“Beware of the Food at River Grille!”

River Lodge and Grill
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Boardman
La Grande, Oregon
“Beware of the Food at River Grille!”
Reviewed 19 July 2010

While staying at the River Hotel, I ate at Chef's Salad dinner at River Grille. I thought the lettuce tasted off, so did not each much of it. Shortly after eating, I began to get a stomach ache. Within an hour, I was violently ill and remained so through the night. The next morning, I informed the general manager, Bob Skeson, of my experience. He crossed him arms, told me that it was impossible that the restaurant food could have caused me to become sick and told me that their food was never a problem. He was abrupt and condescending. He did not apologize, much less offer to compensate my meal. I would not recommend the restaurant or the hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank 51936Vprof

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 22 February 2010

There's nothing wrong with the hotel. It's the restaurant that's the problem. I showed up with six other colleagues on a Saturday night and the restaurant was closed. It was 7:30 p.m.!!!! We had reservations at the hotel, so they knew we were coming and still practically closed the restaurant door in our face. My advice is call ahead if you want to eat there. Other than that, it's a pretty nice place.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Rastadog
riverlodgeandgrill, General Manager at River Lodge and Grill, responded to this review, 3 March 2010
In response to this review. There was no reservation made in restaurant on the night in question. The restaurant has the right to close early on nights where occupancy is low. If we do have guest come in during our close down we will remain to service our guest.
Oregon
Reviewed 10 February 2010

My family and I have had several experiences with the River Lodge and Grill. My brother got married there. We also have had several meals there. The lodge is lovely and grill is a elegant place to have dinner, that is if you don't have to experience Bob. Every time Bob has been around he has threatened to kick someone out or have them thrown in jail.

Stayed May 2009
1 Thank cookie__crum79
Longview, Washington
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I travel to Boardman on business about every 90 days and always stay at the Riverview. It is by far the best place in Boardman. The rooms have always been clean and quiet. The wireless internet connection is slightly above average in quality.

There is a restaurant in the hotel which I have visited for breakfast and dinner. The quality and selection is unexpectedly up scale for a place like Boardman. Meals were very good but the prices were a bit on the high side. Not many other dining options in the area.

My last visit in mid January 2010 was at a rate of $89 per night plus tax.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Sun Valley
Reviewed 7 October 2009

This is a perfectly acceptable hotel but the rooms are pretty basic. Hardy portions of greasy food for breakfast but most probably find it OK. Could have some healthier options. Nice views of river. Staff was very friendly. AAA rate $89 for a non view king.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Medical Lake, WA
Reviewed 21 September 2009

From the freeway, Boardman looks like a poor working town with older lodgings. The newest and nicest lodging is the River Lodge and Grill --out of sight on the shore of the Columbia River.

This property is only a few years old and is built in 'lodge style'. It has 49 rooms ( a couple are suites), has outdoor pool and hot tub, exercise room, small business center and meeting rooms. It is 2 story with elevator; we got an upper floor room to avoid possible overhead noise. Rooms that face the river cost an extra $10; other rooms face the parking lot. If possible, get the river view -- it is amazing.

Our 2 bed room was very large with both a table with 2 chairs and a desk and chair. Furnishings were in very good condition. Towels were large and soft. The sink outside of the bathroom was stainless steel (bar style) and there was a microwave, fridge, iron and hair dryer.

Restaurants are limited in Boardman; we ate meals at the Lodge and food was very good. Prices were slightly high, portions were nice sized, service was excellent and the restaurant is spacious with a wall of windows for viewing the river.

There is a small sand beach in front of the lodge and it is equipped with fire pit and wood, swings and volleyball net. There is also a paved walking path that goes along the river and passes between the lodge and the beach.

I beleive the riverview rooms rent for about $115; I got the government employee rate of $70 plus $10 for view so my cost was $80. I gave it a 4 out of 5 for value simply because the full price is pushing my budget but it's worth a splurge!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 31 July 2009

River Lodge & Grill in Boardman, OR was a wonderful surprise. Located right on the edge of the fantastic Columbia River, our room with a view on the second floor was delightful. The room was comfortable, with two beds, table and desk. It overlooked the river, separated from it by only a small stretch of beach. We placed the round table right next to the glass doors, ordered room service from the Grill and enjoyed! The food from the grill was fresh and delicious and served with a smile. I highly recommend people try to make the hotel a stop on the way to Portland. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boardman
Oxford Suites Hermiston
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Hermiston Downtown
Tillicum Inn
Tillicum Inn
#2 of 3 in Umatilla

Been to River Lodge and Grill? Share your experiences!