Riverhouse on the Deschutes
Very Good 4/5
Very Good 4/5
Wall Street Suites(Bend)
Excellent 5/5
All reviewsconvention centerthe rivera river view roomsliding doorindoor poolbreakfast buffettwo sinksnice roompotatoesnice place to staybed was comfortableshort drivecentral oregondowntown bendgolf courseroad tripcurrents
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I had never stayed here before and was pleasantly surprised how the property was kept. Very clean and can tell they are working toward keeping up with the competition. The only reason I am not rating this "excellent" is purely cosmetic - the outside hallways and stairwells need painting and perhaps new outdoor carpeting and I did not like the bathroom amenities - I'd rather have unopened soap and lotion containers instead of in refillable containers.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

It's such a pleasure to have hosted your recent visit to Bend, and we thank you for taking the time to share your Riverhouse experience with us. With continued renovations and updates across our property, we hope that you'll reach out in future travels and that you'll share in our continued evolution. It's a pleasure to lend our hospitality to your travels, and we'd love to host you again! Many thanks for your time and review.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

It's located right on the river and many of the rooms open up with the patio within 30' of it, it makes for a great place to relax. The bar has an outside area to eat that is right on the water too.

My first stay here was 1978 and for a long time not many areas were updated, but over the last ten years or so they've made many improvements and continue to do so.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Thanks for being a loyal Riverhouse guest and for taking the time to share the experience of your stays, George. It's such a pleasure to hear from long time guests like yourself, and we're thrilled that you've continued to enjoy our services as well as our recent and continued upgrades. We look forward to hearing more from you and to the opportunity of sharing our evolution for many years to come. Thanks again for your time and review!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Things I liked:
The staff was very professional and attentive
The hotel room was large and comfortable
There was plenty of free parking
The onsite restaurant had good food but was slightly overpriced
Only a 10 min car ride to downtown.

Things I didn't like:
The whole hotel is outdated and hit it's prime 30 years ago
There was a lot of wear and tear
There was a lot of road noise our room making it hard to sleep
Nothing but chain stores nearby

I heard this place was beautiful and a great place to stay but not at all. I think it's ok at best.

1  Thank kathom86
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

It's a pleasure to have been able to host your stay in Bend, and we're happy to hear that the attentive services of our staff made for a memorable visit. We take huge pride in our team's dedicated hospitality, and we'll be certain to pass the kind words along on your behalf. With that, we'd like to assure you of continued renovations and upgrades our property that will only lend added beauty to your returning visits. We encourage you to reach out the next time you revisit our area; it would be a pleasure to host you again. Many thanks again for your time and review!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Spa King room, shower head pathetic at providing water, should have been replaced decades ago. Buildings very run down, dry rot, doors well worn, carpet ancient, some doors not closing properly. Getting your room key to open door was a timing challenge, had to be just right, slow, but not to slow. We were booked for 3 nights and left after having stayed 1, train at 3am for the money not worth it.
Only positive, was river right out your back door, marvelous! Place needs work, tlc big time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am so disappointed we missed the mark during your stay and I apologies for that, I have instructed the staff to check all shower heads in Spa rooms; having a great shower is critical to an enjoyable stay at the Riverhouse. We just put a new Bedding package in many of our Spa rooms, and these have been well received. Every room has new carpet as well, and this project was finished in early August. Thanks also for pointing out some other opportunities within on our buildings; some of our property was built back in the early 70's and needs TLC on a regular basis, and we must strive to do better. Our Goals and standards are high, and we must address all Guest concerns immediately. Please feel free to contact me directly with any other concerns, and I would welcome an opportunity to get you back to our property for a future stay. Thanks again for helping me improve our operation.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Haven been the managing director of one of the finest hotels in San Francisco I tend to more critical of hospitality facilities that I visit than most travelers do, but also more appreciative of ones that offer facilities and services that exceed my expectations.
Recently my family visited Bend Oregon and upon the recommendation from a friend made reservations, with some degree of difficulty to their popularity, at the River House Resort and Convention Center. I was forewarned that the facility was dated but also was told that it offered some excellent recreational amenities and a central location in the town and to other local entertainment venues.
Once I arrived at the Resort I was impressed by the competence and friendly attitude of the reception personnel and overly spacious size of my room. I can only describe the river that runs through the facility as spectacular and breathe taking and looked more like a postcard photo location.
In a town known for its many fine breweries and famous pub tours, it was a delight to find an in house bar and entertainment facilitly that offer beers from the towns best brew masters. This certainly eliminated the need for a designated driver and unwanted and very expensive driving infraction.
Having managed the “Uptown Joes” restaurant in San Francisco, the River House Crossing restaurant was a solid three star eatery, with dinning on the outdoor terrace on the river for fine dining or a casual lunch environment. The overwhelming and complete complimentary breakfast was more like a high end and very expensive Buffet and eliminated the need for searching out a breakfast facility off the site.
Both indoor and outdoor pools were within walking distance of the rooms and offered amenities for non-swimmers and little splashers as well. We enjoyed many hours pool side with our family and other guests that quacking became friends with tales of shared experiences.
In a town with more golf courses per capita than any other community in the nation, the River House golf course offer one of the finest golfing experiences in the area. Golfer or not the natural beauty and openness of the lush green and pleasantly golf facility only adds to the ambiance experienced by the guests, especially for those city folk that live in a more hectic and congestive environment.
To say that our stay at the River House Resort was enjoyable was an understatement. It was the most complete facility I’ve had the opportunity to experience at reasonable prices. Even though it had issues due to its age, what it offered in the way of enjoyment over shadowed any small items dealing with minor age or obsolescence to my more sensitive and trained eye.
The City of Bend was great and we will be back next year and probably for many years to come. My whole family found things to do that added to the enjoyment of all. After our week in the town I cannot imagine visiting this community again and not making the River house Inn a part of the equation.
I would recommend this facility to everybody that wants a destination resort but hesitate to do so since due to its current popularity I want to make sure that I can make my reservations without creating my own competition for rooms next year.
As a side note neither I nor anyone in our family or our friends has any affiliation with this facility; we are just travelers that appreciate finding a great facility and want to share our experience with others so that they too might have an enjoyable and reasonably priced trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Frank B
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thanks so much for sharing such a thoughtful review with us Frank. It's an extreme pleasure to have hosted your visit to Bend, and your words fill us with an overwhelming pride. As you noted, we strive to afford our guests with a level of hospitality that's almost entirely lost at other properties, and we're thrilled to hear that you were able to appreciate this and so many of our offerings. We look forward to your travels to come and to sharing even more of our site and services. Many thanks again for being our guest; we're hugely thankful to have been able to share The Riverhouse with you.