“Great Day on the Deschutes River”

Ouzel Outfitters - Oregon & Idaho Rafting
More attraction details
Owner description: Ouzel Outfitters offers you the opportunity for less "screen time" and more "green time". Join us with your family or friends for one of a wide variety of whitewater rafting adventures in Oregon or Idaho. From half-day whitewater "fixes" to week-long wilderness adventures, we're bound to have the right trip for you. Choose from (Oregon) Rogue, Deschutes, McKenzie, North Umpqua, John Day, Owyhee (Idaho) Lower Salmon.
Boston MA Area
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great Day on the Deschutes River”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My family of 4 (with 2 teenage girls) took a full day rafting trip on the Deschutes river. From the moment we met our guides Claire and Allison in Maupin, they were very professional and personable. They only had 8 people booked that day (us and another group of 4), and I was happy to see that there were 2 rafts and 2 guides, so that each family had a raft to themselves. I guessed that this was for safety's sake - the guides helped and backed each other up. (I saw several other rafting companies on the river with only one raft with eight people in it). Our guide Claire was absolutely terrific, and helped make my nervous wife comfortable with going on the raft. Claire knew a lot about the river and the rapids we would go through, as well as the mountains on either side of the river and was able to make the day interesting even if there hadn't been whitewater (Who knew there was a squirrel bridge over the river in Maupin?) She made going through the rapids a lot of fun, but at the same time we never felt we were in any danger or risk at all. The guides prepared a very good spread for lunch, and that was well organized and enjoyable. My whole family enjoyed their day with Claire, and she made it so that this is something that we'd do again when given the chance.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Peter S

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“McKenzie River Half Day Trip”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My husband and I had an awesome time rafting down the McKenzie River. Our guide, Will, was super professional, knowledgable, and friendly -- he put everyone at ease from the beginning and explained everything beforehand so we knew exactly what to expect since no one in our group had done any rafting before. The river itself was a serene experience that stands out as one of my favorite adventures to date. We will definitely be using Ouzel Outfitters again in the future, highly recommended -- my only regret is that we did a half-day trip instead of a full day trip!!

Sunriver, Oregon
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Fun, Exciting and Knowledgable Outfitting Company”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This was our first time whitewater rafting and Ouzel Outfitters made it a fabulous experience! We signed up for the 1 Day Deschutes River trip and Donna, Will and David were our guides for the day. They were extremely knowledgeable of the river and the surrounding wildlife. The guides were friendly, made sure we were always safe and ensured that we had an amazing experience. They were also very accommodating to my gluten sensitive needs when preparing lunch. I also liked that I could check trip availability on their website. My group all agreed that we can't wait to set up a multi-day trip with Ouzel Outfitters. Thank you Donna, Will and David for a fantastic rafting experience!!

Park City, Utah
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Super fun time on the Deschutes”
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

We went on the 1-day Deschutes trip and had a great time. Since we had our kids with us, safety was important to us. The guides made us feel very safe while having a blast. We had guided ourselves down a river before but it was not nearly as fun. Our guides Shelby and A.J. knew the best places to get out and swim, play games, and play on natural water slides. Now, I want to come back and do a multi-day trip!

2 Thank TravelFamUtah
Murrieta, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“If you are in the Bend, OR area, DO THIS!!!”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My husband and I booked this trip the DAY BEFORE we were to go (I don't recommend that!) mostly because we hemmed and hawed about going. (Two 50-somethings out on raft??) We called one company (which shall remain nameless) and the young lady admonished us for trying to book last minute ("people book these trips weeks in advance!") and couldn't answer any of our questions. My husband hung up and called Ouzel Outfitters. Brian answered all of his questions, recommended a trip and said "No problem, I have two spots on that trip tomorrow". We were still quite anxious though, and worried about the cold water, about falling in, etc. etc.

Our fears were put to rest immediately by the demeanor of Tim and Anthony of this company who met us to take us from Bend to the river. Did they promise us "nothing will happen" or "the water is warm"? NO! They were honest with us. But it was so clear that they knew their stuff and took it seriously that my anxiety was immediately alleviated.

The trip was FANTASTIC!! What a blast!! We've zip-lined in Maui, swam with rays in Grand Cayman, had many great trips and adventures, but this is one of my top ten. Not just because of the fun of the rafting, (although it is SOOOO fun), but also because our river guide, Tim (and Anthony too) have such a great wealth of knowledge about the area and nature in general that it is more than just a rafting trip. Tim's expertise on the river allowed us to walk that delicate balance between excitement and actual danger. He gave us thrills without putting us at risk.

I would HIGHLY recommend this company, this activity and especially TIm and Anthony. They made this a really memorable day. We are already planning to come back for one of the 3- or 4-day trips!!

Visited June 2013