“Beat-Up Building but Fresh and Flavorful Food”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Wally's Chinese Kitchen
Ranked #31 of 44 Restaurants in Canby
Cuisines: Chinese
Salem, Oregon
“Beat-Up Building but Fresh and Flavorful Food”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

The outside makes it look old and run down. The inside (especially the restrooms) also showed signs of aging. But when the food arrives, you'll quickly forget the decor!

Another reviewer said not to let the building scare you off. I almost did let it do just that, but my wife persuaded me otherwise. We were very pleased that we didn't drive away!

The menu offered family-style dining options as well as combination plates for individual orders. Most meals come with tea and soup, and everything was finished off with a fortune cookie. We ordered two combination plates--one with a noodle dish and one with a rice dish--and the crab puff appetizers. Everything was delicious.

The vegetables were obviously fresh--I could taste it. The corn in the egg flower soup might have been frozen, but it's hard to get fresh corn in January anyway. Both types of soup were full of flavor. The rice and meats were cooked to just the right temperature and consistency. I don't even remember the names of the dishes I ordered, but I can remember the taste, and I think I want to go back for more.

We shared our sweet-and-sour chicken with our three-year-old son, and he loved it. That's all he was interested in, but he ate it enthusiastically. We seem to have had a hard time finding good crab puffs (wontons with crab and cream cheese in them), but these were just right.

This place offers a small dining room for sit-down customers and a full take-out menu. I didn't find out if they deliver, but the prices are reasonable (probably better than reasonable, considering the quality of the food). The portions are large, so you'll definitely get good value.

Ignore the run-down appearance. This restauarant still has a heart of gold.

(Side note: We had a little trouble finding the place. It's closer to the north end of the town of Canby, right next to a NAPA Auto Parts shop. Ample parking in the back, near the entrance to a mobile home park.)

• Visited January 2013

Canby, Oregon
“Don't let the building scare you off...give it a try!”
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

The appearance is a bit off putting; however, the food is always cooked fresh to order. You can hear the cook chopping and cooking your order. The egg foo young and the crab puffs are the best around. Good good, well priced and a great deal. We go there a few times a month. Closed Mondays.

Canby, Oregon, United States
“Little place with big flavour”
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Basic chinese food prepared fresh and hot. If you want great taste this is the place to go. The food is not fancy but is very flavorful and doesn't taste like it has been sitting in a steam table. Food is prepared as it is ordered. The hot and sour soup is the best I have ever eaten.

Visited December 2012
Canby, Oregon
“Great food, but the building is a little worn in”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

This place is like a hole in the wall with great food for a great price. The portions are generous and they have the best egg flower soup, in my opinion. Just don't let the run down building scare you away!

Portland, OR
“Hit & Miss”
Reviewed 25 November 2008

I have gone to this restaurant multiple times within the past 12 years. It is a very hit & miss experience. I have had a few times where the food was good, most of the time it's okay, and there have been a few bad food days. The portions are always large. The place itself tends to make people want to leave. It is very run down. But aside from that, the people there are very kind and I've never had bad service there. It's best if ordered to go.