“Great for smokers with low standards”

Riverhouse on the Deschutes
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Bend
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Our non-smoking room was right on the river and it was a nice size, with a large balcony. It was a beautiful evening and we wanted to sleep with the sliding door open, but the people downstairs (in another non-smoking room) were smoking on their patio for hours. So we had to turn on the noisy old AC. We complained about the smoke, the hotel staff said people are welcome to smoke on the patios.

On top of the smoke, room cleanliness was not great (some shower tile grout with mildew). Breakfast buffet was pretty nice.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Thank you for your review. We apologize if we did not live up to your expectations, and are deeply sorry for the smoking. We are looking into this issue further. We hope to be able to make up for your inconveniences, so please join us again soon!

Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed four days at the Riverhouse. We had a wonderful room overlooking the river. The room was a good size and very clean. The staff was very helpful, especially when needing to use the computer in the lobby area. The restaurant was excellent. We enjoyed eating outside for an informal dinner. The server was great in suggesting items on the menu. He was always right. The lounge was great for drinks and view. We enjoyed every moment here and we will return.

Room Tip: There are rooms that do not have a river view. A river view is a must. Ours was absolutely lovely...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coquilts

Thank you for a wonderful review! We are thrilled to hear how much you and your spouse enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return, and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 August 2012

We enjoyed this hotel. The atmosphere was nice, rooms clean and quite. Front desk helpful and courteous. The breakfast was outstanding, you could sit and watch the river pass by. We will definitely return. I have already recommended to all my friends.

• Stayed: July 2012

Thank you for your phenomenal review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and appreciate your loyalty. We look forward to seeing you again soon, and look forward to many more visits from you!

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Wow, talk about going above and beyond at the Riverhouse. I was dropped in Bend by some friends after a camping trip. Although the Shilo said on the phone that I could use the pool and spa while I waited for my wife to drive from Portland to pick me up after a camping trip, it turns out, upon arrival, that this is against their policy.
My walk to Bend took me right through the lobby of this amazing hotel, not only did the Riverhouse have a great walk in deal on a river view room, but they sent someone with a van to get my stuff from the other place. It was a lot of stuff. I spent the rest of the day by the pool catching up on business emails, Facebook and trip advisor reviews. They brought me a taco salad by the swimming pool. Vodka and ice without having to get up is a good thing.
The view of the river I had spent a week camping by, was a good way to say goodbye to the desert. The all you can eat breakfast was a great way to fortify ourselves for the day at the High Desert Museum. Bend, during the summer is overrun with tourists, in a place that obviously had thousands of other guests to take care of I felt personally cared for.
That is a very good thing. My wife and I will be back next year for a couple of days next time.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for an excellent review! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your pit stop at he Riverhouse. We look forward to you and your wife's return, and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed here earlier this month for one night on short trip through Central Oregon. I got a suite on the west side of the property overlooking the river. The facility was fantastic, the room was phenomenal, the river was gorgeous and everyone was friendly and helpful. Breakfast the next morning was definitely a cut above the standard fare. We would absolutely return.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return, and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We had a very nice, huge room with a balcony overlooking the river, nice soak and swim in both indoor and outdoor pools/ hot tubs. . . and then, as if we weren't enjoying it enough. . we could take our food from the breakfast buffet outside and have breakfast on the deck right on the river. We had a wonderful time, enjoyed it and will be back!

Be aware, this hotel is right on the main highway through town and across the street from some shops, so it is convenient driving, but not really within walking distance of the downtown area. It has nice grounds, a couple of restaurants, including limited service around the small but very nice pools . . . best of all - staff that went out of their way to be helpful and welcoming. It was busy when we were there, loads of families but not noisy - Great homebase for running around Bend!

Room Tip: We had a river view that was fantastic!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for such a terrific review! We are beyond thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and truly appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and look forward to your return!

Reviewed 27 July 2012

I had to go to Bend, as my daughter was ill and needing Mom's attention. I had stayed numerous times in the past, before I retired. My last stay was probably 7 years ago.
I was very, very disappointed. The property has most definately declined in the last seven years.
The room was large, had a comfortable bed, but the price was to high for the shabbiness of the property. There were spider webs in the corners of the room, and the carpet was stained. Since it was late, and I was tired from the drive, I treated myself to a nice dinner from room service. I was told 25 minutes, however, it took over an hour. Finally, when a knock came to my door, a young woman was standing there holding my tray. I pointed to where I would like her to set it, but she stated that she was "not allowed" to enter my room. Now, if I was a male, I could understand the safety factor, however, I am a female. OK, so I took my tray, placed it in my room, went back and signed the ticket. She was dressed in regular clothes, so I assumed she was the hostess. After she left, I went to eat my food. Now, I have room service in many, many hotels, and this is the first time that my food came wrapped only in cellophane. No little silver plates covering the food, just cellophane on my steak. As I started eating, I became immediately aware that the food was at best "lukewarm". I had ordered an expensive filet mignon, and it was touch, and tasteless, not to mention, lukewarm. Ditto for the potato and vegetables. I tried microwaving the food after trying to eat it, but that just ruined everything. This was a $40 room service meal. I don't mind paying for a good meal delivered to my room, however, this was not a good meal. I was so tired, I just went to sleep, even though I should have called room service and complained. Now for the good part. As I was checking out, I mentioned the oddness of the room service deliverer. From that, the desk clerk asked me how everything else was, so I told her. She seemed perplexed on to why the roomservice member would not come in. As we were talking, the restaurant manager happened to come in early. A good end to the story, they removed the room service charge, lowered my room rate, and sincerley appologized. In the end, the front desk staff were very attentive, willing to fix what they could. So, kudo's to the front desk staff. The average rating is for the poor room service, the cobwebs in the room, and the shabbiness of the property. It use to be "the place" to stay in Bend, Or, now, it's just a place to stay.

Room Tip: This is a large property with buildings far from the lobby and restaurant. Ask for a room close to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Helen G

Thank you for your review. We apologize if we did not live up to your expectations. We are looking into the issues you encountered, and they will be addressed. We hope that you will give us another try so we may show you the world-class service we pride ourselves on. Please join us again soon!