“Never Disappointed! The Only Place To Stay and Pet Friendly, Too.”

Riverhouse on the Deschutes
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Bend
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

This is our usual "go to" hotel year around in Central Oregon. This visit, we were thrilled to get our usual great rate with an upgraded river front room.

The carpet was new, as was the couch, and everything was in great working order. And, we got an embarrassingly fabulous rate.

Breakfast was good, but like all hotels trying to stay in business, they have narrowed the selection a bit. But, since it was hot, fresh and included in the great rate, I could care less if the selection was limited. The eggs were yummy, the fruit fresh, coffee great, and the mini muffin was all I needed.

The negative reviewers about the age and shape of the property need to remember that this hotel is well used by active visitors who tromp in the hallways in ski boots, banging their equipment in the doorways, and use the hotel pretty hard. I think the hotel does a good job in keeping up with the abuse it likely takes.

Centrally located this is a great place to stay that has always treated us well. Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank SuburbanWife
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

It's such a pleasure to have you as a loyal guest and advocate of our Riverhouse Hotel, and we thank you for reaching out with such exceptional words of your experiences. We're hugely proud of our property and the history in its walls, and we're so glad to share it and our future with you. We'd love to host you again soon, and we encourage you to reach out to our team the next time you're craving a relaxing escape. All our best, and thanks again for your time and kind review!

Reviewed 31 January 2014

I recently traveled to the Bend area for work purposes. I found the staff to be very curteous. I was very impressed with the room and accomendations. I am planning on staying here again in February and would recommend this hotel to my co-workers or anyone else.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to our Riverhouse Hotel, and we thank you for extending such kind words of the experience, Larry. We take immense pride in affording our guests with a level of hospitality that's unrivaled in the region, and we're thrilled to hear that this left such an indelible impression on your visit. We'd certainly love to host you again soon, and we encourage you to reach out to the team the next time your travels return you to Bend. Many thanks again, and all our best until we hear from you again!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have always expected this hotel to be over priced, but was pleasantly surprised when we stopped on a whim to check it out. The price was very reasonable and included a buffet breakfast that was a very nice collection of items to choose. Fresh fruit, melon, eggs, meats, breads, juices, milk and coffee. Probably one of the best breakfasts we have found included in a hotel stay. In addition, they included drink tickets for the night, which was a very nice addition. When we first walked into the building for our room, the impression was that it was an older hotel, but upon opening the room door, we felt that they had taken their time in selecting nice room decor. The bed was wonderful in looks and comfort with white linen which is one of my favorite things to find in a hotel. The hotel is located right on the dechutes river which is beautiful and very close to shopping and entertainment. Will stay her again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a downstairs foom away from the river and it was just fine for what we needed. SUmmert...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

We're so happy to hear that after hesitation, you took the opportunity to experience our Riverhouse Hotel, Deb. We take great pride in maintaining a facility that's hard-pressed to beat, and we're so happy to hear that our site, services and views exceeded the mark. We'd certainly love to welcome you back and to share even more of our hospitality with you, and we encourage you to reach out to the team with any of your future destination needs. Many thanks for your time and review, and all our best until we see you again!

Reviewed 12 January 2014

My wife and I recently spent two nights at the Riverhouse Hotel over New Years. We were welcomed by the friendly staff and then headed to our very spacious river view room with a fireplace! The huge king bed was comfy and the room was clean and quiet. The location was great - centrally located for our tour of Central Oregon breweries, a fun night on the town for New Years and our outdoor pursuits as well. The complimentary breakfast provided a diverse offering and the coffee (for these picky drinkers) was strong and flavorful. The Riverhouse has been a favorite over the years and continues to be!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

We're so glad to have you as our regular guest, Mark, and we're thrilled to hear that your new year's was an exceptional one with us. As you know, we take immense pride in offering our guests an escape that's as serene and relaxing as it is marked by incomparable service. We look forward to hosting you soon, and we wish you all our best until we see you again. Many thanks for such a lovely review!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I am a commercial truck driver out of Reno,Nv. My company puts me up in lodging throughout Nevada,California,Idaho,Oregon and Washington. The rooms at the Riverhouse are always clean and comfortable. The staff is always friendly and helpful. This hotel has a restaurant/bar that overlooks the Deschutes River. There are also two swimming pools (one indoor) as well as a workout room. I would recommend this place for anyone staying in Bend, Oregon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the Deschutes River
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank steve n
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

We're so glad to have you as our regular guest, Steve, and we thank you for taking the time to share such a thoughtful and kind review with us. We're immensely proud of our site, offerings, and its unmatched view of the Deschutes, and we're glad that our property has become a reliable fixture of your travels. We look forward to your returning visits, and we hope that you'll reach out to us again soon. All our best until then!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I was the club leader for a group of 30 skiers here at the end of March 2013. The positives were that the rooms were large and had comfortable beds and that it was a great breakfast buffet. But the negatives would keep me from returning to this property.
Originally I was in a 2nd floor fireplace room across the river. It was laid out VERY poorly - if you used the murphy bed you couldn't walk around the room. There were also numerous steps and winding hallways to get to the room and a bit of a walk to get to the facilities on the other side including breakfast and the group shuttle bus to the mountain - we requested and received a 1st floor room in the main lodge area after one day.
As a group that came by bus from the airport we were dependent on the shuttle service from the hotel to get anywhere - and it was less than satisfactory. We waited over 45 minutes to an hour with multiple calls to be picked up from the mountain shiuttle stop and downtown - a mere 3-5 minute drive away. You couldn't walk to anything since the hotel was along a highway. Rooms were a bit worn. There are no elevators so you need to drag your luggage up stairs if you have a second floor room. Help is VERY spotty. You had to go across the long parking area to get to the dining area or small outdoor hot tub. Crossings Steakhouse is overpriced, and while the bartender was friendly - they closed up by 10 pm and there was no common area for the group to gather other than the bar. The most dissapointing thing was how we were treated on the departure. I had several conversations with the manager and he promised luggage assistance to get our bags and gear up the steep driveway to our bus on departure morning if we stacked it outside the lower building. That morning the van driver refused to move a single item and the front desk staff said the manager was not available and that it wasn't in our contract to move the luggage. I wasn't able to even eat breakfast as now I had to drag suitcases up the hill with the help of some of the group so we could make our departure to the airport. This lefta sour taste for me on this property. I advised our vendor that groups would be better suited to stay in town, in a newer property with elevators and walking distance to shops, bars, and restaurants.
I see the manager responds to all the reviews - wish he had responded when we needed him on our departure day.

Room Tip: Unless you like dragging your luggage up steps - get a first floor room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank DMKofNJ
RiverhouseHotelMgr, Manager at Riverhouse on the Deschutes, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

We host many ski groups every winter in conjunction with Mt Bachelor. The one message we hear so often is how great the staff and transportation around town is for the group. So it is disappointing to hear that we were extremely slow in some of the pick-ups last year. We can do as many 50 runs a day, so timeliness during the evening is a challenge, and I apologies for the long waits; we need to do better. We actually bring additional drivers on daily to try and avoid such delays. Luggage service in most cases are predetermined by the group contract. If the group chooses to opt out due to cost, it can make for some journeys to pick up points because the property covers many acres. Regardless, we should have been better at servicing the check out. I want to thank you for your business and feedback, and we wish your experience while visiting Bend and Mt Bachelor would have been better; again, this was disappointing to hear. Ski season is upon us again and many groups are back our way. We will do everything in our power to improve the operation and service to exceed the expectations of all groups. Thanks again for the feedback.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I'd really like to give them around 2.75 stars.

I have stayed at The Riverhouse every October for the last 5 years. I really enjoyed my first stay or two here. Each new stay, it's likability goes down. Last year my credit card was charged twice, with hardly an apology. The Crossings restaurant is an overpriced, average-at-best steakhouse. The staff is nice, but I feel every year there is some odd mix-up on their part. This year, they had changed my reservation to end a day earlier than I had reserved it for. I don't know when that happened because they had the details correct when I checked in. When they called to see when we would be leaving (because we were still occupying the room), I should have just rolled with it and spent my last night in a different hotel. My last stay at the Rivershore, I decided, will be just that - my last. I am going to check out The Oxford this year.

The location is my favorite part. The hotel straddles the Deschutes River. The fireplace rooms on the lower level right on the river are the best. I love leaving the slider open to hear the river and enjoy a nice fire. If you decide to stay here, I would recommend that room.

This year, I booked a little late and they only had the Executive Suite left. Sounds fancy right? WRONG.

When I checked in, I asked if they had any first level river view rooms available. The employee said there wasn't a single room left, but that the executive suite is a "REALLY nice room".

First, the room, in fact most of the hotel smells like they just started enforcing the no-smoking policy a month ago. An old, stale, cigarette smell. The kitchenette does have granite countertops as stated in the description, but the cabinets looked early 1990's, warn corners, just old and dingy. The appliances looked even older. The murphy bed was a beast to pull down from the wall. It was old and squeaky. The frame had dangerous looking metal with some sharp spots where it looked as if it didn't align when it got put up a time or two and the metal bent and broke off. It was one of the most uncomfortable beds I have ever stayed in at any hotel. I should add that I do find the beds in the other rooms I have stayed to be quite comfortable.

The couch seemed dingy, the dining table, the entertainment stand - it was all outdated. There was also old wallpaper peeling off the wall in several spots. I am fine with old - clean, well taken care of. I didn't care for the warn out, tired look. Especially since I paid nearly $200 per night. The carpet did seem new. The bathroom had a new vanity, but the tub/shower was absolutely enormous, awkwardly huge and old. Very old - that yellowed plastic look. The shower head seemed just as old. I couldn't find a setting I was happy with. I don't know what it was about the whole experience in that room, but I felt like I should probably be wearing shoes at all times, even in the shower.

We spent time at the restaurant bar several times and always enjoy the experience there. Decent food, great beer choices, shuffleboard, and staff who are attentive, but not annoying. The breakfast in the morning is great too.

Overall, I would no longer recommend this place. For the price I pay, I guess I just expect nicer accommodations.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms with a fireplace are the best
Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

We appreciate you returning to visit us at the Riverhouse; your business and feedback are important to us. First, I want to apologize for your recent visit and invite you to contact me directly so I can personally say that we are sorry. Repeat customers are the backbone of great businesses and we do not ever want to lose a customer. This Family run hotel has been here for 40 years and as you mention, it is quite unique. We have over 20 room types, with about half those facing the beautiful Deschutes River and many with actual wood burning fireplaces. The small cooking areas in many of our suites come in handy for families staying on a winter ski trip, or they're a base for summer fun in Bend. But I agree, it can seem a little awkward in a room being that's only being used for a short or overnight visit. We do have murphy beds in many of these rooms as well; they make the rooms very spacious and adds additional space when they are stored. These beds have a full box springs and mattresses, so they sleep comfortably when pulled down, but as mentioned, they can be heavy so many times we have them prepared for our guests upon arrival. I will be working with the front desk staff to ensure we follow all procedures to eliminate any billing concerns and that guest stay verifications are correct. I hope I get a chance to speak with you more about your visit.