“Cheap Rates, Clean Room”
Review of Rainbow Motel

Rainbow Motel
Ranked #34 of 44 Hotels in Bend
Seaside, Oregon
“Cheap Rates, Clean Room”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The marquee advertised the cheapest rates in town, and I was trying to conserve funds. The owner was friendly and aware of my desire the park my bike in front so I could keep an eye on it. The room was $49.95 for a non-smoking, kitchenette room with two beds. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean and ultra-efficient! You could sit on the stool and wash your hands at the same time. A heavy set person could be challenged. I walked to Safeway and bought food to prepare in the room. The downtown core is within walking distance. If money was an issue I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The Rainbow Motel met all my 'must-haves': quiet, spotlessly clean, good pillows, hair dryer, walkable to downtown. It also has mini frig and microwave, and good coffee all day in the lobby. It's only about 6 blocks from the center of Bend and all the shops, restaurants, and Drake Park. The owners are terrifically accommodating, even allowing an early check-in with a phone call. All for less than $50. I spent a week traveling through central and NE Oregon, and this motel was better than all the others, some for double the price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank ML M
Northern California
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

We chose the Rainbow Motel for a few reasons:
1) the price was right-$107 total for two nights.
2) the location-walkable to downtown Bend and walking was important since we knew we'd be sampling much of what Bend has become famous for.
3) the Trip Advisor reviews seemed realistically positive....we like to splurge occasionally, but are perfectly content with a clean place to lay our heads that is also near the action.

When we drove up to the office the place seemed small and a bit tired. Check-in was quick and professional - although not particularly friendly or welcoming. We were instructed to drive to the back where there was a two-story building with more rooms and plenty of parking. There is a secured entrance to the building and when we entered it was quite warm and stuffy. Our room was on the second floor and it was also warm and stuffy - but the room was equipped with a powerful air conditioning unit. The room seemed clean, although lacking in attention to detail - the carpet around the sink area looked as if it wasn't vacuumed, most of the lampshades were askew and at least one of the lamps didn't work. In fact, by our second morning the lights over the sink stopped working.

They do offer free Wi-Fi, and coffee with packaged pastries in the morning. These things aren't necessarily deal breakers for us, but they are nice additions and we took advantage of both.

I am not sure if there are new owners or what, but several of the rooms in the single-story units looked as if they were being gutted. I hope they are upgrading the place - it could use it.

All in all, the Rainbow Motel was satisfactory for our needs and a real bargain. If we come for a few days in Bend again, I might look around for something else - but if my priorities are budget and location, I might come back.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Julie G
Nelson, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at the Rainbow Motel, great spot, clean, comfortable and friendly owners. My room was average size, with fridge and microwave, table with 2 chairs & other standard furniture. Decor is a bit dated, but well cared for.

Room Tip: I stayed in the newer back section, but the older front rooms were in the process of being renovated...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank RobynG178
vancouver, BC, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2013

In July my husband and I stayed at the Rainbow Motel for the second time. This time, we didn't have reservations and when we drove in the vacancy sign was not on. We assumed that there was not a room available; however, we decided to check and as it turned out, moments before we walked in, they had received a cancellation for that night. We gladly snapped it up. Again, we were impressed with the cleanliness of the room. This time the room was quite small but we were just passing through and it was sufficient for us for one night. The bed was firm but comfortable, and the only complaint I have is that the pillows this time were too hard. We should have asked for different ones but by then we were too tired to bother. In the morning we paid the price with stiff necks.

On our way out the next morning we noticed a small garden area at the back of our room. This would have been a pleasant spot to rest in the evening had we noticed it earlier. There weren't any chairs out there, so you would need to have your own lawn chairs or a blanket to sit on.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2013

First of all that picture IS NOT of the Rainbow Motel. When I lived in bend I had my family stay there all the time because it was very affordable, but very clean and family friendly. It is also within walking distance of downtown Bend which is great. We only stayed in the non-smoking rooms which are a newer addition, we never stayed in the smoking rooms which are much older and part of the original motel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jessica B
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 May 2013

It's definitely the best value in a town, an affordable, comfortable place that is easy walking distance to town. Word on the street in Bend (or at least what we kept hearing) is that Californians/Tahoe people have been moving to Bend in droves and driving the locals out by skyrocketing the prices of land and everything else. This hotel was family owned/operated by a lovely Indian family, who were very friendly and welcoming. The room was nice for the price, I can't think of anything really wrong with the room/hotel or anything that could have been improved given the price, but despite the price this was the kind of room I would expect at a much more expensive hotel or a chain hotel such as a holiday inn. The rooms had a desk/table for two which was handy and the sink outside of the bathroom with a vanity area, which can be important for the ladies :) It is not a 5 Star hotel, I am just rating the 5 because it delivered everything we hoped for and was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Thanks for a hassle free night of rest!

** When taking our luggage out of our car, another couple was unloading and I overheard the woman say "well there are a lot of nice cars in the parking lot, so this must be okay" it was true, it seems that a lot of outdoorsy, nice couples, and families were staying here and trying to save money as the prices in bend seem to be not what they used to be according to locals.

Room Tip: We had a top floor room in the second building near the back of the parking lot.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple