“It was clean. The rest was tolerable.”

Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Beaverton
Salem, Oregon
“It was clean. The rest was tolerable.”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

By reminding myself that this facility was built in an earlier era (they gave me a **metal** key, for gosh sakes, with my room number stamped into it) and during simpler times, I've decided my stay here was what I should have expected for under $100.

The inn is built on a sloping lot in the midst of the car-dealer-car-repair part of town. There are no elevators, but lodging is limited to three floors, a fact that seemed perfectly acceptable to the surprising number of seniors who seemed to be staying there during the weekend. The central courtyard features a gazebo, attractive gardens and a good-sized pond with a central geyser and well-tended plants around its edges. No wading and lots of mosquitos, however. At night, it's well-lighted.

When I arrived, my room and bedding were clean, as was the bathroom and carpeting. The odor of stale cigarette smoke in my no-smoking room was not. It wafted in through the sliding glass door (the one with the broken lock) of my balcony. Outside, a pile of butts gave off a stale stink from the corner; another was stuck between the slats of the floorboard. The white-haired lady outside the room below mine was contributing to the ambiance, but at least she took the dead butt with her when she finished. Obviously, the no-smoking rule for rooms is all wrong; instead of prohibiting people from smoking indoors, the hotel should arrest the smoke particles for coming inside despite every attempt by smokers to limit their pollution to the endless space a millionth of an inch and beyond that point.

My room had a mini-fridge and small microwave oven, a TV with remote, two telephones, complimentary coffee service and air conditioning. Everything worked.

The pop machine in the Paisley-carpeted hall did not. It lacked any indication of how much the drinks cost, so I guessed a buck, inserted a bill, pressed the "Coke" button and got nothing. Two more tries; same result. Pressing the coin return button got me 25 cents. I had to go to the front desk for a refund--a walk and a process that required far more than 75 cents worth time and paperwork it took to get it. I almost felt guilty.

When I first walked into my room, I thought the big empty space in the far corner seemed a bit odd, but looking again, I realized the room seemed light on furniture. Besides the bare-bones bed, dresser and two night stands, there was only a small pedestal table and two straight-backed wooden chairs. There was nothing that resembled or could serve as an easy chair--something every hotel room I've ever stayed in had. To watch TV comfortably, you'd have to sit on the bed. "We're remodeling a few rooms at a time," the front desk explained when I asked them. "Once that's done, the rooms will have all the usual furnishings."

"But in the meantime, you're still charging full price for the room," I argued, then got the clerk's signal that the conversation was over: "We don't guarantee what furniture comes with each room."

The complimentary breakfast. There are so many ways hotels offer this amenity. Here, the food was good and the proportions were adequate. The servers were upbeat, courteous and attentive. Beyond this, "well intentioned" seems is the only way to describe how this inn does it.

Breakfast is served in an adjoining restaurant (The Mark -- Dark wood paneling. Comfy ambiance. Moderate prices.) First, you go to the front desk to give them your room number, so freeloaders don't drift in off the streets, I'm guessing. Then, with many empty tables and booths spread out before you, you stand in line like a docile cow waiting to be fed. (In other hotels, you can walk in, grab a plate and head for the food. Like a human being.)

In due time, a cheerful staffer allows you to enter, which you do by walking up an aluminum ramp temporarily placed over the four or five steps and meant to prevent injuries to aged or infirm guests who use them, I'm guessing. (But, as one lady commented as she gingerly descended the slope, "I don't need a ramp, I need a handrail that goes more than half way.") The scratched and battered ramp with its ratty non-skid tape peeling off in patches clashes badly withThe Mark's image as a classy eatery.

Once seated, I was handed a menu describing the restaurant's full-priced offerings and they looked good enough to be tempting. The complimentary breakfast offerings were separated from the good stuff by a black border drawn around them. I could order from the little box and get it for free, or I could order a regular people's breakfast at the everyday price less three dollars. Pop Tarts weren't offered, so they lose points for that.

Credit should go to the inn's owners and/or managers for participating in the industry's effort to conserve water by providing fresh towels and bedding only by request or upon check out. I'm betting they could save a lot more water by replacing the five-gallon flush toilets with newer models that use less than two. The tank on mine was **huge**. And noisy.

Room Tip: If you don't like cigarette smoke, ask to inspect the room offered before accepting it. Smokers...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Yuma061_13
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Yuma061_13,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Sincerely, G. Sorrels, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Pahrump, Nevada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have enjoyed staying at this property for many years, however they recently changed their pet policy, not good. Animals are allowed to do their daily business anywhere they choose. We had a ground floor unit across from the gazebo and the beautiful fountain that was ruined by guests letting their animals use the grass area by our patio, was attacked by two small dogs while sitting in a chair on the patio, complained to hotel staff, received an indifferent attitude.

The property has really downgraded, so sad.

Room Tip: Ask for the executive suites, but be warned hotel has no elevator.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Kimo21,
Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize for your experience with another hotel guests small dogs. We do have a pet policy & apologize that the dogs you encountered were not being better monitored. I also apologize that when you complained to hotel staff that immediate action was not taken. I assure you that I will follow-up on your concerns immediately. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager
Colorado Springs
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stumbeled into this hotel just by luck. We really liked it, clean, comfortable, and quite, it has some real charm. Some reviews said it was outdated, I say it has character. Everyone was very nice. The breakfast was a little wanting, the restaurant was nice just mist the mark. The location is good as you are close to everything in Portland. I will stay next time I am in town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old section off the pond.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank wchambosse
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear wchambosse,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed two nights, used nearby public transportation (bus, metro) to get downtown, to Chinese Garden, and Japanese Garden. Staff very accommodating and provided breakfast proved to be very good. One of the few motels I have stayed with landscaping that made it comfortable to relax outside and still was within my budget. Will probably return again, although I discovered that I got off season pricing and it seems to be higher right now (May, 2014)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear rhphotog,
Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely hope that you will choose us again the next time you are in the area. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We arrived early about 45 minutes before ck-in. The nice lady said our room was already ready. The rooms are very spacious. Yes the Inn is a bit old style, but I found that Charming. Portland is right down the highway, like 10 minutes or less. There is also a bus that will take you into downtown Portland or to the nearby transit center. When we got to our room, our fridge was broken. We reported, toured the local area and it was fixed by the time we came back. The free breakfast wasn't extra fancy but it was sufficient. If you need an extra fancy place with tons of accommodations, this not the place for you. If you need a quaint place that is near a lot of different stores and in a convenient place then you'll be fine here. We found Beaverton to be a nice town with lots of things to do.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Loveflower2003,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to your next stay. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager
Coos Bay, Oregon
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Looking out from our room's deck as the sun rose this morning was rejuvenating! I enjoyed the pond with it's water feature and duck swimming around! The inside of the hotel is indeed dated, but then so am I! Although, I must say my 21 yr old son also enjoyed the stay. It is one of those places that has a ton of character! As you scan the lobby you'll find yourself saying "Look at that" and "Isn't that beautiful". The executive bldg doesn't offer the garden view, but is very comfortable! We switched to the garden view room 233 for last night and it certainly isn't exec comfort, but the hot tea on a cushioned veranda chair overlooking flowering shrubs and the pond was worth it! The free breakfast is at an actual sit down restaurant and superb! Also, free drink at the bar upon arrival! Plus, free shuttle to/from OHSU.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sharp 12000,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to your next stay! Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed three nights, would come again. Yes it is a bit dated but that is part of the charm. Clean and well kept. Everyone there greeted us with a smile and a hello. We were initially in a back room up a flight of stairs. The front desk was very accommodating, when we asked for a street level room for easy access. We ended up with a charming room with private porch looking over a center garden, and pond.
Dining room is full of dark woods, brass and Sinatra style music and smiling waitstaff. Breakfast is a hearty buffet.
Rooms are standard size, basic and clean. Bring your own pillow unless you like thick biscuit shaped lumpy ones;).
If quirky, quiet with amazing landscaping is attractive for you, this is the place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pond. Because of the terraine, there is actually easy access to the second...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Nancy M,

Thank you for your review. We look forward to your next stay with us. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager