“Clean and Comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 43 Hotels in Bend
vancouver, BC, Canada
“Clean and Comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

In July my husband and I stayed at the Rainbow Motel for the second time. This time, we didn't have reservations and when we drove in the vacancy sign was not on. We assumed that there was not a room available; however, we decided to check and as it turned out, moments before we walked in, they had received a cancellation for that night. We gladly snapped it up. Again, we were impressed with the cleanliness of the room. This time the room was quite small but we were just passing through and it was sufficient for us for one night. The bed was firm but comfortable, and the only complaint I have is that the pillows this time were too hard. We should have asked for different ones but by then we were too tired to bother. In the morning we paid the price with stiff necks.

On our way out the next morning we noticed a small garden area at the back of our room. This would have been a pleasant spot to rest in the evening had we noticed it earlier. There weren't any chairs out there, so you would need to have your own lawn chairs or a blanket to sit on.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Washington, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

First of all that picture IS NOT of the Rainbow Motel. When I lived in bend I had my family stay there all the time because it was very affordable, but very clean and family friendly. It is also within walking distance of downtown Bend which is great. We only stayed in the non-smoking rooms which are a newer addition, we never stayed in the smoking rooms which are much older and part of the original motel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jessica B
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

It's definitely the best value in a town, an affordable, comfortable place that is easy walking distance to town. Word on the street in Bend (or at least what we kept hearing) is that Californians/Tahoe people have been moving to Bend in droves and driving the locals out by skyrocketing the prices of land and everything else. This hotel was family owned/operated by a lovely Indian family, who were very friendly and welcoming. The room was nice for the price, I can't think of anything really wrong with the room/hotel or anything that could have been improved given the price, but despite the price this was the kind of room I would expect at a much more expensive hotel or a chain hotel such as a holiday inn. The rooms had a desk/table for two which was handy and the sink outside of the bathroom with a vanity area, which can be important for the ladies :) It is not a 5 Star hotel, I am just rating the 5 because it delivered everything we hoped for and was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Thanks for a hassle free night of rest!

** When taking our luggage out of our car, another couple was unloading and I overheard the woman say "well there are a lot of nice cars in the parking lot, so this must be okay" it was true, it seems that a lot of outdoorsy, nice couples, and families were staying here and trying to save money as the prices in bend seem to be not what they used to be according to locals.

Room Tip: We had a top floor room in the second building near the back of the parking lot.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HoosierKiwi
pacific northwest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

We stayed here for a weekend skiing trip to Bend. Keep in mind that this is a budget motel, but it is very clean, and within easy walking distance to downtown Bend and restaurants. We stayed in the back building, and the room was very quiet, with a nice shower, cable tv, refrigerator, and microwave. It is not a chain, which I appreciate, and it is obvious that the owners take great pride in their property. The office is sweetly kitschy, with a sweet mural of rainbow photos taken by the owner's daughter, and a little window alcove with lots of rainbow mugs. Much better and cheaper than a Motel 6, America's Value Inn or that level of motel.

Room Tip: We liked the back building, and the first floor was good so we didn't have to drag our stuff up...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nilambe
United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

I have to admit that I chose this hotel because I am a University of Hawaii alumni, GO BOWS!! and because I wanted a room that the door opened to the parking lot and on the first floor( my car was full of gear I didn't want to unload).

The owner Panna was helpful and checked me in quickly and then told me I was on the second floor in the building in the back. I think she was trying to give me a safe room since I was travelling alone and I had to really be adamant I wanted the first floor where I could see my car. Weirdly all the rooms that opened to the courtyard were smoking rooms. I had no idea hotles/motels still had smoking rooms? She gave me a room on the first floor and the building was a secure building.

The only bummer was the outside door wanted to eat my keycard. The door would open with the key card in but then not want to give my card back unless I shut the door. It was a quandry that I solved by cussing and yanking the card very, very hard each time I left the building.

The room was affordable ($44) clean, and after the heater roll awhile it warmed up admirably.
I would stay here again.
GO BOWS!!!

Room Tip: Smoking rooms are in the front and non-smoking are in the building in the back. Keycard can be touch...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Piercedlibrarian
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

I had a reservation for one night. I cancelled it several days in advance. I spoke with the owner. He seemed fine with it. My error was I did not ask for a cancellation number. He charged us for the room anyway. When I called him to tell him i had been charged he said I never called. I reminded him about the conversation we had but he denied it. I could not believe he was so dishonest and had no concern about the situation. He even said "people do this all the time". After several attempts to get him to do the right thing. I gave up. Very sad to see a business owner treat customers that way. very dishonest!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Jkc51862

Travellers are raving about these Bend hotels

lake owsego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Room rate was very affordable. Room was clean. Great Value if you are looking a motel room. I even left my phone charger behind, and they mailed it back to me right away. Very short drive or managable walk to the downtown Bend

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo