“We enjoyed it.....for the most part.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hearthstone Inn

Ranked #8 of 18 Cannon Beach B&B and Inns
Port Orchard, Washington
“We enjoyed it.....for the most part.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We loved the cabin feel of the room and the real wood burning fireplace.

We also liked the location. It was just a few short blocks to the beach and a short drive to cute shops and restaurants.

It is one if four properties that all look like they offer something worth staying for.

I wish that my review could end there....however there was one glaring issue with my stay that I will mention in the spirit of constructive criticizm.

The first night that we got there after driving several hours and being exhausted because I also worked all day we got to our room and found dog hair on and throughout the entire bed.

I was not one tiny bit impressed with the way the issue was handled. The girl at the front desk was nice and apologetic. But since there is only one front desk for all for properties I had to drag my weary body to the other hotel to get new bedding. My son then found a bug on the new blanket they gave us so our first night was rather cold sleeping with only a sheet.

The girl at the desk made several comments along the line of how they would "make it right in the morning." Then when I came in the next day to buy extra wood for my fireplace she greeted me with "what is it today?" as though she felt I was just trying to complain which is actually the opposite of true because at the time I never even mentioned the bug that we found.

The day we checked out I did see a housekeeper who was very nice and apologetic about the situation which I did appreciate.

I was honestly more disappointed in how the issue was handled than the fact that it happened. I Mean, don't get me wrong, the dog hair and the bug were not at all satisfactory but if the situation were handled differently it could have made all the difference.

Aside from that we did enjoy our stay and might consider one of their properties again in the future in hopes this was an isolated incident and not the status quo.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Hannah R
CBHotelGuestSvcs, Owner at Hearthstone Inn, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you so much for your feedback following your recent visit to the Hearthstone Inn. I was quite sorry to read about what happened during your stay with us. I've spoken to our Front Desk and housekeeping staff regarding your experience. This is not the normal level of hospitality that our staff aspires to and it is certainly one that is embarrassing. We do hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with the experience you deserve and expect in the near future.
Sincerest regards,
Owner/ General Manager

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

We had a budget but wanted something cozier than a hotel. Hearthstone was a great price compromise and exceeded my expectations. We stayed in 27, and the room was really quaint but comfortable. We loved being able to build fires and the best was definitely comfortable. Not a good choice if you're looking for a view or lots of natural light, but definitely a great pick for cozy evenings.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kdrennan
CBHotelGuestSvcs, Owner at Hearthstone Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest,
I was delighted to read your review following your recent stay in room No. 27 at the Hearthstone Inn. I was glad that we met your expectations and found the service and hotel facilities to your liking, not to mention our great price! Please do come and visit us again soon.
Sincerest regards,
Owner/ General Manager
Medford, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

If you read all of the reviews most of the negative and poor reviews are from people that only have posted one or two reviews ever, I usually heavily discount these. When I read reviews prior to my stay I was a bit skeptical. Someone else had arranged this location for our reunion.

I was pleasantly surprised, I had #24, spacious and very clean. The room was well appointed and for how they market and describe the room it was spot on. There was no odor and no evidence of any pet being there :-). The room I stayed in had a rather small bathroom, but as a solo traveler no worries.

I was able to also look at the rear unit, not sure the # but same, same, only smaller.

Pros:
Clean
Great Location, one block to the beach, three blocks to a small store, 3 blocks to a restaurant
Full kitchen, stove, oven, microwave, small refrigerator and cookware
Keurig coffee maker

Cons:
Parking, small lot and only a few spaces, no street parking so you may have to park across the street at another one of their properties.
The flooring is showings its age, but was serviceable

I thought it was a good value and really met our needs. We did stay mid week and in the off season. Not a place my wife and I would find romantic and cozy, but all in all good.

Room Tip: It is on a main street, maybe ask for the rear or the side street rooms
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank David L
CBHotelGuestSvcs, General Manager at Hearthstone Inn, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear David L,
Thank you for your kind review of Hearthstone Inn! We are grateful to have you as our guest and so glad to read that you enjoyed your experience. As a one-of-a-kind Inn in Cannon Beach, the Hearthstone has some unique features and we appreciate your detailed description of the room and property. We love to hear that guests are satisfied with the value they receive and we find your feedback about parking very helpful. Please let us know if we may welcome you back when you are next in Cannon Beach, perhaps you would like to try our one of our other inns as well?
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Where to start.....due to snow and bad weather the previous weekend, we were unable to stay as planned. So because the staff is AWESOME (and a cancellation) we were able to stay at the Hearthstone Inn on Valentin's Day weekend. We were blown away!!! The room has a very warm comfy lodge feel and they even personalized their doggie bucket with a note to my wife's retired greyhound. Kitchen area, coffee, fireplace, log to burn, comfy bed, plenty of hot water, free dvds to watch during the blustery weather Saturday night, on and on and on the list is!!! This is undoubtable the best bang for our buck we have ever experienced in all of our years of staying at the coast!! We had all of our expectations exceeded one hundred fold!!! Thanks you!!!

2 Thank Scot W
CBHotelGuestSvcs, General Manager at Hearthstone Inn, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Scot W,
We are so glad you were able to make the trip out to stay with us after all, and that you could spend Valentine's weekend in Cannon Beach! Thank you for your thoughtful and descriptive review. We love reading that you enjoyed the "comfy lodge feel" as we designed the building with this hope in mind. It's also wonderful to know that we exceeded your expectations, we will do our best so that you always remain "blown away" when you stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Aloha, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just stayed 2 nights in #24 at Hearthstone. Very nice....comfy bed (but only queen, not king), awesome fireplace, but we could only burn the wrapped logs. We had a small kitchen but perfect as we cooked one breakfast and one dinner. All dishes were provided. Ocean was only a couple blocks away and we were able to bring our pet. The only thing we wished was different was that we could burn real wood in that beautiful rock fireplace. It took us approximately 40 minutes to really get that wrapped log that was provided to really burn and still really didn't warm the room. But we would love to stay there again....thank you for the wonderful hospitality and the "Welcome" bucket for our pet!

Room Tip: #24 was on the side street so not as much traffic noise...very convenient.
1 Thank Robin31013
Dear Robin31013,
Thank you for the lovely review of your experience at the Hearthstone and for coming to stay for the holiday weekend. Your feedback means so much to us! We appreciate your mention of our close proximity to the beach and room amenities. Of course we wish that guests could enjoy their authentic smell of wood smoke from their beach rock fireplace, but for the safety of our guests and building, I'm afraid the logs will have to substitute. I'm so sorry yours did not burn easily! This is not typically the case and we will be glad to make it up to you if we may have the pleasure of hosting your next trip to the beach. It truly is a pleasure to hear from you and we hope to see you again soon.
Puyallup, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

If you're looking for pet-friendly, somewhat rustic accommodations (cabin-like) with a comfy four poster bed, kitchenette (oven, stove top, microwave, small refrigerator/freezer), fireplace, etc. that's within walking distance of everything in a picturesque Pacific Coast beach town... then you've found it! We've stayed at several Cannon Beach Hotel Lodgings properties and have always been extremely happy. Be sure to communicate expectations first – from upscale romantic to casual beach chic they will be exceeded. The Hearthstone Inn itself is perfect for a pet-friendly, casual getaway. It’s 2 blocks to the beach, 4 blocks south to Sleepy Monk Coffee (awesome!) and/or Haystack Rock, and only 8 blocks north to the heart of downtown. Already looking forward to returning =) PS eat at least once at Castaway's Tiki Hut (separate review).

1 Thank Shawn_and_Lana
Dear livelaughlovemore,
First, thank you for being such a loyal guest to our little family of inns! Nothing makes us happier than when our guests leave with a desire to return. It sounds like you understand the true spirit of the Hearthstone! We appreciate the lovely description of our amenities and convenient location. As you mention, we have do many types of rooms available and we will always work hard to exceed your expectations! We appreciate the time taken to post a such a kind review of your experience and we very much look forward to your next trip out. Take care, we'll see you soon!
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

We just spent 2 nights there. Rained much of the time we were there, so that did not help.

Room was big which was nice. They did have a kitchen. Coffee maker was not that great, one cup at a time and really not that good. We had brought coffee and used their pan to make coffee. if we go again will bring a small coffee pot.

Frig was mini, with small freezer area. We had to go across street to get ice cubes.

Their description of kitchen was accurate

Our door was on street, someone walked by 11 or so and knocked on door. wife did not sleep well after that

Frigesuotn

Room Tip: Try not to get rm 24
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear phirl,
Thank you for being our guest and for posting a review of your experience, your feedback is so important. We're glad you enjoyed the spaciousness of the room, the vaulted ceilings are a guest favorite. I'm so sorry to hear that you were disturbed at night, the Hearthstone only has four rooms and a guest may have been confused. I do regret that you did not enjoy the new Keurig machines we placed in the Hearthstone, please let us know next time and we will bring a drip machine right over. We hope to see you again in the future and would appreciate the opportunity to show you the service you deserve.