“Wonderful visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 43 Hotels in Bend
Kirkland, Washington
“Wonderful visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

We stayed at the Shilo Inn Suites/Hotel for a near by wedding this past weekend. We found it to be a very comfortable, clean and enjoyable destination. We had a nicely appointed rooms. The carpet and sofa as well as bedspread appeared to be new. I believe they are updating as it is not a new hotel. Ours happened to be on the river side which was beautiful as well as peaceful. They have a wonderful hot breakfast each morning. The grounds are very well cared for. We noticed a lot of families enjoying the pool and grounds. They allow pets for a small fee per stay but I didn't see or hear any so it was not a problem. We did not use the pool this time because we were away quite a bit of the time.

There are numerous shopping opportunities very close by as well as several restaurants. We also visited the city of Sisters for lunch one day. It was a lovely drive. Bend is a beautiful city in the summer. I understand the winters are great if you enjoy skiing etc.

The staff is friendly and very accommodating. We enjoyed dinner in the hotel restaurant and they also offer a happy hour menu. We had travelled 7 hours and were quite tired when we arrived so we enjoyed the latter for a quick bite.

We were there for pleasure but noticed that they had a large business area for meetings etc.

Room Tip: We were looking for a peaceful as well as a quiet area. We found the river side 400 building to be...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Winchester, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night with the veteran discount, you can book any available room with the vet rate, so we chose a river view executive suite with jetted tub. Nice room, big, fridge and microwave. Sink in the bathroom, sink outside the bathroom with large mirror, and a third sink by the microwave. The jetted hottub in the room near the fireplace was a nice touch, and out the window about 25 feet from our room was the Deschutes river flowing by. Not the newest facility, and not the most stylish room, but considering all we got for what I paid I could care less what the carpet & curtains look like! Only thing I didn't care for was the mirror on the ceiling directly above the hottub.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Mrkavich,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay. We do offer a great rate for veterans in appreciation for your service. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you come and stay with us again.

Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

This hotel has many things going for it....good breakfast, great location, comfortable beds. Our room however was not clean. Crumbs and dirt on stained rug, everything dusty, no soap and other amenities. Looked like housekeeping just changed the sheets and put towels in. Front desk not as responsive to the problem as we would have hoped and it took several days to get just the carpet vacuumed. I could have made do with less breakfast and more cleanliness in the room. Probably will not return.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Catherine P
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

I was somewhat skeptical about booking here after reading the reviews but decided to book two rooms for our family. We stayed in the 300 and 400 buildings on the bottom floor, river side. When we checked in, only one of the rooms was available. It was 3:30. I have to say that I have checked in to many hotels before the designated check in time without a problem but was told that check in is at 4:00 and that the second room wouldn't be available until then. The property is HUGE. The room in the 300 building had newer carpet and a great river view. Our room was clean in the 400 building with a good river view as well. It is an older hotel that could use some updating. The outdoor pool didn't have towels when we went for a swim in the evening but when we went to the indoor pool, it had plenty and a staff member was checking to make sure there were towels available. Breakfast is in the restaurant and there were plenty of food choices, hot and cold. It was a decent buffet breakfast. We didn't run into any dog poop or see any either. I am not sure whether I would stay here again or book something newer and smaller.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kta99
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear kta99,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. Our property is an 8 acre property along the Deschutes River. We do have a large variety of rooms on the property and some have been updated more recently than others. We do appreciate your feedback and use it to improve our guests experience.

Bellevue, WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

While driving home after a week long trip, we decide to make an unplanned stop for the night in Bend. We had never stayed at a Shiloh Inn before and we will never again. They should not be charging competitive rates, but low budget rates. Upon checking in, there was one front desk clerk, apologetic and nice, but faced with a very long line at 8:30 PM. One customer had to wait in this line because he had only decaf coffee in his room and was then given decaf to replace it. The clerk called housekeeping for him. This seemed like a theme as she had to stop our check-in and call housekeeping numerous times for guest requests. We should have known...

We asked for the most quiet room and was given one near a staircase and four feet from a loud ice machine, directly across from our door. Guess how long the line was to change! We gave up. Besides hearing footsteps above us all night long along with footfalls from the staircase we had the never ending background din of the ice machine we could even hear with the TV on.

Room 305 with a king bed has with a nice river behind it, thats about all thats nice. The F-glass tub was very soft/spongy to stand in with a very long crack. The bath had only two medium-small bath towels and a shampoo for barely one shower, don't expect any lotion! There were no water glasses! Oh, and the coffee; one single small serving of decaf! The carpet was dark green, which could not mask the dirt and stains. We were shocked to remove the old bedspread with holes, and see a corner of a bare mattress, without a mattress pad and only an unfitted sheet that barely covered it. The toilet ran all night and there were visible stains within the grout and tile of the floor. The front door was something you would not want to touch without sterilizing your hands throughly, with grease and drip stains.

After being totally disgusted, we decided to forgo the complimentary breakfast, how could we take such a risk?

There are many better, comfortable, clean hotels in the area who charge either less or the same.

Shelby

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Seastory
Dear Seastory,

I am sorry to hear that there were a few items with your stay that were not up to Shilo standards. We do read all comments to find out what we are doing well and areas we need to improve. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Kevin Coelsch

Travellers are raving about these Bend hotels

Clovis, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

The site is really nice with lots of greenscape to wander around on, be carefull though this is a pet friendly hotel and even though dogs are not allowed down by the river, their poop is everywhere. Somebody needs to police and clean this area up a few times a day IMO. The room is large and nice, the bathrrom is pretty much a closet and you have to twist yourself around the toilet to turn on the shower as they are so close to each other. The AC woudnt turn off so we unplugged it, the night light on the porch is a horrendous addition as it stays on all night beaming its ray right into the room. The curtains do not block the light. Check in was a disater and took us over two hours waiting for a clean room while we sat there listening to people without reservation come in off the street and get the same type rooms we reserved right away. This really made me angry, they gave me a free drink coupon or 10% off dinner at their place for my troubles. I can tell you, take the drink! The dinner there is not so good and the free breakfast shouldnt even be offered, I think its the worst ive had.

Rate are high but so is everywhere else, I just think this place doesnt waarent competing rate wise with the others in town, it should deffinatly be cheaper.

Over all its a bed, was clean and close to lots to do so i give it an average rating.

Room Tip: The view of the river probably isint worth the extra 50 bucks. And the dog poop right outside the do...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jtabur
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Bend, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear jtabur,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We do police the river, but being that at times it is home to 100s of geese and ducks sometimes they get ahead of us. I am sorry that your check in experience could have gone smoother I will look into what the problems might have been that night. I am surprised that the breakfast was not to your liking. We receive positive comments from people almost everyday about the breakfast buffet. I hope that if you choose to come back your experience with us will prove to be better.

Portland, Oregon, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

One thing I can say about Shiloh Inns, they do take care of military and veterans, with a very reduced rate. I have stayed at many Shilo Inn's as I am a disabled veteran. When I spoke to reservations, I mentioned that I was handicapped, and that I needed a ground floor room. I was assured I would have one. I was told by reservation that it would be a double queen with kitchenette, with a river view. Again, very good price.
Upon check in, I was told that my room was on the second floor. I reiterated that I was handicapped, but the front desk clerk informed me that the type of room I reserved were sold out on the first floor. What really irked me, was that when I was waiting to be helped, I could overhear the front desk person checking in a gentleman who did not have a reservation. After checking her computer, she gave him a room identical to the one I had reservations for. It was also on the ground floor. When my turn came around, I was told my room was on the second floor. I let them know I requested a ground floor, but was told they were all "sold out" of that room on the first floor. Yeah, they just gave it to the guy without reservations. So, I asked where the elevator was. NO ELEVATOR. I was just like, I'm handicapped, and made reservations for a ground floor room, had my reservation number etc... To bad. If I wanted a ground floor room, I would have to downgrade my choice of room. I was ticked. I went ahead and took the second floor room, however, it took me twenty minutes just to go the one flight of stairs. Once inside the room, it was pretty shabby. Believe it or not, they use actual room keys, not cards. My 22yo daughter had never seen an actual room key. The beds were on wheels, so be careful to check under the bed to make sure you don't leave anything behind. I went to turn on the A/C, however, it wasn't working. I called the front desk, and they said they could move me to another room, this one on the first floor. It did not have the kitchenette, but I had little choice. They offered to have the keys delivered, and help with my belongings if needed. Once in that room, again, the A/C was not working. I called the front desk, and they had to have their maintenace staff come and fix it. They did do this in a very timely manner. The bed and pillows were VERY uncomfortable. They haven't changed their mattresses for years it seemed. Room service was quick, and the food was good. All in all, a pretty shabby Shilo.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Helen G
Dear Helen G,

I am sorry to hear that you had some problems with your room choice. We do have accessible rooms in all 4 buildings on the river however none of them have kitchenettes in them. Unfortunately, we do not have elevators and some room types are only available on the second or third floors. We are always willing to help and do what we can to fix any problems that may arise. It sounds like the maintenance staff was able to repair the a/c unit quickly for you. Thank you for telling us about your stay. We will use your critique to learn from and improve our guests overall experience.