback. We were not aware that there was an issue with the curtains and will replace them within the month.

Road noise is a bigger challenge since we have no way to change this. It has not been an issue in the past but we are a roadside inn and there is a potential of traffic noise. Luckily, Bandon is a small town and the traffic tends to die about 8 PM though there will be an occassional vehicle passing through out the night.

The office is closed until 10 AM. Guests can always leave us a note and we will take the feedback seriously.

Thanks, Steve Dimock
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

We stayed here last week for two nights while we played Bandon Dunes. The room was very clean, although a little small, but for the price it was still a great bargain. The owner is extremely accommodating and friendly. The only thing that bothered us was a long-term resident next door to us who complained about our talking (normal speaking voices and maybe a couple of laughs) when we returned to the room about 11:00. The owner let us move to another room which was perfect. Walking distance to Old Town. Really enjoyed it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VerySatisfied
LaKrisInn, Owner at La Kris Inn, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Thank you for the kind comments. We appologise for the grumpy guest next door. We don't often have such problems but they do occur when staying in motels. I appreciated your understanding and am glad I still had a room we could move you to.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bandon
Sunset Oceanfront Lodging
#2 of 7 in Coos Bay
Lighthouse Cove Inn
Lighthouse Cove Inn
#7 of 12 in Bandon

Been to La Kris Inn? Share your experiences!