“Beautiful grounds area but not for everyone”

Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Beaverton
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I had an updated room which was as nicely furnished as any 2 or 3 star motel I felt but maybe a little small, especially the sink area. The grounds area with the pond and is nice, see hotel pics, however only some rooms open to this area. The hotel is on relatively steep incline so the 3rd floor, main bldg, is street level and the 1st level is lower parking lot level. Unless you stay and park 3 rd level, you will be taking lots of stairs. Did not bother me but could be a major issue for some individuals. the "free" breakfast is a coupon to the restaurant and only includes a limited selection. The food in the restaurant is very good but it's not nearly as quick as a free buffet and if you are a big eater you might have to order off the menu. The restaurant is very nice. I didnt
 see the evening menu but the prices didnt seem out of line. No newspapers, which seemed strange to me. There is a pool also. I think it would be a good family or mountain-climber-in-training place but a business person who really can't enjoy the amenities and doesn't want to spend half an hour on breakfast might go elsewhere. Area is fine, convenience store right across the street, not much else walkable. Several restaurants and car lots on the same street. Some sort of gentlemans club down the street but small and low key. I would certainly stay here again if the price was right and I could get a room overlooking the "garden" area.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the garden area. Be aware of the "climb" if you stay on the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BCNDWorld
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear BCNDWorld,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

It was late at night after a long day and Priceline ended up securing us this place on line from the parking lot of the nearby mall. At around $100 it was the only game around.

The reception belied a mediocre experience, but the walk down to the pit of a room had this responsible Dad on defence, as the rest of the family refused to even shower there.

The room smelled moldy; the parking lot was seedy looking and as we drove there we realized that this must be the resort of least choice for any local car-salesmen training that might be taking place on the strip.... which was littered with second hand car shops.

I felt like I was in some B movie, where the battle axe behind the counter could keep a patron waiting for 10 minutes in a most humiliating way, so that perhaps the included breakfast coupon could be arranged for the adjacent restaurant. Of course, the included coupon, if you were patient enough to wait for it only entitled you to the very limited Class B options on the menu, failing the appetite for which you could anti-up the $3, which felt like the raison d'etre for the entire organization; as if the room, the wait for the coupon, the restaurant ambience which smelled like a hall adjacent to a pig slaughterhouse and the very visible omni-present rat-traps, were not clue enough that perhaps we hadn't yet arrived at Middle Class Status.
Half of the crew decided not to eat there and thought we'd better be off before the local prison bus stopped at its half-way point for a statutory prison meal.

Room Tip: Keep driving
1  Thank AESRichmond
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear AESRichmond,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I hope that you will give Shilo another opportunity to earn your confidence in the future.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have stayed a few times at this Shilo, the court yard is beautiful. I enjoy all the large trees and the great view of the court yard facing rooms. The free breakfast includes eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes or French toast. The best part they serve until 11 am!! The rooms are very roomy they include frig and microwave. Ours has always been nice and clean and serviced well by the maid.

Room Tip: Nice place I have stayed a few times and will stay there again.

Dear Kimberolson,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Unfortunately for my tired family, the noise from the room above kept us awake deep into the night. We heard every footstep of a pacer with insomnia. The front desk was very accommodating to us by upgrading to a top floor room for our second night. Built on a hillside, without an elevator, this info isn't readily available when booking. New mattresses would help!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms only (with balconies)!

Dear wildnfree1,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for the noise that kept you awake your first night. Thank you for being a valued Shilo guest and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

The Shilo is a rambling hotel with free wifi. The lobby and rooms were a little threadbare, but the room was clean and quiet and the bed was comfortable. They offer a free buffet breakfast with bacon/sausage, eggs, french toast, and potatoes, as well as cereals, bagels, etc. The best part is that they serve you at your table and refill your coffee so you can visit with friends.

My heart sank when I saw that the hotel was welcoming soccer tournaments because I envisioned being surrounded by noisy kids. I never heard any noise, and the hotel provided breakfast in a separate dining room for the teams so we could relax in ours. Genius! Our friends were not impressed with the hotel, but I thought it was good value for the money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lucky063
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Lucky063,

Thank you for your review. We sincerely appreciate you being our valued guest and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

When the first hotel we stopped in Portland had bedbugs, we called Shiloh at 11:30 and they had a room. The room was clean and staff very helpful. The included breakfast was a buffet with excellent choices. We ended up staying an extra night. And are very glad we did. The pillows are actually comfortable, too.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jay Y
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Jay Y,

Thank you for your kind review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Although the hotel is located on a multi-lane thoroughfare that receives a lot of traffic, the rooms buildings are tucked behind the office building facing the road. The hallways and exterior may seem motel-ish, but once inside my room (1st floor) the similarity ends. Very clean carpet, bath and double queen mattresses. Bedding was medium-plush, an extra bath sink (outside adjacent to bath) in the entrance hallway to room door was an added amenity to the room. The bathroom has ample lighting with granite counters with shower heads providing sufficient water flow (I prefer mist vs stream and found the shower a balance of the two). The free buffet-style continental breakfast served scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, yoplait yogurt, fresh cut fruit, bagels, fresh orange juice (server poured), fresh coffee and one or two other items all prepared in what you'd find in a 4-5 star hotel breakfast. WiFi was free with ample bandwidth and strong signal, the room has easy accessible electrical outlets to charge devices with a larger fridge (with freezer section) and microwave larger than your typical hotel room or college dorm fridge. For an overnight stay in late July 2013, I would have booked an extra night being a 30 minute drive to Portland's finer dining restaurants during a 5 o'clock traffic hour, the hotel was completely booked and had to push on to my journey north. A small outdoor pool and mini hot spa in the back of the hotel was a nice respite from the mid to upper 90's (Fahrenheit) summer heat. Would definitely book and stay for a Portland vacation. The parking lot is easily accessible to and from room, and plenty of spaces. The only drawback is that the windows (thin panel glass) face the lot and a few shrubs just outside the window made for little privacy with curtains drawn back though didn't hear much cars pulling in or out enough to disturb sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear David C,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I was ecstatic to read the details of your stay and appreciate your taking the time to be so thorough. We look forward to serving you again in the future.