“Positive Reviews Must be FAKE. Worst accommodations ever.”
Review of McBee Cottages

Ranked #6 of 17 Cannon Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 March 2014

For a living, I own vacation rentals so I am familiar with the industry, where mistakes may sometimes be made, and where, as a customer, I should offer some grace. This is not one of those times. I purchased a groupon and scheduled time with my Mom at the cottages for my 40th birthday. It is her favorite town, and I wanted to avoid the big 4-0 fanfare, ha ha.
What was disappointing about our stay:
Very musty smelling cottage
Long human hair on pull out mattress, which was like a prison mattress
Eyelashes on the pillows
Silverware in drawers were filthy, as they allow customers to save $10 by 'washing' the provided silverware. Yuck.
Coffee Splatter and other goo on walls
Cigarette burn in the only thin blanket provided
Despite having fireplace and small cadet heater, we both froze all night. I am used to sleeping with windows open year round and am NOT a sissy, but it was freezing! No extra blankets available.

The next morning (our only full day to enjoy the beautiful town) was spent by:
Stretching and trying to realign my spine after such a horrid night's rest
Popping 4 advil and drinking a pot of coffee, all to try to wake up and not feel so sore
Calling the front desk to notify of my awful night
Speaking with the manager who offered to move us to a nicer place
Packing up all of our stuff
Driving to the rental office that is not on site to get keys to new place, Sammy, the desk person, was not apologetic at all.
Driving to new location
Unloading car, only to find that the mattress was so worn out, with springs pushing through, that I almost began crying, but didn't.
Loading the car back up, driving back to the rental office to return keys and say Thanks but no Thanks. Person behind the desk didn't offer a refund of taxes paid or any other sort of compassion.

How this destroyed our trip:

Half of the day was eaten up by the time I found a place for us to stay (Surf Sand Resort, AMAZING)
My Mom and I were too exhausted and sore to enjoy our time there.
I had to spend an extra $150 on lodging that I did NOT anticipate
The room we found at Surf Sand that was affordable did not accommodate 3 guests, so my friend who was going to meet us there was unable to celebrate my birthday with us.

I tried to at least get a refund through Groupon and they offered me an $80 Groupon credit. At this point, a full refund won't ever capture the memorable 40th birthday I was trying to have. But a $80 groupon credit added insult to injury and I am left no choice but to share my experience in the hopes of saving others from the awful time that was had.

Room Tip: I was told our cottage (28) was their best unit. This leads me to believe there are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mist C
CBHotelGuestSvcs, Owner at McBee Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write and I appreciate your effort to explain what happened during your stay. I am deeply disappointed, as you are, in your experience. This is not the kind of stay we routinely provide our guests, nor is it the feedback we are used to hearing. I am always alerted after any early departure, but the Front Desk was very unclear about the actual problem and why you left. Sami indicated you were not happy at check-out, but explained that you did not share the problems. Sami was very concerned, but because of your very obvious upset she did not try to ask too many questions. She is one of our must popular Front Desk agents. We could not be more troubled by the issues that you have now shared and this experience on your birthday is unfortunate, we usually place a gift in the room for those who are celebrating. It is our policy when something like this happens that the room is inspected immediately by a housekeeping manager. She was unable to find any problems or issues. We find your comments very troubling, the mattress was brand new in the first room you occupied. Our rooms are checked carefully by a housekeeping manager after it is cleaned, quality control is key and essential to us, and we are more than happy to correct any issues that displease a guest during their stay. Apparently we missed the opportunity to make your experience everything that you could have hoped for on your birthday, and for that we deeply apologize.
Owner

Reviewed 17 March 2014

One year later (the exact same weekend) and we just returned from a great weekend at the McBee Cottages. I feel like my last review was read, and I really appreciate that.

Like I said before in my previous review, I thought the McBee Cottages were almost there, but this stay made me feel like they are really trying hard to improve this property.

We stayed in the exact same room as last year. This location cannot be beat. McBee is a great place to stay with your dog.

The problem of hearing the knocking pipes from the neighbor in room #29 didn't happen this time. The dirty grout around the base of the toilet last year was gone when we arrived for this stay and you could see where they had resealed the base with a clear silicone, it looked nice. The grass in the dog potty area was cut and they have also added a dog pickup station with bags and a waste basket - they were also in the middle of landscaping with fresh topsoil delivered onsite. The wifi has improved greatly!

Overall, I will continue to stay at the McBee Cottages on our annual visit to Cannon Beach, and I have recommended this location to several friends already. I feel the management is making great strides to improve this property, but it's pretty great already.

I would recommend this location to anyone. Thank you, McBee, for listening to your reviews and taking them to heart. You have done a great job!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
CBHotelGuestSvcs, Owner at McBee Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Guest,
I was absolutely delighted to read your very kind words following your recent stay with us at the McBee Cottages. I must also thank you for your kind words about the "great job we are doing". It is my team who make this hotel great. I have passed on your feedback to all the team here and please do visit us again soon.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I bought a LivingSocial deal for my Mum for Christmas to the McBee Cottages and we used it this weekend. We fell in love with Cannon Beach - it is a beautiful, little seaside town and there is miles to walk on the beach.

The cottages are very similar to the pictures on here and on the website. We stayed in Cottage 30 and were pleasantly surprised by the use of space and the fact that it actually was ONE block from beach access (they do not have a ocean view though). The cottage was small, but cozy and we made good use of the fire in the winter weather. Added bonus, they are pet-friendly (for $15 a stay)! They greet your pet with a Woof Amenity bucket, which was cute - the only sad part was that it wasn't addressed for my dog (who's name they had asked for on booking). It included a bone, towel, blanket, doggy bags, and a dish. Be warned though, while Cannon Beach itself is dog-friendly, most restaurants do not let dogs inside, so if you want to eat with your furry baby (and McBee has a policy that you are not allowed to leave your pet unattended in the rooms), you have to eat on the decks - which can be cold in the winter!

Pros:
-Close to the beach.
-Cute, cozy cottages
-Pet-friendly and greeted with a bucket of doggy fun.

Cons:
-Our cottage wasn't ADA suitable - shower is about half a foot off the ground and is very small.
-Front desk girl was informative, but brisk - she acted as though she was too busy to answer our questions.
-The regular price is very expensive, especially for the winter and the lack of services offered (no housekeeping after 2pm, no desk service after 10pm, requirement to clean up after yourself).
-Cottages and garden are very close to the road - there is a hedge, but maybe an added trellis/hedge would help to make the property feel more private - we felt that we wouldn't be comfortable using the fire pit in the summer, due to the closeness of the road and the lack of privacy.

Overall, the cottages are very cute and quaint, pet-friendly, and close to the beach. However, due to the price, we probably would not stay at the McBee Cottages again unless we got another deal - $159 a night to stay by the beach is a little too expensive for what's offered.

Room Tip: Room 30 is a good-sized room for two people, but any more would be cramped.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you so much for your feedback following your recent stay with us at McBee Cottages. I was delighted to read that you and your Mum enjoyed your stay and I have passed on your kind words to my team here at the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to us again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I chose McBee Cottages on a lark. We love Cannon Beach due to it's quaint and quiet nature. The shops are fun, the food is delicious, and the people are Oregon-friendly. When we saw McBee Cottages on the Expedia, we knew we had to try it. We were not disappointed. In fact, when we returned home from our first stay there, we immediately booked another weekend 30 days later.

The rooms themselves boast comfy beds, nice bathrooms, pretty hardwood floors and generous space. I was charmed by the little gas stove in the corner of the room. There was something so appropriate about having a flickering fire heating up the cottage while the cool ocean wind rustled the trees and plants outside our windows.

The staff were attentive and friendly. On our second trip, the remote for the tv was not working. After talking with the staff the problem was quickly and politely solved.

On top of all the wonderful features McBee possesses, they are pet-friendly. They even had a food tray, dog blanket, milk bone, and a personalized welcome message for our dog.

After only two weekends, I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Cannon Beach.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
I am so pleased to hear that your experience of the McBee Cottages was fabulous, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I was glad that we met your expectations. Your comments were shared with our team. We value you as a guest and we truly hope to host you again.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed at McBee for just one night for a quick beach getaway with the pooch. It was a great spot! The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. There was a nice little doggy bucket with towels, bowl and treat on arrival and a nice outdoor yard area for doing dog business. The kitchen was perfect for making a little cheese snack plate and a light breakfast, though cooking a full meal might be a stretch. The fireplace was great, warmed the room right up as it was a chilly weekend. The bed was very comfy as well. The bathroom was good, but the shower is a bit small, my boyfriend was a bit cramped in it, and it was chilly in there especially the floor! I would have loved some radiant floor heat.

The location is PERFECT! One leisurely block to the beach and you are right at Haystack rock. Also close enough to walk to shops downtown. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
CBHotelGuestSvcs, General Manager at McBee Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Wiscogirl80,
We're so glad to hear that you had a "perfect beach getaway". Thank you for posting a review of your experience and for mentioning our pet-friendly amenities. Pets are an important part of our mission at the McBee! I one hundred percent agree, radiant floor heating at the McBee would be wonderful! Unfortunately the age of the property (built 1927) does the limit the scope of what's available and we will hope to impress with other features. We will continue to dream though and make all updates possible. Thank you again for your feedback and for being our guest, we look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Literally only a block from the beach, down a small street! Very clean inside, a bit small for three adults. Includes a miniature fridge and well equipped kitchen. Fridge kept freezing things even on lowest setting though. (Maybe there was supposed to be a door on the freezer?) Note for families with small children: Our unit (29) only had a shower, no bathtub. Luckily our three-year-old was up for it though! Room was very quiet, felt private. Wish there were a few more blankets but they probably would have given them had we asked. Incredible value for the price though! Their three-night-special was great!

Room Tip: Some units have a full size fridge, so ask about that if it's important.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Dan S,
Thank you for bringing the family to stay with us at the McBee! We're so glad you enjoyed the room and proximity to the beach. We are considering your feedback about the room carefully and truly appreciate the time taken to leave a review and share information with the travel community. You are correct, certain rooms at the McBee have larger refrigerators, although only one room (#28) has a bathtub. As a historic property from 1927, we did have some limitations when remodeling, but we are so glad your little one could make it work. Please do come stay with us again, and we'll have plenty of blankets available! All the best to you and the family, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Don't be deceived by the exterior of this building, which looks a bit like a 1950's era roadside motel with bright blue shingles. The "cottages" are completely renovated and very nice inside. A short walk to the beach, and a personalized welcome is provided for your dog. Our Golden Retriever loved it, especially the beach (which was practically deserted because of the unseasonably cold, 30 degree weather).

I just have a couple of comments: the first is that we made these reservations several months ago through Travelzoo. None of the correspondence received from McBee Cottages told us that we needed to bring our Travelzoo voucher with us (I did bring our reservation confirmation), so we were surprised to find out it was necessary. I had to go online and spend considerable time combing through old e-mails to find and print the voucher; which is not how I'd planned to spend my first afternoon in Cannon Beach.

Second, I have a minor concern about the need to leave the kitchen "as you found it". As I was washing and drying the cups, glasses and plates we had used during our stay, I wondered if the person who'd used these cups and plates before me had been similarly careful about washing up. I would be more comfortable if I'd known the hotel staff took care of this detail, even if it means charging a few dollars more for the room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
CBHotelGuestSvcs, General Manager at McBee Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear azzure,
Thank you for posting a review of your experience at McBee Cottages. We're so glad you enjoyed the room and that your furry friend enjoyed the Woof Woof Pet Amenities Bucket! Cannon Beach is a doggy kind of town! I do apologize for the inconvenience and confusion about the voucher, we are required to ask for them. Please let us know if we may look forward to hosting you both and the retriever again, I would love to personally ensure you have a hassle free experience!