“Awesome stay at Old St. Francis!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of McMenamins Old St. Francis School

McMenamins Old St. Francis School
Ranked #16 of 43 Hotels in Bend
Atlanta, Georgia
“Awesome stay at Old St. Francis!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

I had originally found the McMenamins website while looking for a hotel in Portland, but ended up staying at the one in Bend, instead. This place was REALLY cool. We got in around 7:30, checked in and then elected to go grab a drink in the bar with the band playing, then got in line to watch a movie at the property. We watched Bridesmaids, which you can eat dinner in the theatre. The movie was free since we were staying there. After that, we walked over to the "cigar bar" to sit outside. Then we grabbed a S'more at the bar that stays open the latest. Everything was really neat. The room was clean and comfortable and had a large shower. The mocha scone and berry pastry the next morning were perfect! (If you like REAL scones, get one here!) If you are a former Catholic school kid (like I am) - don't worry, the nuns aren't around! You get to eat, drink and have a good time without fear of a ruler! :)

Room Tip: We stayed in
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarrieMississippi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Wickenburg, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

This is a really fun place to be, and it offers so much to the guests. Actually, we did not stay at the hotel, just went into the bar and had dinner there, but did wander around the first floor and look in on the swimming pool. Everyhting was done tastefully and with much love for detail, and wveryhting is spic-and-span, spotlessly clean. The food is very good, and the bar has a very nice atmosphere with tasteful decorations, and a very wide choice of beverages of all description. Well worth a visit, even if only for a drink.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

If you know you are going to Bend and need a place to stay, U HAVE to stay here!!!!
You won't be dissapointed. The breakfast if great, the beer is great, the soaking pool is also great!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ak2angel
Windsor, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

We stayed here two nites, the service was outstanding. The staff went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. The rooms are clean, quite and very cozy. As the other reviews have stated this was once a school but it has been totaly re-done. The soaking pool is amazing, after a long day of hiking it was very relaxing. They provide complementery robes for you in the rooms for the pool. The hotel is located downtown within walking distance to shopping, bars, and restaurants. The staff in their restaurant were great and the food was outstanding. All the bakery goods are made on the property and are sooo good!..We plan on staying here again during the winter, make sure you go to their other bar across their parking lot, they have the fires going at nite which make it very cozy. They have room service but we didn't use it, however, they do provide you with fresh ground coffee for your coffee maker in the morning at your door. Don't forget to try their brewed Hammerhead beer, ask for it because it's not on the menu. They are not AAA rated, for some unknown reason, so don't let that deter you from staying here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy R
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

McMenamins in Bend gave us an unexpected bonus: a warm and comfortable wood paneled room, a steaming plunge pool on a cold winter's night, and tater tots in the pub that we are still trying to work off. I'm glad we came here after skiing and seeing the sights around Bend, so we did not feel so guilty about lounging around the room and pub. The movie sounded good, but we opted for staying longer in the soaking pool and following up with a late dinner. That brings me to the Whiskey Flight sampler, and the subsequent snooze that made for one very restful evening. No evidence of a rowdy scene as some have mentioned. Just R&R in all its carb-laden glory. We now have a goal of trying the other hotels in this quirky, funky group of properties. Bring on the Hogshead!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Eugene, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

I was in Bend on business. The hotel was where I wanted to be. If not for an internet error that they worked with me on the price (too steep for my employer), I would have been unable to stay here, so some beer angels were watching over me. Maybe not.

I checked in once I could find the small front desk, which was not well advertised. The whole facility on the outside looks great and where I wandered on the interior was inviting. My room was the Julie Roberts and it was a hotel room with a bathroom, probably one of the most typical hotels that bears the McMenamin's hotels that I have stayed in.

I had a full social calendar so I didn't have a single beer of theirs, didn't go to the theater, didn't use the soaking pool (that was complimentary), didn't watch the TV in the room, and didn't eat there. The bed was comfortable and the toilet was fully functional.

I regret that I didn't make full use of the facilities, and hope I get a second chance (hear that beer angels?).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

Teachers get apples from their students, and this place gets an apple from me. As fans of places with character, we stayed in a converted classroom. The wood gave a warm feeling, and as an educator, I felt right at home. Service was supportive and kind. This is a truly unique establishment and worth a visit if you are in Bend and don't need anything modern and fancy.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple