“Pleasantly surprised”

Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Beaverton
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I recently stayed here for 2 nights, booked via a bidding site. I then read reviews, and was a little worried, but I had no problems during my stay. The place is very much of a different era, which some people like and some don't. I will say it has character, and they don't build them like this anymore, especially the well tended gardens/pond or the old school restaurant on site. My room was pretty average - CRT TV (didn't come there to watch TV, barely used it), not much furniture, but bed and bedding looked modern and updated. Wifi worked. I had an upper floor room, and it was quiet. Hallways looked older, but I didn't spend much time there either. The place was booked full both nights I was there, but didn't hear any problematic noise. Breakfast was a surprise, with a decent buffet in addition to the advertised choices - made it seem like that much better value. I didn't suspect any parking security problems, neighborhood is commercial but not rough. Don't stay here expecting a pampering Ritz Carlton style resort, but for something a little quirky and not terribly expensive, it works. Staff were always friendly. I'd stay again.

2  Thank heckflosse
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2014

Dear heckflosse,
Thank you for choosing Shilo Inns and for your review. I am glad your stay met your expectations. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager

There are newer reviews for Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were in town for a one night event down the road so chose Shilo because of the proximity. Got a decent price on a room and was pleasantly surprised. Although we didn't spend much time in the room, we got a good night's sleep, the room was quiet and the bed was comfy. Was only disappointed with the lack of wifi. Wish we could have tried out the pool but didn't get the time to do so. Breakfast was wonderful, expected the typical cup of coffee and packaged danish or "pour your own" waffles, but the free buffet had bacon, scrambled eggs, pancakes, muffins, fresh fruit and many other choices. The staff in the restaurant was great, and the front desk was very friendly. We would like to return when we have more time to take it all in.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed here again in November of 2013. See my previous review from September of 2008. I return here because it is in a quiet area away from lots of activity, though many stores & restaurants just a short distance away. Very easy access to Hwy 26 to the north Oregon Coast; and Hwy 217 which connects I-5 to Hwy 26. On premises is the Mark Restaurant which serves a daily breakfast included in the price of the room. They also have a very nice dinner selection. There is also a separate complete bar, plus a "cigar lounge" if you're into that:) The outdoor pool & hot tub are nice features.
I noticed a previous reviewer had a concern for safety as the parking lots are not well lit. I'm an older single woman, and I've stayed here most of my life. It is right on a well-traveled road, but I've never felt unsafe or noticed strangers lurking around anywhere. If concerned, tell the staff when you make the reservation or call them directly. There are many rooms that are just a few steps away from the parking lots.

Room Tip: Room hint: My favorites are in the building just NORTH of the reception/restaurant area. Not much...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank fc646
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear fc646,
Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We sincerely appreciate your choosing Shilo Inns. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The parking lot is large and is not lit with trees and bushes all around it. Then I had to walk for a bit to an outside door that is never locked, down a long poorly lit hallway to a keyed room with just a thumb lock (no electronic locks). The sliding door to the garden is locked with a plastic poll in the door sill. On the positive: good breakfast, nice people. As a woman traveling alone I'd never stay there again.

Room Tip: Apparently they do have some rooms with electronic locks. Ask for one.

Dear Dusty F,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that you did not feel safe and assure you that guest security is of utmost concern to us. I sincerely hope that you will allow us a future opportunity to earn your confidence. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times in the past. In general the service is very good, the people are friendly and they try to make all guests happy and comfortable. Recently I had made a reservation for just a one night stay (using one of the popular travel web sites like Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.) and found that when I arrived there was a mistake with the reservation. The only record available indicated that the reservation was for the night before. I was sure that was not the case. Long story short, the staff went out of their way to make sure I had a room worked out the date and rate issues behind the scenes, while I had a glass of wine in the bar. I appreciated the fact that mistakes happen, but, more importantly, good service to resolve problems and help a customer is what really matters. The hotel atmosphere is probably not for everyone, but I like the "old school" feel as long as it is clean, convenient, rates are reasonable and the people are friendly. Thanks for your help!

Dear Michael S,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Shilo Inns. We appreciate your being our valued guest and look forward to serving you again in the future. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager

Reviewed 2 June 2014

By reminding myself that this facility was built in an earlier era (they gave me a **metal** key, for gosh sakes, with my room number stamped into it) and during simpler times, I've decided my stay here was what I should have expected for under $100.

The inn is built on a sloping lot in the midst of the car-dealer-car-repair part of town. There are no elevators, but lodging is limited to three floors, a fact that seemed perfectly acceptable to the surprising number of seniors who seemed to be staying there during the weekend. The central courtyard features a gazebo, attractive gardens and a good-sized pond with a central geyser and well-tended plants around its edges. No wading and lots of mosquitos, however. At night, it's well-lighted.

When I arrived, my room and bedding were clean, as was the bathroom and carpeting. The odor of stale cigarette smoke in my no-smoking room was not. It wafted in through the sliding glass door (the one with the broken lock) of my balcony. Outside, a pile of butts gave off a stale stink from the corner; another was stuck between the slats of the floorboard. The white-haired lady outside the room below mine was contributing to the ambiance, but at least she took the dead butt with her when she finished. Obviously, the no-smoking rule for rooms is all wrong; instead of prohibiting people from smoking indoors, the hotel should arrest the smoke particles for coming inside despite every attempt by smokers to limit their pollution to the endless space a millionth of an inch and beyond that point.

My room had a mini-fridge and small microwave oven, a TV with remote, two telephones, complimentary coffee service and air conditioning. Everything worked.

The pop machine in the Paisley-carpeted hall did not. It lacked any indication of how much the drinks cost, so I guessed a buck, inserted a bill, pressed the "Coke" button and got nothing. Two more tries; same result. Pressing the coin return button got me 25 cents. I had to go to the front desk for a refund--a walk and a process that required far more than 75 cents worth time and paperwork it took to get it. I almost felt guilty.

When I first walked into my room, I thought the big empty space in the far corner seemed a bit odd, but looking again, I realized the room seemed light on furniture. Besides the bare-bones bed, dresser and two night stands, there was only a small pedestal table and two straight-backed wooden chairs. There was nothing that resembled or could serve as an easy chair--something every hotel room I've ever stayed in had. To watch TV comfortably, you'd have to sit on the bed. "We're remodeling a few rooms at a time," the front desk explained when I asked them. "Once that's done, the rooms will have all the usual furnishings."

"But in the meantime, you're still charging full price for the room," I argued, then got the clerk's signal that the conversation was over: "We don't guarantee what furniture comes with each room."

The complimentary breakfast. There are so many ways hotels offer this amenity. Here, the food was good and the proportions were adequate. The servers were upbeat, courteous and attentive. Beyond this, "well intentioned" seems is the only way to describe how this inn does it.

Breakfast is served in an adjoining restaurant (The Mark -- Dark wood paneling. Comfy ambiance. Moderate prices.) First, you go to the front desk to give them your room number, so freeloaders don't drift in off the streets, I'm guessing. Then, with many empty tables and booths spread out before you, you stand in line like a docile cow waiting to be fed. (In other hotels, you can walk in, grab a plate and head for the food. Like a human being.)

In due time, a cheerful staffer allows you to enter, which you do by walking up an aluminum ramp temporarily placed over the four or five steps and meant to prevent injuries to aged or infirm guests who use them, I'm guessing. (But, as one lady commented as she gingerly descended the slope, "I don't need a ramp, I need a handrail that goes more than half way.") The scratched and battered ramp with its ratty non-skid tape peeling off in patches clashes badly withThe Mark's image as a classy eatery.

Once seated, I was handed a menu describing the restaurant's full-priced offerings and they looked good enough to be tempting. The complimentary breakfast offerings were separated from the good stuff by a black border drawn around them. I could order from the little box and get it for free, or I could order a regular people's breakfast at the everyday price less three dollars. Pop Tarts weren't offered, so they lose points for that.

Credit should go to the inn's owners and/or managers for participating in the industry's effort to conserve water by providing fresh towels and bedding only by request or upon check out. I'm betting they could save a lot more water by replacing the five-gallon flush toilets with newer models that use less than two. The tank on mine was **huge**. And noisy.

Room Tip: If you don't like cigarette smoke, ask to inspect the room offered before accepting it. Smokers...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Yuma061_13

Dear Yuma061_13,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Sincerely, G. Sorrels, General Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have enjoyed staying at this property for many years, however they recently changed their pet policy, not good. Animals are allowed to do their daily business anywhere they choose. We had a ground floor unit across from the gazebo and the beautiful fountain that was ruined by guests letting their animals use the grass area by our patio, was attacked by two small dogs while sitting in a chair on the patio, complained to hotel staff, received an indifferent attitude.

The property has really downgraded, so sad.

Room Tip: Ask for the executive suites, but be warned hotel has no elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Kimo21,
Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize for your experience with another hotel guests small dogs. We do have a pet policy & apologize that the dogs you encountered were not being better monitored. I also apologize that when you complained to hotel staff that immediate action was not taken. I assure you that I will follow-up on your concerns immediately. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager