Whaleshead Beach Resort
Brookings Inn(Brookings)
Westward Inn(Brookings)
Ocean Suites Motel(Brookings)
View Hotel
Ship Ashore Resort(Smith River)
View Hotel
All reviewsliving roomcozy cabinwi fioregon coastovdeckcreekoceantrailerprivacy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Small cabin with a loft was perfect for a family of four. The cabins are smaller and a bit rustic, but it is a cabin and not a hotel so our expectations were met. You can't beat the views, location, hot tub and having a full kitchen. Front desk was very nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I absolutely love staying in park model lodging....much more than hotels so I really wanted to be delighted with this place.

The best part of this place is the privacy....yes there are a lot of units and they are close together but you still have a sense of peace and privacy. Nice walking areas and trails - tunnel is a little spooky - bring a flashlight, and the overall area is very clean and well kept on the grounds.

On the not so positive side when we arrived we noticed that things were a little dingy with the unit we stayed in but as long as it's clean, dingy can be dealt with. We'll say that things were less than clean. The silverware drawers were dirty, the cupboards were dirty on the outside and when we used the bowls, they were still wet from their previous cleaning/use. The silverware was spotty and smeared like somebody just wiped them off and stuck them back in the drawer after their use without actually cleaning them. There was splatter on the underside of the toilet seat when we arrived (I will not go into further detail on that) and the shower was black in the seams of the plastic. On our last morning my son climbed under the futon to hide from us and found a dog turd under there. I did let the front desk know upon checkout and they were mortified.....our unit was supposed to be a pet free one.

There was a nice little hot tub but it was set to 108 degrees and there were notices when you checked in and at the unit that you are not to adjust the hot tub but to ask for assistance from the front desk....that's too much of a hassle to deal with. We only got to put our legs in instead of actually fully enjoying it in the way it was intended. When we got out of the hot tub our towels and legs smelled mildewy but I also could smell the chlorine so I know it was somewhat treated...I think it may have just needed a fresh batch of water as hot tubs occasionally do. There were lots of twigs/dirt in the bottom.

Overall for the price our experience was fair although I do not believe I'll be returning. Next time I'll definitely read the reviews before booking. While there are a lot of really good reviews, there are also lots of bad reviews about the cleanliness of the resort which usually keeps me away from them. For $130+/night at the very least I expect cleanliness.

Room Tip: Know what your expectations are before booking and make sure and read all recent reviews.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank moonovrmiami
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a great time renting one of their cabins that had a jacuzzi on the large deck that had views of the ocean and forests. The cabin was roomy and warm and had a nice little kitchen. We really enjoyed listening to music on their sound system.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is always a dependable getaway. Close enough to the Rogue Valley, yet far enough away to get away. The views out over the Pacific are magnificent, especially from the hot tub! The beach access is just minutes away.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I had called to reserve cabin
U21 ( which was already booked) and they recommended cabin U8. I explained that we were a party of 6 and had three men over 6 feet tall. I was told it was 3 queen beds one in the bedroom 2 in the loft. as well as the foldout sleeper sofa. the reality was one queen bed in the bedroom two twins in the loft a broken futon and a torn fold out chair. the worst was the shower which was an18 gallon tank that one person could not shower with let alone six. for a party of 6 we had one roll of toilet paper for a week four towels, three plates, 3 cups how does that accommodates 6 people? (I had actually driven up 6 weeks earlier to view the resort and the cabins however I was told it was owner occupied and they were not allowed to disturbe them.) Had they shown me the cabin or even one similar to it we would have made different arrangements at that time. the office was notified 3 times and we requested to move, and were told somebody would get back with us, we never heard back from them at all and then they denied that we had ever called, our phone records show differently . and yes there were ants in ours as well however there was a can of ant spray available that we used. upon checkout we spoke with Danielle the manager who called her boss, we wanted to resolve the issue. We asked that we not be charged for the additional adults being that the sleeping accommodations and shower accommodations were unacceptable. again we got the runaround. Danielle is incapable of handling the situation apparently she has worked with the resort since she was 15 as a house maid and was put into management with absolutely no managerial training skills. we did videotape our conversation with her which will be posted on YouTube. She gave us her boss's number which happened to be the office number not actually his number, we called him every hour on the hour after we left the resort and still have not heard from him. we did locate the owner of the cabin and spoke with him and the situation is still pending if it ends up in the Ventura Court so be it.

• Stayed: April 2014
12  Thank mabelee
Bill D, Manager at Whaleshead Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

This review is a total fabrication. In the first place this reviewer was part of a large party that booked and stayed in cabin #U-21. This party also booked and stayed in cabin #U-8. The entire party stayed for a total of 6 days.

Cabin #U-21 has 2 Queen beds downstairs and 2 queen mattresses upstairs. This cabin also has an annex room that can be added to the booking and this party elected to do just that. The annex has a Queen bed as well as it's own bathroom/shower facilities. Cabin #U-8 has a Queen bed downstairs and 2 Twin beds upstairs.

The original reservation for this large party was for 4 people in Cabin #U-8 and 5 people in cabin # U-21. A total of 9 people.

I will tell you that there were considerably more that 9 people in this party but Whaleshead chose to let it go and not make a big deal out of the extra people. In retrospect, maybe we should have ask for the entire party to leave.

As far as the rest of the review, all fabrications and lies.

False accusations and reviews do nothing to help the travelers following. All they do is make sites like this one irrelevant.