“Hidden treasure”

Platypus Pub
Ranked #348 of 469 Restaurants in Bend
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

This place is a must. Great food, great service, quaint location, wonderful music. Rustic location but most memorable. I can't wait to return. Very understated place and most defiantly worth a visit

1  Thank Charles B

Reviewed 24 June 2014

It was a rainy day and we were in the mood for clam chowder bread bowls and found this place! SO glad we did. It was unanimous - everyone who had the bread bowls said the chowder was the best they had - anywhere! Also tried the cheesy bread - just a snack - but finished it all! We were fortunate enough to be there when the chef just finished a chocolate/coconut creme brulee. Just a taste and we boxed some up to take home - since we were TOO full to even share one. The outside is deceiving - its a fun little place and the staff is wonderful!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Driving past and thought this looked like an interesting place to stop for a beer... An old church conversion... Who doesn't want to have a drink at church? The bartender was a great guy, very helpful and informative and just an all around nice person! Beer selection excellent! Make it a point to stop by this fun, friendly spot!

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We have been wanting to stop in to this little pub for a white now. Even though it is on the main drag it is a little out of the way and can get forgotten in the shadow of so many new breweries in Bend. Parking can be limited, but we found a spot nearby. The atmosphere is that of a local neighborhood pub with lots of regulars coming in. Lots of tables so there is room for everyone. They had 16 beers on tap, from a variety of micro breweries including some of their own. They rotate through various microbrews so the selection changes - prices per pint were $4.50 to $6.00. We tried the Ballast Point Sculpin IPA and the Platypus Flat Tail Pale Ale and they were OK. My husband doesn't like beer that is too bitter or hoppy, but unfortunately even with the Pale Ale that is what he got. Even my IPA was pretty bitter but still good. We really wish pubs serving microbrews would publish the IBUs and not just the ABV. That helps to narrow down what you'd like or not. The service was good - both friendly, attentive, and quick. The food was Okay. We ordered the clam chowder since they had advertised it as "the best in town." It was REALLY pretty good. I had the chicken caesar salad and my husband had the fish 'n chips. My salad was a large portion and the chicken was tender and tasty. He said his meal was kind of mushy - both the breading and the fish, so he wouldn't recommend it. Most dinners in the $9 to $15 range which is high for a pub but reasonable for Bend. Menu is online on their website as is a list of their beers on tap.

The brew shop upstairs boasts that they have the largest selection of bottled beers in town. If you are looking for something in particular they may have it.

You might want to checkout happy hour sounds like they have some good specials.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband had stopped in to try the pub one afternoon when I was working and liked it so much he took me back that evening. Had the best prime rib dinner we've had in forever. My husband had the clam chowder instead of salad, OMG it was the best. We talked to the chef and asked if he could make a salmon chowder too. "Only if I catch it myself" we'll get you a pole. Great beer selection and appetizers too. We want to get back often to try it all!