“The chapel there is beautiful”
Review of Azalea Park

Azalea Park
Ranked #3 of 20 things to do in Brookings
More attraction details
Owner description: Restored by the city of Brookings, this park boasts 1,100 azaleas and some rhododendrons.
Brookings, Oregon
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“The chapel there is beautiful”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Lovely flowers and statues, an outdoor stage for summer concerts and a chapel. A nice large wooden playground. Walking paths throughout the park, in a nice area.

1 Thank denwil1

Sherwood, or
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Christmas Lights”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This was our second Christmas Vacation to the Southern Oregon Coast and our second visit to see the lights...the community spends a lot of time putting on this display and it is a worthwhile stop. Make sure that you purchase the 3-D glasses; it adds to the experience.

BTW...the park is adorable, adorned with a charming rustic chapel overlooking the sea. Although we've only been in the winter and only seen the lights, I am sure that when the azalea's are in bloom it is absolutely stunning!

1 Thank LF2011
Brookings, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“was kicked out for walking my lab dog, by a fake cop”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I was previewing the lights last xmas before my grandkids arrived and a man screamed and told me dogs were not allowed. I thought he was a policeman, then I thought he was a plain clothes security agent, so I left but found out dogs were not banned, so I just was discriminated against.
When I asked his name and he said "Frank" I realized he wasn't a cop, but I left and my grandkids never got to see the lights

1 Thank Sweetman D
Redlands, California
119 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“Nice park, beautiful chapel”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The azaleas were not in bloom when we stopped here in September 2013, but the park was still nicely maintained and beautifully green. We stopped in to the Capella Chapel, which was a beautiful tribute to one of Brookings' resident's late wife (per the friendly volunteer present at the time). A delightful architectural beauty on the edge of the garden with a beautiful view. If you want to stop and stretch your legs, this park is close to Hwy 101 and a nice break from driving.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank SLPlovesPE42
South Central Orange County, CA
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“Good place for kids to burn off roadtrip steam”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The park has a play area that looks like a wooden fort. My 7-year old enjoyed running around, climbing, and otherwise working off pent up energy after hours of sitting in the car as we drove down the coast.

This year was particularly dry, and September is not the best month for viewing the flowers. I appreciated the historical marker (Oregon State Historical Marker #1, by the way) at the south entrance to the park on the corner of Old County Rd and N Bank Chetco River Rd (shown as "Constitution Rd" on my nav system). It marks the only aerial attack on a state in the USA during WWII (both Alaska and Hawaii were territories at the time). A Japanese submarine launched a float plane on September 9, 1942, and the plane's pilot dropped two incendiary bombs in the forest a few miles east of the park. The pilot was invited back to the town in 1962 and donated his family sword (currently on display in the Chetco Community Library nearby).

Visited September 2013