“Great breakfast and friendly service”

Mattie's Pancake House
Ranked #3 of 66 Restaurants in Brookings
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and youngest daughter(3 years old) visited this restaurant for the first time yesterday. We got there just in time to get a table! We were greeted with a friendly hello and they asked which type of table we preferred. We were seated right away and instantly served hot coffee. They brought glasses of ice water out for us and a sippy cup for my daughter along with some fun cars for her to play with.
I was able to figure out what I wanted for myself and my daughter right away, my husband took a little longer. They politely asked if he needed more time and could come back.
I ordered chicken fried steak. It came with eggs, hashbrowns and toast. My husband ordered the biscuits and gravy which looked very yummy. My daughter got the pancake, egg and bacon for kids. We received our order pretty quickly. The food was hot and good. My chicken fried steak was cooked perfectly. My daughter's pancake was in the shape of mickey mouse. Her bacon looked just a tad bit over cooked (at least for my taste) but it still tasted good.
This is a small restaurant and fills up quick! We saw lots of people waiting in line and some waited for awhile. But I would say its well worth it. Very friendly staff! They had a blast with my daughter and all seemed happy to be working there. I will definitely go back!! The prices are very good and service if very friendly. If you have to wait its worth it!!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Matties has become a favorite. Maureen and the rest of the crew are great. Add the terrific food EVERYTIME YOU GO THERE...you have a wonderful experience. 5++++++

Reviewed 30 January 2014

We had breakfast here after a one night stay in Brookings. It was excellent. We shared a crab & swiss cheese omelet with toast. Service was great and the food was excellent. Lots of crab and the potatoes were crispy as we had ordered. The coffee was excellent and they continually filled my cup. When we left they gave me a large cup of coffee to go and did not charge me extra. We will be back again. Don't miss this clean and efficient breakfast and lunch spot.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I don't eat pancakes but family we have taken there, and the family member who took us there, and my husband all do. I have heard nothing but praise about how light, fluffy and delicious the pancakes are. This place is small and always pretty full. They make a good breakfast. I've had several different things there, and alway gotten more food than I can finish by myself. It's very good, and the price is extremely reasonable. There is plenty of parking. If you are just passing through our area, and want a quick, good tasting breakfast, it's a great place to stop. If you have a little more time, and want a more off the beaten path breakfast I would say try the Hyouchi Cafe. Don't know anyone who has had pancakes there, but what we have had has been really good too.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Had shopping to do in Brookings. On way home we were hungry so decided to give Mattie's a try. There are usually a lot of cars parked outside so that was a good sign. It was about 1:25 PM. When we got to door noticed sign said closed at 1:30 but door was open and there were quite a few people inside so we entered. Waitress came and I asked about closing and she confirmed they close at 1:30 but she had just locked door so we were fine. We ordered one of the Senior Breakfast's: pancakes, bacon, and egg. Wife commented how good the coffee was and they kept cups filled. I had to tell her no more. It didn't take long for meal and they didn't hurry us. Wife couldn't eat all hers so I had to help her. That ended up being my dinner. Now I know why parking lot usually full and we will stop by again when we have more time to try different things. Looks like they have specials. Great atmosphere.