“We like 'em quirky!”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Beaverton
Seattle, Washington
“We like 'em quirky!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Admittedly, I waited until the last minute to book a room for our stay prior to the Northwest String Summit (Bluegrass Festie) nearby at Hornings Hideout. We needed a room for one night prior to the camping festival so we could be rested from traveling long distances and wake up early and head out with our cars packed to the gills with camping gear. I didn't have many choices left by the time I made the ressie, and Shilo sounded good enough, especially since many of the more mainstream and slightly higher quality hotel/motel chains were already booked up. We were able to get a good discount through Travelocity, entering their 20 percent off code as TRIP. I think we ended up with an EXECUTIVE KING SUITE (which is not a suite, but a room with a great bed). It is in the newer part of the motel..and has been renovated.

The hotel itself has sections-- the older section is off of the courtyard, mainly overlooking the pool area and a pond. I'd ask for the renovated executive rooms, personally.

Now, the hotel-- my sig other had a terrible check in experience. He arrived first, and had to wait about 45 minutes with many other guests in a line, all arriving at check in time or just after. There was ONE reservation assistant helping all those people, one at a time. Are you serious?? You know it's a summer week when your hotel is close to full... and you HAVE other people sitting or standing around-- put them to work! Hire another minimum wage worker to help from Thurs-Sun, or whatever you busiest times are. The A/C was clearly not working well in the lobby, and everyone was drenched. THANK GOD FOR THE POOL! Sig other dumped his stuff in the room, just as i arrived, grunted, and ran down to the pool area. I met him there, and found him at the medium sized pool area lounging before jumping in. It was a comfortable, not fancy area, but very adequate and relaxing. The pool itself was very warm (we don't mind that, but others will).

We missed dinner at The Mark by half an hour, but had a drink and a snack in the very retro (70's-- not in a hip ironic way, but in a real and relaxed way). It was darkish,and the happy hour menu was great. Good beers, cocktails, and divine food. In the morning, we did make it to the included breakfast buffet, and it was yummy. Great thick bacon, fresh eggs, fruit, etc. Not fancy, mind you, but just yummy. Of course you could order off the regular menu if you want to, and based on some of the food i saw coming out, I think i would do that next time. Coffee was pretty good, and I'm a serious coffee snob from the Seattle area.

The staff was all very friendly-- we'd stay again if in the area.
If you don't mind a bit quirky, and not so chain-like, give it a try, in the newer rooms.

Pros: outdoor pool
Good a/c
comfy bed
nice staff
value oriented
great bar w really surprisingly good food

Cons:
My shower during peak time in the morning was just lukewarm. This was akin to misery for me.

Restaurant should be open later on a busy summer Thursday. Closing at 9? Not so good. Keep one waitperson and one chef on if it isn't busy.

Room Tip: executive rooms/suites are still very affordable and are renovated
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Terrapindreamr,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to your next stay with us. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Bend, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Chose this hotel for location. When I booked, I was promised room on the far side, in the back so as to have quiet. Instead, they "Upgraded" me to what they call a "Suite" (Room 384) which was 30 feet from Busy Canyon Blvd and it's heavy traffic. As a result, no sleep that night. When I complained the next morning, I was merely brushed me off - They don't care about the customer. The whole place is run down and dated also. The "Free Breakfast" they told me about, turned out to be a 12 dollar two egg runny omelet choice in the morning. I choose not to eat there. The "Renovated" Room had uneven floor heights. Ended up catching my toe on the 1 inch lip at the bathroom door and almost falling. They really need to check in to this, for someone could get hurt! The "Free Wifi" was terrible - had to constantly reboot and sign back in.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank C S
Dear C S,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize that your stay failed to meet your expectations. I hope that you will give us a future opportunity to earn your confidence. Kind Regards, G. Sorrels-General Manager
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We had booked three king sized rooms for two nights for our out of town guests.
When we brought our guests to the Shilo Inn, we were shocked to find the establishment so dated and very poorly maintained throughout. Torn and dirty carpets throughout, it was disgusting.
The owners of this establishment should be ashamed. And the prices were not low either.
We do wonder about the positive reviews - who wrote those ?
No, we did not expect The Four Seasons Hotel. We do however expect reasonable maintenance and not a smelly and dusty environment.

Room Tip: GO SOMEPLACE ELSE. There are other hotels and motels in the area. Same price for less $$. Apparentl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lykkelig-rejsende
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this review, 25 September 2014
Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize that you stay was not as anticipated. Your concerns have been communicated to the team and corrective action will be implemented. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager
Reno
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Older property that is being renovated. Our room was recently updated with all new bathroom and carpeting. Bed was a little soft for us, but would imagine most folks would like it. Room was clean and spacious.

Only thing I would question - we were told this was an accessible room which it was not. The only thing that could be called handicapped was a grab bar in the tub\shower combination. The shower head was located very high and the toilet was very low - almost child size.

Dear cdfoss,

Milton Freewater, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Upon arrival 3:45PM I was told out room was not ready. It only took a couple of minutes and it was ready.
We were on the second floor in room 250. The floor was very hot the AC was not working in the hall. And the lights were flickering next to our room and did all night, It was fixed the next day. Our room was dirty. Floors, counters just not ok. Also no cups in the room, no drinking cups or coffee cups.
Went to the pool oh wow!! Could not swim in it chlorine was so strong. Also the walkways were so dirty it hurt to walk barefoot on them. The deck up by the pool in dangerous to even walk on and the stairs should be closed as the boards are rotten and nails are sticking up all over. Not happy with this property at all.

Room Tip: Do not know of any good rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Rick S
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Hotel & Suites - Beaverton, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear rsaager,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I hope that you will give us a future opportunity to earn your confidence. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager
Roseburg, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We arrived on July 2nd. Upon getting into the room discovered very outdated unsanitary conditions, a quick google search revealed a large prostitution sting last year at the hotel. The door was an old key lock without a safety latch and the door into the main hallway where the room was wasn't lockable. After discovering all of this I asked the front door for a refund, that I'd like to stay somewhere safer. The front desk said they issued a refund and my card wouldn't be charged. Even gave me a 'receipt' stating that fact.

Imagine my surprise when they charged my card two days later. I called the hotel three times, without any answer. On the fourth time I did get an answer, but was hung up on after asking to speak to a manager. Now I have to go through BBB and my credit card company to get a refund.

I'm very disappointed, I've stayed at Shilo Inns before and never imagined this happening. I feel lied to and stolen from. I highly recommend spending a little more money for a safe, comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Alisha H
Dear Alisha H,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. I also apologize that you felt unsafe at our property. You were not charged for you stay. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

A good bet when traveling to the Portland area. Close to zoo and downtown while having a fairly rural setting this motel is showing it's age yet remains a fair bargain when booked online. The water was less than warm however the staff responded fairly quickly and the problem was fixed. Parking lot in the lower unit was dark and scarey when returning at night. Single females (or males) without martial art skills should maybe think about getting a room in the upper building. Included breakfast was good. Coffee was excellent. Room chemicals (smelly stuff) are pretty heavy. Opening the window helps.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are down away from Canyon Blvd.
1 Thank Bradford7050
Dear Bradford7050,
Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely hope that you will choose us again the next time you are in the area. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager