“Mount Bachelor, Oregon at the 7th Mountain Resort: 7th heaven!”

WorldMark Bend - Seventh Mountain Resort
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Bend
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Since I had a business trip to Portland Oregon, my wife and I spent 4 days (5 in my case) skiing Mount Bachelor, near the beautiful town of Bend, starting February 26. The first day we caught the tail end of a moderate storm, and it was still quite windy, with fairly heavy snow a good part of the day. I had stupidly left my goggles back in our room, and didn’t want to waste time driving back, so I tried skiing in just my glasses. Not ideal, since my eyes tear up pretty easily, but I don’t think I would have been able to see much better in goggles, since it was close to white out! The Summit lift was closed for wind, and we quickly figured out that the place to be was the northwest side of the mountain, since the wind was from the south, so we headed over there. This is where the Outback and Northwest Express lifts are located. We spent most of the day skiing off the Outback, which has a lot of very nice blue groomers. Of course, with all the recent powder, there really wasn’t much difference between groomed and ungroomed. The conditions were not what any western skier would call deep powder – probably no more than 8 or 10 inches – but (don’t laugh) this frankly was a bit of a challenge for those of us mid-Atlantic skiers who seldom get the chance to ski in powder of any depth. But we had a lot of fun and got some good practice using those powder skiing techniques I’ve been reading about. And it was great to have whole runs that were almost private! At the end of the day, we got stranded on the Outback lift for 10- 15 minutes, and just about froze our patooties. But when they finally got the lift started again, and we dropped into the Pine Marten cafe, even though they were technically closed for the day, they gave us a couple of cups of the best hot chocolate I’ve ever tasted. That’s real Oregonian hospitality!

The second day was bluebird, and the Summit was open, so that was our first destination. At the top of the lift, the windblown snow formations were surreal. This was a Saturday after a storm, so there were a LOT more people than the first day, but of course by eastern standards, it wasn’t exactly crowded. I have to say that even on a day like this, which I suppose was “crowded” by local standards, there were hardly any lift lines. Most of lifts at Bachelor have predominantly blue groomers, which -- with the uncrowded conditions -- were ideal for putting the pedal to the metal and letting her rip. The exception is the Northwest Express, which has all blacks, some of which were groomed and some not. Over the next few days, we logged a lot of time skiing off the NWX, as they call it.

I mostly skied trails with my wife, but did a few runs off-piste, including one memorable one from a point that is a long (for me) hike from the top of the Summit lift. There were a couple of other guys hiking ahead of me, and at one point where the trail divided, I asked them where each of the two trails led. They said they didn’t know, but trusted that hard work would pay off, so we kept going on the steepest -- and less frequented -- one. (Robert Frost would have approved :-) )And we definitely ended up on the highest point on the mountain. From something I read in an article about the history of Bachelor, I think this is the top of a volcano cone. I skied more or less straight down, and ended up at the top of the NWX lift. It was an especially exciting run because I ran into some strange kind of surface condition, which looked like the snow had been semi-melted, then windblown into little horizontal points and re-frozen. Skiing that stuff was a real adrenaline rush, even for someone with a lot of experience skiing ice in the MASH (Mid-Atlantic Snow Hell)!! But once I realized I was in it, I was able to ski out of it by turning and backtracking a few hundred meters, where the surface conditions were a much more pleasant chalky consistency – a real lesson in the importance of exposure. I also did a run or two in an off-piste area off the Summit lift called ‘’Cow’s face”. This was a very nice, wide open bowl area that eventually dumps into a ski area boundary trail that apparently runs all the way around the mountain. This is a great feature of Bachelor – you can ski 360 degrees off the Summit lift, safe in the knowledge that you won’t end up somewhere you can’t get back to a lift. Anyway, we had 3 bluebird days. By the last day we were skiing, surface conditions were suffering a bit from a bluebird hangover, but it was still good.

The 4th day, we watched a hang-glider swoop around for quite a while. We happened to be only about 50 meters away as he came in for a landing, and we watched in horror as his chute snagged in a tree and he dropped about 20 feet onto some pretty hard-packed snow. We didn’t stick around for the medic’s arrival, but when we left, he was conscious and moving, so I guess there wasn’t serious injury.

We liked Bachelor a lot, not only because it’s got excellent runs and layout, but also because the general feel is low-key and laidback – more akin to A-Basin than Vail. The multiday lift tix are only $50/ day, and if you want to save a few $$$ on lunch, they’re brownbag friendly—they have an area designated for brown-bagging in the main lodge, including microwaves to use, and we saw people brown-bagging in the Pine Marten cafe. But we generally ate lunch in the sit-down restaurant or the self-serve cafe in Pine Marten, and the food was quite good, with generous servings and reasonable prices for a ski resort.

We stayed in Bend, at the 7th Mountain Resort, which was really nice. The resort has several heated outdoor pools and hot tubs, and a skating rink, as well as an on-site restaurant. We had a spacious 1-bedroom, 2 bath condo unit, with a view of pristine forest from the deck. The resort runs a shuttle to and from Bachelor, once a day during the week and twice on weekends, but since we had a car and road conditions were fine, we drove ourselves . They are in the middle of a renovation of the place, so there was quite a bit of construction noise, but we had been forewarned (and were getting a great deal), so we didn’t mind, especially since we wanted to get up early to ski anyway. We didn’t avail ourselves of the nightlife in Bend, which I understand is quite lively, but we did visit the Deschutes brewery, where we enjoyed a free tasting of their very interesting assortment of beers, and bought a couple as souvenirs to take home. The dark Jubilale is outstanding! There’s also a small winery in town, which has some nice wines. Bend is a very picturesque town, with a beautiful park along the Deschutes River, so if you visit Bachelor, be sure to budget some time to take a look around. We were also thrilled to find that it has a Trader Joe’s. We had a great time, and we'll definitely try to get back to Bachelor sometime.

Reviewed 9 March 2010

The updated condos are clean and well laid out but lacking some basic amenities - such as dish cloths, soap in the kitchen, cooking utensils and not enough lamps in the living spaces.\ for example. Seems a bit barren and too sparse.

The pools are lovely but the changing rooms could use some serious updating. The restaurant was mediocre at best, not sure about the wine list as we didn't have any but the food was generic and too many fried options. It seems as though they have the potential to really make a great restaurant with local produce and all that Oregon has to offer but this was not the case. The wait staff were very nice (and so much more friendly than the front of house staff) but forgot to out our order into the kitchen!
Great location but needs some attention to the details to go for the kind of more upscale resort they are trying to pitch themselves as. Would recommend only with some reservations.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I loved the location. It had lots of natural beauty and nice place to relax.
The service needed some improvement. I felt like I had to fight for everything I needed. Only 1 blanket for bed, couldn't call my room from anywhere at the resort-had to go to room to relay messages. Staff was not coordinated to times of things at conference-poor communication.
Extra charges-local calls from room, newspaper, vacuum, cleaning room, soaps, shampoo, fire log-only 1 free for stay, no matter how many days.

Rooms were very nice and comfortable. Pool and hot tubs great

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2010

When we visited Mt Bachelor last year, we stayed in Sisters and noticed that this was the last accommodation that we passed in our hour-long drive to the ski area. When we called around for reservations here, we found a great deal for Presidents' Week and took the "Twirling" special for a one-bedroom unit with full kitchen, two bathrooms, two tvs, fireplace, balcony. The unit was quite spacious for our family of four; it had just been remodeled, with high quality fixtures, utensils, free wi-fi and even nice plush towels and fancy soaps. Workers were redoing the exteriors of some buildings, but it didn't disturb us at all; our room was very quiet and even had a nice territorial view.
As we checked in, we were given four $6 breakfast vouchers for each day of our four-night stay - an unexpected bonus! The breakfasts were very good, and priced at $6-11 plus drinks, so with tax and tip, we paid about a total of about $15 for the four of us in addition to our vouchers each morning The second surprise perk was the terrific service on the free shuttle up to the mountain, which included a drink on the way home (pop, water, beer or wine).
We received two skating vouchers (admission and rentals) - a $24 value as part of our package, and our girls really enjoyed the skating rink. While they skated, we enjoyed the daily" apre ski" special in the bar - a pint of draft microbrew plus a bottomless bowl of (very good) chili for $5! There were three outdoor heated pools (and this is February), three outdoor hot tubs and a sauna, all in good condition.
When we mentioned that we were staying here to folks we met on the lifts, a couple of people mentioned that they had heard that this place had become run down. If so, someone has made a tremendous investment in the remodeling and training of the extra friendly and helpful staff. We were in Building 20, which appeared to be completely remodeled. It may be that the quality control is not as good on individually-owned units in other buildings.
Quibbles? Just so you know I'm not a shill - the bed and fold out couch could have been a bit more comfy, and the heater was quite noisy. After the first night, we just turned it off before bed and it was fine. Also, we didn't have a full complement of pillows and blanket for the sofa bed and had to call for delivery. Finally , a ski storage area would have been handy.
All in all, I've already recommended this place to several friends and, particularly with the Mt Bachelor "Kids Ski Free" deal, would be eager to return. By the way, my husband is a "strictly nordic" skier and enjoyed skiing at the Mt Bachelor Nordic Center and nearby Sno-Park.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Got a fantastic rate for 4th of July weekend including a one bedroom suite, half price white water rafting and breakfast at the restaurant. The resort was still being renovated while we were there, but the room we stayed in had already been updated. The full kitchen was a huge bonus, great for a group of people. The rooms were spacious and clean, nothing fancy. We spent more time outside then we did in our room. The white water rafting was a blast, and great that they arrange it all right from the hotel. The pools were nice too, a bit crowded and small, but adequate. We also played tennis at their courts, good thing we brought our own tennis rackets as they only had child sized ones.

Our one and only complaint was the Seasons Restaurant. Perhaps they shouldn't have given out vouchers for everyone staying at the hotel that weekend, because they absolutely could not handle all the customers. We sat for 30 minutes before deciding to go back to our room and make breakfast ourselves.

Tip for anyone traveling to Bend and would like a great meal - go to the Blacksmith Restaurant. We had a fabulous time there and the food was wonderful!

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank bcary
Reviewed 29 November 2009

I had stayed here back in the early 80's as a child for 6 weeks during the summer. Loved every minute of it. Had the chance to come back this winter with my own small children. And it was exactly as I remembered! Although our accomodations looked outdated, they were in excellent condition...nice, clean room, good kitchen. It was perfect for our family of 5 and so close to the mountain it was well worth the cost. And it was very inexpensive to boot. I forgot to mention the beautiful view and the terrific ice rink. Loved it all and will definitely go back.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2009

This resort is right on the Deschutes River and you can just take one of the trails behind the hotel and be on a beautiful well marked hike along the river. Their recreation department is the best - no need to plan your own kayaking or white water rafting trip, they will do it for you and its quite reasonable. The restaurant on site is a bit more high end than you would expect - great breakfast - but there is also a snack bar and BBQ during the day. The rooms are sparse and not so posh, but very clean. A great place to go with kids, they will never be bored.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo