“NO WAY !!!”

Crane Prairie Reservoir Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bend
Crane Prairie Reservoir Campground
Ranked #9 of 13 Speciality Lodging in Bend
Bend, Oregon
“NO WAY !!!”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Rate it at a "0" out of ten If I could rate it lower I would. We arrived fri 8/10 late afternoon as my wife, mother in law and myself walked in we went up to the counter and the owner was helping a oriental family who were obvious tourists. There was a language barrier and the owner seemed put off by it. The lady and her family were there to rent a small boat for just a couple hours he told her the fee was $15 she had no problem and handed him a amex card he charged her card and handed her the receipt to sign she made a comment on being charged $16 not $15 she thought the boat costs he said I told you I charge a dollar to use credit card she was obviously confused but rather than try to calmly explain he rudely grabbed $16 cash from the drawer and handed it to her as he was telling her how patient he had been and how he was doing her a favor all the while one of his clerks is physically removing the life jacket off of one of the children then told them to leave. Now comes my turn at the counter the owners wife is helping us. I told her we had reservations for the larger cabin for 2 nights and the larger pontoon boat so she was starting to write the tickets up and was just being short I said bad day ? she said ya. when it came time to pay ($450) I was going over the ticket and noticed that the boat was not on it for Sun. I said what about the 1/2 day rental on Sun. she said we already rented it and we don't rent half day. I'm like your website says otherwise as did the person we spoke to two weeks ago when we made reservations. She argued with me saying they would not tell us that. I said to them you know were here getting ready to drop around 500 bucks and you wont rent us the boat for a half day on sun.? She looks at her husband Now I'm a bit perplexed and I say no wonder you get such bad reviews online. The owner looks at me and says.... what ? so I say it again and he looks at his wife and says have you ran there card yet ? Telling her he doesn't care if we rent or not. At this point we have our kids anxiously waiting for a camping trip along with boat fishing etc. and just wanted to pay and move on. So reluctantly I did ($322) went outside and felt like crap literally I hate confrontations like that and still felt bad about the oriental lady. Parked by the cabin and stated putting our stuff inside. I am using the word cabin very loosely !! you could see through the walls !! Thank god we brought our own sleeping bags. Boat was ok at best. Sat evening wife wanted a shower after we returned the boat it was 7:15 pm the owner lady says showers close @ 7:30 saying she kept them open extra long tonight (sun hasn't even gone down yet) That evening sitting by the fire there was a dog barking in a forest service camp site across the small cove and the owner guy yells across the way shut your dam dog up !! I didn't really know if I wanted to spend this much time writing a review but I really hope someone takes note and avoids the resort period !! The lake is great and if you must stay in a cabin or need supplies there is other places nearby. WE will not EVER go back to the resort !! Aside from the negative the lake was beautiful sun was hot the fishing well not so much

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
15 Thank Mike T

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Talk about being in the wrong business Pat and Jody the owners are just the two most terrible resort owners ever, They almost ruined our family vacation had our reservations wrong and instead of trying to fix it basically told us take it or leave. Both are both rude and intolerant. I kept expecting a candid camera crew to pop out because these people are beyond rude and I would have never guessed they were really this awful. This is all a shame since the camp ground is nice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Oregon-HawgPI

Travellers are raving about these Bend hotels

Montesano, Washington
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Our family camped here the week of July 4th and had a great time. While the definition of the owners by "group b" still applies, we didn't have too much interaction with them. They now have flush toilets in the campground if you're in the lower camping area where the tent sites are located. They also provide electricity at the tent sites, which is a plus.
Overall it's a nice little campground. The store was well stocked and the boat rental prices weren't too high. The views are amazing from the campground and the lake. Beautiful views of South Sister, Broken Top, and Mt. Bachelor from just about everywhere along the lake.
The laundry and shower facilities were clean but somewhat spartan.
The fishing was down when we were there but we benefited by the central location of the campground. It's close to many of the Cascade Lakes and they're all within reasonable driving distance.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ed H
Gearhart, Oregon
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Owner Jody made it obvious she did NOT want our family reunion at the 'Resort' last summer. And she made sure to let us know how much of a hassle family reunions are for her, everytime we contacted her from the reservation phase right on through the last day of our stay. This 'sour' attitude continued despite our agreement that I would handle all charges & reservations so that she would only have to deal with one person.

Jody is the first example of a 'resort manager from hell' that I have encountered in my 44 years of organizing family reunions. Her persona could be the reason this 'resort' still had 'cabins' available months after all other Central Oregon reservations were completely full.

I delayed writing this negative review only because the 'resort' had quite friendly, courteous hosts who we enjoyed dealing with each day. Even they could not entirely remove the stink of Jodi's confrontational manner. If you don't have a large group, you may not get hassled. If you have a multi-family group, RUN from this 'resort.'

Room Tip: No complaints about the cabins, but be aware, when you rent a 'cabin' for $50 in high season...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank group b
Portland, OR
Reviewed 27 May 2008

We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend, 2008. The weather was rainy, which hampered our ability to really see everything this camp ground has to offer. We spent most of our time around the campsite under our canopy, and didn't really get to hiking and exploring around.

From what we did experience though, the campground was quite well kept up. The grounds and facilities were very clean. There were pit toilets within the campground, and flush toilets and showers near the "resort". The shower facilities did not have mirrors or electric plug-ins.

The area was very beautiful, and I would have liked to spend some time exploring it. There is interesting lava rock throughout the campground, in large climbable mounds and scattered around the earth and ringing the fire pits. Most camp sites were not very private though. There is not a lot of undergrowth in that area and type of forest, so there isn't a lot of vegetation to visually separate one camp site from the other. However, this does allow for many campsites to have lovely view of the lake.

The lake is quite lovely, with a great view of the three sisters when it isn't too cloudy. There is fishing and boat rentals. Where we were, the lake was quite shallow near the shore, so fishing from the shore was just not an option.

This campground will not make it on my list of favorite campgrounds, but we had a nice time, and enjoyed our stay. If I could ensure that I was able to reserve a private campsite (and I thought the weather would be nicer) I would happily stay here again. I can't say that I would recommend it to friends, though. There are so many campgrounds in that area, that there may be something better out there.

3 Thank galaxyfish