“Good Food but slow”
Review of DRAKE

Reserve with OpenTable
DRAKE is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 472 Restaurants in Bend
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Franklin
Description: DRAKE is an authentic neighborhood joint serving up creative and inspired comfort food in downtown Bend, OR. DRAKE's Chef Ryley is reinventing American classics with a modern, fresh flair. Specialties include daily fresh fish and risotto specials, mussels and fries, poutine and an array of burgers, salads, small plates and sides. DRAKE serves lunch and dinner seven days a week. Take in the view from over-sized windows on the iconic corner of NW Wall Street and NW Franklin Avenue in downtown Bend. On warm days enjoy prime outdoor seating on the bustling sidewalk. Inside, you'll enjoy a diner inspired ambiance with a beautiful hand crafted bar, an open kitchen with front row counter seating and comfortable booths. We are passionate about hospitality and we insist on delivering sincerity to every guest, every time. We want you to have a great experience at DRAKE from beginning to end, that’s our mission and that’s why we love this business. We gladly accept online or phone reservations and walk in diners. Please do not hesitate to call us to discuss your reservation needs.
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was good food but for the price I expected a bit more. We were seated quickly but it took at least 45 minutes to receive our food and when we did the steak was undercooked and the "crispy sweet potatoes" were mushy. The waiter also forgot to submit our order for mac n cheese so he comped us for it but it still took so long to get it that we were done with our meal and paid before we received it finally to go. The waiter was very friendly and the atmosphere was cool. Maybe it would be a good place to go for a date, not our whole family.

1  Thank luv2travelmuch

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stopped in for lunch during a long weekend trip to Bend. Our waitress dropped off a small complimentary bag of "popcorn of the day" when she gave us our menus. I tried the pimento cheese and bacon biscuit. Great flavor, but halfway through, had to eat with a fork because the savory biscuit was dry and began falling apart. It was complemented with a sample of great sweet pickles and way-too-small side of a red cabbage slaw that I think had horseradish--it had a nice bite to it, and I would have loved to have more than just a couple of bites. Overall experience was good--fast, friendly service. If we had stayed longer, would have gone back to sample dinner menu.

1  Thank sb_osobailiando
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stopped in for dinner this past weekend when downtown was packed with visitors for the CCC criterium. We sat at the bar near the grill, because the restaurant was so busy all of the tables were full. It was fun to watch the chef's cook, and the service was great. The food was incredible. I had the shrimp and grits and it is fresh, tasty, and looked appealing too. One of the best meals I have had among some good restaurants in Bend. This place is kid friendly too. We regularly visit on Monday for steak frites with our kids who absolutely love the place too. A nice touch is the spiced popcorn for appetizer while you explore the menu. The mac and cheese is incredible too. I could go on . . . but will stop here for now.

1  Thank Bret B
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We rolled into Bend off Hwy 97 late day, after a long drive. Access to the downtown was easy off Wall Street. What a great energy this city has - lots of young people, bikers, shops, and tourists. Drake captures this perfectly, on the corner of a busy downtown intersection on the way to the river park. If it it warm enough, sit outside and enjoy the people watching. The Drake offers informal, friendly, attentive servers and above average food. A few of our dishes were very good - e.g. the meatloaf main and the dry fried green beans (excellent). The food was a little slow but service made up for it - we even had staff from inside come out and give us a run down of the Bend mountain bike trails! I was told one customer thought the pork chop was the best dish he's ever had (!) but sadly it was sold out - we will have to return!

1  Thank Chilling44
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I wasn't too impressed with my go at the Drake. I am as much a fan of a restaurant's atmosphere as it's food and service, so I totally 'get' the speakeasy vibe they are going for but it just doesn't work here. Too much white, which for me lacks personality and creativity. Minor details, such as, using a hex floor tile instead of the pinwheel and maybe in a cararra with a colored marble for accent. The natural stone will patina and age beautifully, unlike porcelain which will just get dingy.
Don't even get me started on the music... try oldies and I don't mean cool oldies.
A little note on service, we sat @ the bar for drinks and a small bite. Here the bartender, a middle aged man, was lackluster and seemed less than thrilled to be there. We sat there for a while before he even acknowledged us, then he neither suggested anything nor made small talk (something I guess I expect from a tourist town). I ordered a house mojito - weak at best. For $9.00 I would expect to taste some alcohol. After the poor experience with my and a headache from the bad tunes, we left. Don't know if I will go back, ever.