“Nice But NOT Luxury”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brookings
Lowden's Beachfront Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 4 Brookings B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 November 2007

We were really looking forward to this "luxurious" B&B. The location is great -- right on the beach, and the beach is wonderful Oregon coastline.

The unit itself was small: a small bedroom and a very small sitting room. The bedding was actually luxurious, but nothing could make up for the uncomfortable bed -- it was a very old mattress. One of us actually gave up and spent most of two nights sitting up. We were there for four nights, and the mattress made us glad to leave.

Otherwise, the place is extremely clean. Furnishings are modest but decent. There are large sliding glass doors onto the deck. The little sitting room has a small fridge, coffee maker, table with two chairs, a sofa and old-style television. There isn't actually breakfast, they bring you a basket with some muffins wrapped in plastic and there is orange juice in the fridge and the coffee maker. The wireless connection is free. The proprietors were knowledgable and friendly.

All in all a decent place, except for the mattress.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank highway-blues

Reviewed 11 November 2007

From your suite, starting from your left, you see a bridge (Hwy 101) reflected in the the pristine waters of the Winchuck River and, as backdrop, the river valley and hills of the National Redwood forest (we walked a fantastic trail here...ask Barbara about it). As you scan to the right, the beaches of Pelican Bay (California border is just yards away) stretch out before you. Moving along further to your right, the river estuary, loaded with birds, meets the ocean. At the Ocean, waves blast into the off-shore rocks where seals and sea birds sun themselves. The entertainment never ends and the view constantly changes with the tides and angle of the sun. The suite is wonderfully appointed by your caring hosts, Gary and Barbara Lowden. I slept on the most comfortable bed, with soft silky sheets and feather light comforters. I loved the extra long cord on the showerhead (for us tall guys) and my wife loved the deep tub. She had loads of extra towels and a big bar of soap (not those tiny 1 inch things), really good coffee, popcorn to go along with lots of current movies (to play on your private in-suite DVD). My only regret...I only booked 1 night. We definitely will return.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank westcoastfan74
Reviewed 21 September 2007

Barbara was very helpful even long before we arrived, making local recommendations, providing dining tips, etc. Having a resource like this makes us comfortable to always stay with them.

Incredible view of the ocean, and an easy walk down to the shore. Separate living room from the bedroom made this a very comfortable spot. Mini fridge, microwave, dining table, couch, this was homey!

If there would be any complaint, it would have been breakfast. Call me picky, but at a B&B, even if they deliver "continental breakfast" to your room, I want something that might just fool me into believing it is homemade. Guess I am getting tired of the store bought giant muffins that try to make up in quantity what they don't have in quality. Improve this and the property would quickly get 5 stars.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2007

I stayed at Lowden's Beachfront Bed and Breakfast for 10 days during April of 2007.
The view of the Winchuck River and Pacific ocean is absoluley incredible, and complimented with the gorgeous sunsets and breath taking scenery.
The owners of the Bed and Breakfast are very kind people, with lots of information about the surrounding areas, "tourist attractions" such a caves, the Redwood Forest groves, horse back riding, and best of all fishing! ( which includes, surf, river and ocean fishing).
Most importantly the suites are comfortable, clean and really well looked after. They are warm and safe ( I 'm a 22 year old gal on my first solo trip!).
My stay at Lowden's Beachfront Bed and Breakfast was super rewarding, I am glad I chose their place for my holidays. I even walked their dog, Cody, on the beach every morning before breakfast. He loves to chase sticks!
I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to get away, and feel just as comfortable as they do at home.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank kazziopia
Reviewed 7 December 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed one night here on our way from San Francisco to Portland for Thanksgiving. We took the scenic Hwy 101 and found ourselves enjoying one of the most relaxing nights of our lives. The B&B is snuggled in the back of this quante little ocean side neighborhood. The house is situated directly on the oceanfront where a small river meets the ocean. Directly in front of your room is the river flowing straight to the sea. One review says that you can't see a good sun set, but we watched a beautiful sunset from right on the beach. We arrived around 3pm and were happily greeted by the owner. She took us to our room and showed us where everything was. She went so far as to recommend great dining in the area and even offered to let us borrow a movie that she had just rented. The room is very cozy and out one window we were able to watch a few people fishing for salmon in the river and out the front glass door you can see the river meeting the ocean. My girlfriend and I started by taking a nice walk on the beach, where we collected very cool looking smooth shaped stones. Afterwards, we went to dinner and returned to snuggle up and watch a movie. The morning was enjoyed with fresh crouissants and fresh squeezed O.J. provided free of charge. The privacy here was perfect (granted we were the only ones staying that night). All in all, if you ever find yourself on the Pacific Northwest and want a little peace and quiet....stop by Lowden's.

Stayed: November 2006
Reviewed 30 July 2006

We stayed here one night and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. You access the beach by a rather long walkway through the driftwood and are able to walk quite a ways down the beach. There is a very large beach during low tide which allows you to find tons of starfish! I think my daughter found 66! It's fun checking out all the driftwood and different rocks you can find. The rooms were neat and clean and we had a large bathroom with a double sink. Barbara was very helpful and accomodating. She was a wonderful hostess! The privacy was wonderful. The views were wonderful and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank Tweetybeets
Reviewed 10 July 2006

Just spent two lovely nights at this charming little bed and breakfast by the sea. I have spent time in the area before at another wonderful spot, but was not able to book there for all the nights I wanted on this trip, so ventured out to find a new piece of heaven on the Oregon coast. This is it. Barbara and Gary are wonderful hosts and obviously want their guests to share their terrific home on the shore. Attention is paid to all amenities and they provide a lovely setting to let all the cares of hectic life at home slip away into the river or ocean seen from each of the two suites they offer along with a beautiful large deck overlooking the ocean. They even share their dog and kitty, both who delight in the guests who share their home. Price is right, suites are spacious and well appointed and hosts, both two and four legged make one feel right at home. For lovers of sunset viewing from the privacy of your own deck, it should be noted that this home does not face west directly to the ocean but more south so a little walk onto the lovely beach is needed for sunset photography. However, the trade off is a great view of how the Winchuck River meets the sea and we even saw some sea otters who have adapted themselves to river life! Privacy is honored, but friendliness abounds. I whole heartedly recommend this spot and will be back.

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank ksilb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookings
BEST WESTERN Beachfront Inn
#8 of 8 in Brookings
Mt. Emily Ranch
Mt. Emily Ranch
#1 of 4 in Brookings

Been to Lowden's Beachfront Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!