“Exceptional Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Eugene, Oregon
“Exceptional Stay”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Stayed for 4 nights as a homebase for trips to Crater Lake and The Painted Hills.. Fantastic location, excellent housekeeping staff, super friendly desk staff in lobby, room was totally quiet even on the weekend, 24/7 access to pool/spa/exercise room, 24/7 cookies/coffee/lemon water, not overly solicitous, fantastic!. Location cannot be beat, room overlooking the Deschutes River, tons of shops and restaurants and movies to walk to in minutes. Hotel is new so super clean, bed is really comfortable. I have two minor things I felt were lacking: 1- a makeup mirror and 2-an onscreen tv guide. Otherwise everything is superb!

Room Tip: Get a balcony room overlooking the river on a high floor,.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Don S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bend, responded to this review, 26 May 2013
Im am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn Bend and how much our staff made you feel welcome. I look forward to your return as our guest once again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Sadly, after many years of repeat pilgrimage to this hotel in Bend, I find myself looking for a new "go-to" hotel when in the area. Not because the hotel has become bad, or gone down hill...it hasn't. But rather, due to its new pricing under the new franchise name of HGI.

It's not that the new pricing is out-of-the-world ridiculous....I've spent much more in certain cities across the US, and internationally. But everything is relative. And relative to the previous pricing (just last year, and all of the previous years) under the old franchise name of Ameritell Inn, I find the 45% price increase a tad on the high side. Not to mention a tad on the high side for an HGI.....by more than double.

And this becomes especially true when you consider that (1) it is the same property it was a year ago under the previous name....nice then, nice now, but NOT 45% nicer. (2) same hotel owner, which for some reason adds to my annoyance of the price increase and makes me use the phrase 'gouge'. (3) internet access is now an added on fee, whereas it used to be complimentary. (4) Breakfast now an added on fee, whereas it used to be complimentary.

So there you have it. Huge price increase, along with the removal of several complimentary items that really added to the previous franchise's value. No Mas HGI of Bend, No Mas.

You know, sometimes making a change, in the name of "principal", is stupid. Perhaps I'll regret my decision to no longer come here. On the other hand, maybe standing up for what I believe in, and taking action against price gouging, is a good thing. Especially when there happens to be another hotel establishment in Bend (I won't list the name here, so as not to have my review prohibited) that is newer, rated 4 star, a national award winner, offers free internet, and happens to actually boast a lower price tag. Hmmm....yeah, I think I'll be OK.

3 Thank reddyrider2016
San Mateo, California
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn when visiting Bend. We stayed for 3 nights this time (May 2013). Everything was fine as usual except for the cleaning staff. We walked out of our room (early morning) on our second day there....saw a cleaning maid and asked her to clean our room since we were on our way out for a few hours. Came back at 4:30pm and the room was still not cleaned or serviced. Come to find out, the maid did not understand my instructions that it was O.K. to clean our room (she was of spanish decent). Apparently she did not understand plain ENGLISH!!!!

We had dinner at the hotel each night and the chef is excellent. His name if Mitch....make sure he is working during your visit...he will cook you an excellent meal.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Don S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bend, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Thank you for your positive comments and feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn Bend. We love to hear when everything was perfect as well as where and what areas we can improve upon from our guest’s perspective. I do apologize for the miscommunication and/or misunderstanding with our housekeeping staff, please always feel free to contact the front desk and they ensure your request is properly communicated. We pride ourselves in offering the highest level of comfort and service to each and every one of our guests and look forward to having you stay with us once again on your next trip to Beautiful Bend!

Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Called to reserve a room for my husband who has completed 2 tours of Iraq and was being sent to Bend for military training. I asked if they had a government rate and was told it was $199 per night! It seems that government employees get to pay more to stay. Seriously...this was one of the most expensive hotel rooms in Bend. Needless to say, we opted for a room at the Riverhouse -- government rate $89.00

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ponygirl56
I would first like to personally thank your husband for all he has done and continues to do to serve our country and you as a military spouse. We do offer the Government rate on our standard rooms based on availability however the dates your husband needed we only had a few of our deluxe and suites available but unfortunately the government rate does not apply. I do apologize we did not have the availability for the dates you needed. On your next trip to Bend I would be honored to meet and thank your husband in person. Please feel free to contact myself personally in regards to booking a room with us here at the Hilton.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

From start to end, my stay at Hilton Garden Inn in Bend, OR was absolutely amazing!!! I arrived and walked into the beautiful lobby with the fire going and met Kelly at the front desk for check in. I cannot say enough great things about Kelly, she was extremely welcoming, professional, courteous and helpful. I inquired about an upgrade from the basic room and she gave me a room with a great view and balcony!!! We were chatting and I asked her about good places to eat, she recommended the restaurant in the hotel, and I told her I was thinking about going to the Deschutes Brewery pub because I liked there beer. She told me that it was nice but a little touristy and to try out Brother Jon's Alehouse. She told me they had amazing food and beer there. So I took her up on her recommendation, and I couldn't have been happier. The restaurant outdid any expectations, and I have to say that I had the best service ever by our waitress Johnny. Kelly definitely made my stay a memory for a lifetime and making me to want to come back soon!!!

When I came back from dinner and drinks I was greeted by Danielle who was very kind and sweet. She told me all about the pool and hot tub and how it was open all night!!!! I was thrilled to be able to go in the hot tub and have the heat soak into my back after the long day I had. After I was done she asked how everything was and gave me a water bottle. Her customer service was fantastic.

The room was incredible, very spacious and clean with a beautiful view. I slept like a rock and was never bothered by anything.

I woke up the next morning well rested and was getting dressed and had noticed that my shirt had some lint on it. So I called down to the front desk and spoke to Cindy, who kindly offered me the lint roller that was in the office downstairs. I went to retrieve the lint roller and was once again greeted with a warm welcoming smile and good morning with the lint roller sitting on the counter for me. I thanked her and went back upstairs to clean my shirt. I returned the lint roller upon check out and was surprised how extremely simple and quick it was. Cindy asked how everything was, and I told her absolutely fantastic!!!

I have to say it has been a long time since I have received such amazing customer service!!! The hotel stay made my visit one of a kind, and opened my eyes up to the great community of Bend, OR. The hotel was lovely, but the employees made it exceptional!!! I want to personally thank Kelly, Danielle, and Cindy for their outstanding service and they deserve to be recognized for it!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Don S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bend, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Thank you for your positive review. It’s wonderful to hear that our staff had made you feel welcome and comfortable! We pride ourselves on having wonderful staff that is empowered to take care of our guests in whatever way necessary. We look forward to having you as our guest on your next trip to Beautiful Bend and providing you with outstanding service once again!

Chico, California
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

This hotel is right next to the Old Mill district. It is all very clean and new. You can walk to shopping and restaurants. The lobby is nice and the room was very comfortable. We paid a little more for the river view. Wish we would have been there longer to enjoy. They also had a really neat looking indoor pool which was open 24 hours. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us and I'm happy to hear you had the chance to explore the area as well as take in the amazing views. Hope to see you on your next trip to Bend.

Dawsonville, Georgia
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Amanda helped us store some stuff because we were there early and we didn't want to leave it in the car. She was great! Cookies were wonderful. Prices are not low for sure but we did have a free night so it made good economic sense for two nights. Convenient location, wonderful bed! Didn't eat there so can't comment but it looked very nice.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mimi S
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review regarding your recent stay with us. I love to hear how much our guests enjoyed their stay and glad you enjoyed one of our fresh baked cookies. We look forward to having you stay with us once again on your next trip to Bend.