“Our 29th wedding anniversary.”

Whaleshead Beach Resort
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I made reservations over the phone cabin unseen, had no idea where it was located in the area. I asked the lady to pick one for us that looked at the ocean and that had a hottub. We arrived and we were totally appreciative as to what she picked out for us. It had all the comforts of home and we watched the stars as we sat in the hottub at night. It was incredible and the view of the ocean was fantastic. We also had a visitor in the morning a baby fawn walked right past us about five feet away from us. Had alot of privacy and the cabins were very clean and well kept.

We can't wait to go back, everything was absolutely wonderful. Thank you very much. We shall return next September for out 30th anniversary.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank danEandbrendac
Bill D, Manager at Whaleshead Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

We always appreciate a good review and strive to make every guest comfortable. I am so happy this reviewer enjoyed their stay and look forward to their return visit. Always remember that all cabins are privately owned. What is in one may not be in another but all are comfortable. What pleases one may not please another. Check the website and ask questions. We want all of our guests to experience what this reviewer experienced.

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

I made our reservation on the road as we spent too much time on some wonderful Oregon beaches. Their website showed they had pet friendly accommodations, but I called to make sure. We arrived after sunset, so it was dark & couldn't see the cabin's outside. There wasn't much light when I took the dog for a walk--a lot like camping. Our unit faced the RV, but who cared we just needed to sleep. The unit needed some TLC on the outside (it looked well used). The unit on the inside felt like a shabby home--cheap Walmart rugs on top of the living room carpet. The furniture smelled funky & needed to be cleaned. The towels were well used (not matching). The sheets were also well used & pilled. The pillowed were lumpy & stained (glad we had our own pillows)!! The bathroom had mold growing in a couple of corners (my allergies really kicked into high gear), the shower curtain was super thin, & the bathroom sink dripped all night. We didn't use the hot tub. We reported the sink dripping when we checked out. One last thing, we didn't eat at the restaurant --it smelled like someone had been smoking at the front office which is the entrance to the restaurant. Our unit was rustic & shabby NOT a resort in any sort of way.

• Stayed: September 2013
13  Thank aquaH2Omama

Check out the review just below this one. Same cabin, different perspective. The web site actually has pictures of the inside of the cabin and is described as an older model that shows wear and tear.

Cabin has new sheets, pillow cases and towels; all matching. Owner advises this cabin will be pulled out of the rental pool after the first of the year for a complete face lift.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I've been in a different cabin both times, both ocean view. Both have been very basic, but very clean, nice, comfortable places to stay. Both times I would say the 'desk staff' was minimally helpful (at reservation, check in, check out) but not unkind or rude. Luckily, I go for the beach, the getaway and the relaxation of the trip, not to make friends with the staff. I will definitely go again, my daughters LOVE sleeping in the loft cabins.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Bill D, Manager at Whaleshead Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

A pleasure to read an honest review from someone that comes for the quiet beauty of the coast. These cabins are all privately owned some of them are spartan in nature, as reflected in the personality of the owner.

I would like to see our office staff exhibit friendliness at all times but when it gets busy, with people waiting to be helped, they do tend to rush through the check-in process. We are working on this.

I would invite everyone to check out our web site. Look at the pictures and locate the cabin on the park map. This will give you an idea of what each cabin looks like, inside and out.

(Web site should be up and running by the 15th of this month)

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Upon arrival we were told that they were only going to hold one cabin for us for one night, even though we had already made reservations for two nights for two different cabins, all because they had told us that the first cabin we had for the first night, it would be occupied by someone else the following night.

I reassured the lady at the desk that there was not going to be any problem with our card and the full amount going through for two nights stay, after she had concerns that we'd only be able to afford one night stay. So she went ahead and kept the second night for us after I had to reassure her that we were planning on staying for two nights.

My wife and I both felt like we were treated like second class citizens upon arrival because of that! The first cabin we stayed in had a "working" hot tub which was a plus! This was the one they told us would be occupied the following evening so we had to switch to the next cabin over. Low and behold Nobody showed up that evening after we moved out of it, and no one was there the following morning either!

We not only felt treated poorly upon arrival, but they flat out lied to us or at the least failed to inform us that the people who were going to stay in that cabin the following evening, canceled!!! Too late, we were already moved into the new one, with an empty non-working hot tub of course, when we really could have used one that evening from all the walking we did that day. One of the lady's that works there, we had to continuously repeat our last name, date and cabin we were staying in before she found us on file. What is someone doing working there with the attention span of a 5 year old and partially deaf?

Did I mention their breakfast sucks and is too pricey for the slop they serve you!
Their cabins smell of mildew and tree sap, They have major raccoon problems still managing to dig through the outside trash even with their less than raccoon proof bungee cords attempting to strap the lids down also you can hear the raccoons trying to get into the cabins in the middle of the night to search for food. Lock your doors!!! because they built on wild critters territory. They need to pave the rest of their roads that are still filled with rocks and dirt. Anyone could slip and fall on the roads that have partial dirt and rocks on them going down the steeper parts of the park.

I found dead bugs and spiders through out each cabin we stayed in, cob webs, and underneath the beds I found a few different women's hair clips/bands!!! Not the first thing I want to think of when staying the night in the same bed previous couples had wild sex in previous nights ago. They need to do a more thorough job cleaning on the walls, in the corners and check underneath the beds!

We won't be going back for all of those reasons. Holiday Inn will treat you much better and their breakfasts rock and are free!

Room Tip: Don't stay here, You'd do better to save money and stay in a motel that would offer more cle...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank N0neyabiz
Bill D, Manager at Whaleshead Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

This reviewer is mistaken when he states that we would only hold one cabin for him. His reservation was made for two cabins and that's what was available to him. The fact that the cabin he stayed in the first night was not occupied is due to a NO SHOW by the people that had reserved for that time slot. (The no show was charged one night on their card in accordance with our cancellation policy.)

WHAT!! Why would any business question the validity of a credit card? Any one that has a credit card knows that once run thru the machine, it it either accepted or declined, period.

Racoons--We are in the mountains and racoons live in the mountains. Paved verses unpaved roads, Wild sex the previous evening???

This reviewer definitely has some issues but I don't think they are with us.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

My wife and I just got back from our stay in Brookings yesterday, the 25th. Our encounter with Waleshead was disappointing. My wife called the place several weeks ago, and talked to a man that worked there about booking a cabin. He said that while there were no ocean views left, there were forest view cabins with hot-tubs left. My wife and I book C-15. We live in Chico, Ca. We made the 6-7 hour drive up there, honestly looking forward to our stay! When we get there, we are ecstatic. We go into the office, and the receptionist lady has a dog on a leash tugging her away from the desk as she tries to help us. I think "Is this a service dog? Because otherwise..." She then tells us that the hot-tub in our cabin is broken, and that they are going to take $25 dollars off of our $130 dollar room. I say that I want a little more off because we booked the cabin and one of the main reasons was the hot-tub, to which she said "Bill our manager will only take $25 dollars off, that's it. Unless you want to talk to him, and I don't think you want to talk to him." I felt like I was getting muscled around here. In hindsight it was somewhat threatening. She also tells us that the room may not be cleaned yet, so just come back up if not, even though we got there AFTER check-in time. So we go to our room and it has evidently just been cleaned because the cleaning staff was cleaning another patrons room as the waited until they were done. I go up to our porch, and I see a big pile of dog poop on the porch. I tell the cleaning staff and they say that they have to call someone else to clean it. So we go inside, and the cabin honestly smelled like some form of urine... On top of that, we go out back and there is old moldy water on the plastic chairs on the back porch, and the hot-tub is empty.

We decide to get a refund. So we drive up to the dog lady, and tell her. She looks at us incredulously and then goes and calls Billy-boy. Bill comes in and the receptionist points him to me, and he says he wants to go to the cabin with us. We go down, and I point out the dog poop. He seems to concede a bit that this is unacceptable... We go inside, he takes a couple of wiffs, and starts to say that it smells like cleaning supplies... like Pinesol... I say that to me it smells like urine, sorry Bill it just does. We go outside and I ask if I am going to get my refund, to which he replies, "Oh you will get your refund!" We go up to the office and he roars in, tossing the keys to the dog lady and saying things like "Unbelievable" and "It's only because of the hot-tub!" As well as "Give him his refund!"

He then leaves. I think the startling this about all of this is the way that Bill conducted himself. He was overly hostile, sarcastic, and rude about the whole thing. I felt threatened by the lady when she said "unless you want to talk to Bill..." What does that mean!? I don't care who Bill is. I have read other comments that Bill D. has made here on this site... and frankly in person he did not portray to me the polite person that his posts make him out to me. Bill do you think that my wife and I wanted to ask for a refund just for kicks? We drove 7 hours bud... we were excited... WE WERE TOTALLY LET DOWN. Be nicer next time Bill.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Jeffrey B

Lets start by saying that we have a staff of very competent ladies taking reservations, (not some man)

For the review: When a cabin is rented, if the hot tub is not working the guest is advised before taking the reservation, not after. This company cannot know when something is going to break down and breakdowns do happen. If we have other cabins available we try to accommodate.

This reviewer is spot on with me going to the cabin with him. The first thing pointed out was the dog poop left on the back deck by the previous renter. Something that was missed by the maintenance people---NO EXCUSE.

The smell in the cabin was of pine-sol and soap. The housekeeping staff had just vacated the cabin after a thorough cleaning. This cabin was rented not two hours later to a walk-in customer and they stated that they had a great time. No problems reported concerning the cabin.

This reviewer was given a refund and when ask, it was stated it's about the hot tub.

Is there really a place on a review site for name calling, exaggerations and innuendo???

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Here was our experience in July 2013: everything was FILTHY, including the dishes, the linens, the floors, the walls and the cupboards. The staff were mostly rude. A man came to "check the water meter" who had NO identifying badge, clothing or anything. Many drawers would not open and were broken. There was one love seat and NO OTHER FURNITURE in a cabin that sleeps six. The hot tub leaked and sprayed water everywhere, including over our towels. The grill was filthy. The front door did not lock. Aside from a spice rack and one picture on the wall, it was a virtually empty cabin with no homey touches whatsoever. There was not even a bath mat to step onto. After coming to this location for about 6 or 7 years, we will NOT be back - ever. Oh - I forgot - there was TRASH under the outside steps. Too many more to remember.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Oregonian2013

This review reads like a novel: Reviews are very subjective in nature and this one in particular. If the cabin was that filthy, I for one would not have stayed there. Do you not think this reviewer would (at least) go to the office and ask for a staff member to accompany him to the cabin, or ask to be moved; maybe a refund and move on?

There is NO water meter at any of the cabins. Leaking and spraying hot tub??? Never seen one do that before.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

This is really a great place to stay, while visiting the Oregon coast. It's not only private and peaceful, with all the comforts of home, but it is the same lodging price as most of the motels. I will stay here over and over again and HIGHLY recommend it to everyone I know and on here :)

Room Tip: There is a hot tub out on the deck, with amazing views of the ocean. This can be, either an amazingl...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scottsbabe541
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookings
BEST WESTERN Beachfront Inn
Lucky 7 Casino & Hotel – Howonquet Lodge
Gold Beach Inn
Gold Beach Inn
#4 of 8 in Gold Beach

Been to Whaleshead Beach Resort? Share your experiences!