“Nice history, but unnoteworthy now”
Review of Bridal Veil Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bridal Veil
Bridal Veil Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Bridal Veil B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 May 2007

If you're looking for lodging along the old historic Columbia Gorge highway through the area where there are the most waterfalls, this is it. Bridal Veil Falls is just across the highway and has 2 different hikes. (Warning, be careful crossing! Cars fly through here.) As the proprietor explained in an earlier posting, this is an old "auto lodge" dating back to the 20s - you can see an old photo at the park site across the street - and is a family home handed down through the generations.

You must prepay for your room with a check or money order. Although I made my reservation early, I hadn't sent my check with about 2-3 weeks to go before my arrival and this prompted a rather nervous phone call from the proprietor. But, I suppose they get stood up a lot without a credit card guarantee. Unlike some B&Bs where you have a lot of interaction with the operators, I felt these folks wanted just the opposite. They both have "day jobs" so the inn is not their entire focus. I met Roger, who made my breakfast on his day off, but only talked to Laurel on the phone.

The "cottage" is like a little duplex. It has what I thought was a connecting door so could be used for people traveling together. Accessibility is limited (gravel path with a couple of steps up; steps up to the main house for breakfast), so people with disabilities might have a bit of a time here. Although the room was nicely appointed, if you are a clean freak you might find it wanting. Cobwebs were hanging from the ceiling, there was mildew around the shower and faucets, and there was also evidence of either leakage or condensation on the skylights with more mildew stains and water streaks. (It might help if last winter's debris were removed from the roof.) There was a small fridge with a terrible odor and water in the bottom when I opened it. One window opener is broken, light bulb missing...little stuff like that.

Trains run along the Gorge and although you can hear them, I found this property much quieter than either of the hotels my mom and I had shared the two nights prior, one in Vancouver and one in Hood River. Although it's close to the road, there is virtually no traffic at night so that's no problem.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank deborahj62

Reviewed 6 April 2007

My husband and I stayed recently at Bridal Veil Lodge, and loved our stay. Everything in our cottage room was designed for comfort - the big window seat where you could stretch out to read a book, the soft yet firm bed, and even an in-room thermostat to control the temperature to our liking. There were fluffy robes, coffee maker and fixings, a mini-refrigerator, and loads of books and maps to help us find a good hike and fun things to do in the area. I fell asleep to a deep silence, and woke to the sound of birds. My first sight in the morning was looking through the skylight at majestic firs and cedars rising high above us. Breakfast was served in the lodge, amid antiques original to the house, and music from days gone by. It was more than a retreat from our busy lives, it was a retreat to simpler times. Our hosts, Laurel and Roger, knew the area intimately, and could recommend where to catch the most beautiful, dramatic waterfalls and vistas. We had a delightful time, and can't wait to go back.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank J_and_C_from_Orcas
Reviewed 9 January 2007

Was looking forward to staying in a historic lodge. Very disappointed to be placed in the more recent "cottage" with only limited access to the historic lodge which appears to be used primarily as a residence. Only for breakfast do you get to enter the front part of the lodge. The owners stated that they prefer that the clients stay in the cottage and only on occasion are folks placed in the lodge itself. The cottage was cozy, clean, and nicely located across from Bridal Veil falls, although a bit overpriced compared to other similar options. So if you are an afficionado of historic B&B stays (like we are), I can not recommend this lodge. I you want comfortable and private lodging right in the midst of the Columbia Historic Highway - this is it!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Adventure_Debi
BridalVeilLodge, Owner/innkeeper at Bridal Veil Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2007

Because we are in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, regulations restrict us to two guest rooms. We have found that the cottage rooms are the overwhelming favorite of our guests, because of the natural setting, privacy, and ambience, so those are the ones most often booked for B&B guests (guests are informed when reserving where their room will be). My great-grandfather built the place as a lodge and a restaurant, and originally there were more cottages as well as campsites. We welcome guests for breakfast in the great room, which stretches across the entire front half of the building, and includes the dining area and sitting room. Guests are welcome to lounge in this area at other times. The lodge is our home as well, so it is not available at all times, and not all areas are accessible to guests. We can't be everything to everyone! We hope you will visit us and see for yourself and enjoy the beauty of this spectacular natural area.

Reviewed 21 May 2006

Fine establishment -- friendly host, clean and comfortable room. Very generous breakfast. Welcomes bike riders.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank Ronold P
Reviewed 23 February 2004

Spent a couple of nights here in the summer of 2003. The rooms were beautiful, filled with memorabilia, clean and located in a lovely spot.
Made to feel welcome in the house although breakfast was a little disappointing - not much of a choice ( French bread with syrup / pancakes) Nice for children too although we had to pay for 2 double rooms.

1  Thank michelle_ent_04

Been to Bridal Veil Lodge? Share your experiences!