“Great stay, nice view and breakfast by the river”

Riverhouse on the Deschutes
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Bend
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We had a very nice, huge room with a balcony overlooking the river, nice soak and swim in both indoor and outdoor pools/ hot tubs. . . and then, as if we weren't enjoying it enough. . we could take our food from the breakfast buffet outside and have breakfast on the deck right on the river. We had a wonderful time, enjoyed it and will be back!

Be aware, this hotel is right on the main highway through town and across the street from some shops, so it is convenient driving, but not really within walking distance of the downtown area. It has nice grounds, a couple of restaurants, including limited service around the small but very nice pools . . . best of all - staff that went out of their way to be helpful and welcoming. It was busy when we were there, loads of families but not noisy - Great homebase for running around Bend!

Room Tip: We had a river view that was fantastic!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Thank you for such a terrific review! We are beyond thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and truly appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and look forward to your return!

Reviewed 27 July 2012

I had to go to Bend, as my daughter was ill and needing Mom's attention. I had stayed numerous times in the past, before I retired. My last stay was probably 7 years ago.
I was very, very disappointed. The property has most definately declined in the last seven years.
The room was large, had a comfortable bed, but the price was to high for the shabbiness of the property. There were spider webs in the corners of the room, and the carpet was stained. Since it was late, and I was tired from the drive, I treated myself to a nice dinner from room service. I was told 25 minutes, however, it took over an hour. Finally, when a knock came to my door, a young woman was standing there holding my tray. I pointed to where I would like her to set it, but she stated that she was "not allowed" to enter my room. Now, if I was a male, I could understand the safety factor, however, I am a female. OK, so I took my tray, placed it in my room, went back and signed the ticket. She was dressed in regular clothes, so I assumed she was the hostess. After she left, I went to eat my food. Now, I have room service in many, many hotels, and this is the first time that my food came wrapped only in cellophane. No little silver plates covering the food, just cellophane on my steak. As I started eating, I became immediately aware that the food was at best "lukewarm". I had ordered an expensive filet mignon, and it was touch, and tasteless, not to mention, lukewarm. Ditto for the potato and vegetables. I tried microwaving the food after trying to eat it, but that just ruined everything. This was a $40 room service meal. I don't mind paying for a good meal delivered to my room, however, this was not a good meal. I was so tired, I just went to sleep, even though I should have called room service and complained. Now for the good part. As I was checking out, I mentioned the oddness of the room service deliverer. From that, the desk clerk asked me how everything else was, so I told her. She seemed perplexed on to why the roomservice member would not come in. As we were talking, the restaurant manager happened to come in early. A good end to the story, they removed the room service charge, lowered my room rate, and sincerley appologized. In the end, the front desk staff were very attentive, willing to fix what they could. So, kudo's to the front desk staff. The average rating is for the poor room service, the cobwebs in the room, and the shabbiness of the property. It use to be "the place" to stay in Bend, Or, now, it's just a place to stay.

Room Tip: This is a large property with buildings far from the lobby and restaurant. Ask for a room close to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Helen G

Thank you for your review. We apologize if we did not live up to your expectations. We are looking into the issues you encountered, and they will be addressed. We hope that you will give us another try so we may show you the world-class service we pride ourselves on. Please join us again soon!

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed here 3 nights for a convention. View of the river from our room was awesome. Canadian geese bathing in the rapids was lovely to watch. Restaurant food for dinner was very good but not cheap. Tile in bathroom was old and needed regrouting, but room was clean and quiet. Room had a "spa" hot tub which held 2 - but you had to be in great physicial shape to get in and out of it...toughest one I've ever seen to enter and exit. And it wasin a handicapped accessible room! Great mattress on bed to sleep on. I didn't ever try breakfast buffet so can't comment on that.

Room Tip: There is a section across the river from the main hotel. It has it's own parking lot and you can...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mary P
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Thank you for your review! We appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We apologize if the tub in your room was a challenge. Please come back and try Crossings for a drink or a quick bite. We hope that you'll join us again soon!

Reviewed 21 July 2012

We had never been to the Bend area before, so my husband relied almost exclusively on traveler reviews to select our hotel. He chose the Riverhouse hotel because reviewers raved about the great location and the fabulous breakfast buffet (especially the bacon-- which was supposed to be some earth shattering experience). Very excited about the mind-numbing bacon, my husband booked a three night stay with a river view.

When we arrived, we were a bit confused. The "walk to everything" location we had been promised was untrue. The hotel is off of the main highway. There is a Kohls across the street. No charming, downtown Bend or charming shops anywhere within reasonable walking distance. There was a river, I suppose. But to be more accurate, it looked more like a brook-- it was pretty small.

As for the rooms, hmmm. Where to start? This hotel is older, and years ago, it was probably pretty nice. But everything needs to be updated eventually. Our room was extremely dark. Dark carpeting and very poor lighting. The shower head was meant to accommodate comfortably only those under 5 feet tall. The beds had nice comforters, but it stopped there. The mattresses were hard and uninviting (a pillow top mattress cover would have been a nice start). But the sore backs and fitful sleep would have been okay if the breakfast had come through for us, because we were all dreaming of that heavenly bacon....

There was no bacon.

Morning 1: corned beef hash. Morning 2: sausage links. Morning 3: ham. We left after that. We can only surmise that the bacon would have been served on the fourth day. It was a HUGE disappointment as was the rest of the very average buffet breakfast that was served each day.

To be fair, the Riverhouse does have pools and a golf course which we did not use due to the other events we had planned in the area each day. But for what we thought we were getting based on the other reviews, the property simply did not live up to expectations. And the elusive bacon became the running joke for the rest of the trip.

5  Thank sdnwildcat
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconveniences we may have caused you, and the confusion over the bacon. We hope to be able to provide you consistent and thoughtful service. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and wish to be able to provide you with the world-class service we pride ourselves on!

Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed here for one night. It's obvious this is an older hotel but they've done a good job of keeping it in shape. The location on the river is wonderful. My family used both pools (the indoor one was awfully warm). An average buffet breakfast came with the room. The restaurant was great for dinner (though pricey).

Room Tip: I think the extra cost for a river view room was worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review! We agree that our river view rooms are stunning. We look forward to the opportunity of hosting you again, and hope that you'll be back soon!

Reviewed 17 July 2012

Just got back from 2 nights at the Riverhouse hotel. Our room was spacious and clean. I am an early riser and love the fact that I can sit by the rushing river in the morning and have my coffee while the whole world still asleep. We walked along the scenic river trail behind the hotel to downtown. I think it was about a mile. Downtown was lovely with many boutique shops.
Staff at the hotel was fantastic. Everyone there was very helpful and friendly, especially breakfast staff. It would have been a perfect experience if I didn't leave my cellephone charger in the room and the front desk is going to charge me $15 to mail it back to me by UPS where they can stick it in the US mail for a couple of bucks. I recommend this hotel for family and will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for reviewing us! We are elated to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and were able to take advantage of the proximity to downtown. We apologize for the inconvenience over your phone charger, and hope that we may resolve this issue. Please join us again soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2012

The hotel is older but very will kept and updated. The room was very large with enough room for all four of us to sit and enjoy the river right outside our door. The bathroom was very nice and clean with two sinks and counters and the closet was hugh! Breakfast buffet was a true buffet and included a nice selection of fruits, cereals and hot entrees...several to choose from.
I would choose an upper floor unit to enjoy the view of the river and it would also allow you to leave your sliding door open. The lower unit we had did have a bit of traffic outside our door as people were walking the river path. Overall a great value for your dollar!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Riverhouse in Oregon. Please be sure to remind us of your room requests when arriving; we want to try as best as possible to accommodate all requests. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and look forward to having you!