“Needs remodeling”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Beaverton
Portland, Oregon
“Needs remodeling”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel is very well located and the price is generally good, but it desperately needs updating. The "remodeled" rooms are only partially done. Our king suite had fresh carpet and design upgrades, including tile tub surrounds, but the cabinetry was old and the doors had been removed. The unremodeled units just don't feel clean. The screen door fell off when I tried to open it. The place seems tired. The courtyard rooms have a lovely view, though, of the pond and fountain. It does have potential, especially if it gets the attention it needs.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Shilohotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear kateayers,

We will keep your comments in mind as we continue to maintain and update our property.
Thank you for your feedback and for being a valued Shilo guest.

Raymond Badalich – Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This is an older hotel and it shows in most places. I had 3 of the updated rooms (I had left but made another reservation to return). The first room (37?) was updated and spacious. It faced the back lot so it was quiet. The second room was also updated (again in the 370's) but it faced the street and was EXTREMELY small and cramped. I felt like I needed to turn sideways to walk through.
I spoke with the desk personnel, who for the most part were very pleasant and helpful and they moved me to a different updated room that was even bigger than the first. Great room!! Oddly, a couple of days later, the day manager at the front desk pulled me aside and told me I couldn't stay in that room if I came back because I didn't pay enough (even though I was there for almost 3 weeks). I would have put up a fight if forced to move.
A co-worker was initially in the older rooms (only one building has been updated) and he said they are terrible. Musty, stained carpets and furniture from the 70's and 80's.
The restaurant and lounge staff were great! Very friendly and accommodating. The free breakfast items were good and freshly made and the 11:00am cut off fit my schedule perfectly.
I would stay again as long as I was able to get one of the updated rooms facing the parking lot as they are bigger than the front ones.
Giving a low cleanliness score as I had to walk through the non updated buildings to get to the guest laundry. Carpets were disgusting!!

Room Tip: Updated rooms on parking lot side of building. Top floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Jim C,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I apologize for any misunderstanding concerning your room. The spacious room you received was an upgraded room type not available through the third party source where you made your original booking. You were upgraded and your reservation extended at no additional charge. We would love to see you return and if you choose, that room type may be available for an additional charge. We hope to see you again in the future.

G.Sorrels
minneapolis
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I had an updated room which was as nicely furnished as any 2 or 3 star motel I felt but maybe a little small, especially the sink area. The grounds area with the pond and is nice, see hotel pics, however only some rooms open to this area. The hotel is on relatively steep incline so the 3rd floor, main bldg, is street level and the 1st level is lower parking lot level. Unless you stay and park 3 rd level, you will be taking lots of stairs. Did not bother me but could be a major issue for some individuals. the "free" breakfast is a coupon to the restaurant and only includes a limited selection. The food in the restaurant is very good but it's not nearly as quick as a free buffet and if you are a big eater you might have to order off the menu. The restaurant is very nice. I didnt
 see the evening menu but the prices didnt seem out of line. No newspapers, which seemed strange to me. There is a pool also. I think it would be a good family or mountain-climber-in-training place but a business person who really can't enjoy the amenities and doesn't want to spend half an hour on breakfast might go elsewhere. Area is fine, convenience store right across the street, not much else walkable. Several restaurants and car lots on the same street. Some sort of gentlemans club down the street but small and low key. I would certainly stay here again if the price was right and I could get a room overlooking the "garden" area.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the garden area. Be aware of the "climb" if you stay on the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BCNDWorld
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear BCNDWorld,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2013

It was late at night after a long day and Priceline ended up securing us this place on line from the parking lot of the nearby mall. At around $100 it was the only game around.

The reception belied a mediocre experience, but the walk down to the pit of a room had this responsible Dad on defence, as the rest of the family refused to even shower there.

The room smelled moldy; the parking lot was seedy looking and as we drove there we realized that this must be the resort of least choice for any local car-salesmen training that might be taking place on the strip.... which was littered with second hand car shops.

I felt like I was in some B movie, where the battle axe behind the counter could keep a patron waiting for 10 minutes in a most humiliating way, so that perhaps the included breakfast coupon could be arranged for the adjacent restaurant. Of course, the included coupon, if you were patient enough to wait for it only entitled you to the very limited Class B options on the menu, failing the appetite for which you could anti-up the $3, which felt like the raison d'etre for the entire organization; as if the room, the wait for the coupon, the restaurant ambience which smelled like a hall adjacent to a pig slaughterhouse and the very visible omni-present rat-traps, were not clue enough that perhaps we hadn't yet arrived at Middle Class Status.
Half of the crew decided not to eat there and thought we'd better be off before the local prison bus stopped at its half-way point for a statutory prison meal.

Room Tip: Keep driving
1 Thank AESRichmond
Shilo I, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear AESRichmond,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I hope that you will give Shilo another opportunity to earn your confidence in the future.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have stayed a few times at this Shilo, the court yard is beautiful. I enjoy all the large trees and the great view of the court yard facing rooms. The free breakfast includes eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes or French toast. The best part they serve until 11 am!! The rooms are very roomy they include frig and microwave. Ours has always been nice and clean and serviced well by the maid.

Room Tip: Nice place I have stayed a few times and will stay there again.
Dear Kimberolson,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Novato, California
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Unfortunately for my tired family, the noise from the room above kept us awake deep into the night. We heard every footstep of a pacer with insomnia. The front desk was very accommodating to us by upgrading to a top floor room for our second night. Built on a hillside, without an elevator, this info isn't readily available when booking. New mattresses would help!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms only (with balconies)!
Dear wildnfree1,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for the noise that kept you awake your first night. Thank you for being a valued Shilo guest and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The Shilo is a rambling hotel with free wifi. The lobby and rooms were a little threadbare, but the room was clean and quiet and the bed was comfortable. They offer a free buffet breakfast with bacon/sausage, eggs, french toast, and potatoes, as well as cereals, bagels, etc. The best part is that they serve you at your table and refill your coffee so you can visit with friends.

My heart sank when I saw that the hotel was welcoming soccer tournaments because I envisioned being surrounded by noisy kids. I never heard any noise, and the hotel provided breakfast in a separate dining room for the teams so we could relax in ours. Genius! Our friends were not impressed with the hotel, but I thought it was good value for the money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lucky063
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear Lucky063,

Thank you for your review. We sincerely appreciate you being our valued guest and look forward to serving you again in the future.