“90% happy with my stay!”
Review of The Waves

The Waves
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Reviewed 25 August 2008

I just returned from the WAVES--my third stay over 5 years.

They have done a complete remodel since the first time I stayed there. Cherry cabinets and Granite in the kitchenette, black appliances- brand new sink and tile in the bathrooms--very nice.

Not an extreme amount of kitchen supplies, but I don't plan to cook entire meals there.

Great fireplace.

My only comment is the sheets could be nicer.
True--they never vacuumed my room the entire time
I was there, but that did not bother me so much.

What I love about the room is the corner eating area. It is a corner of windows that open up to the beach--all the sounds and smells fill your room. I never use the deck because that corner is so wonderful.

I sat there most of the time--very comfy chairs--sat and read and watched the gulls and the waves. Great view of Ecola state park.

Second favorite thing? the room is built in such a way that it
has 5 skylight windows.--hard to explain but added so much natural light --and that includes the bathroom!

I will say--it is just me in the room. I can understand that it would be crowded with more people. I have stayed in another style that had a small room(almost like a closet with a window..but very cute) with a twin bed and that worked wonderful for 2 of us.

For the price--I would choose it every time!
I stayed at "surf club" down the beach one year...paid 350.00 bucks a night for a beach front with balcony--had to stand up to see the water--never again!

My one surprise is that they don't have very significant locks on the door. just the turn knob handle. I have not had any problems, but I would feel safer with a deadbolt:)

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,451)

Reviewed 5 August 2008

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Waves. This was one of the last places I called because of the previous comments about the staff and size of the rooms but they were able to accomodate us at the last minute. We were very pleasantly surprised to find a clean good-sized room with a fantastic view. We enjoyed the proximity to both the beach and the town and spent a lot of time on the deck. We went to sleep and woke up each morning to the sound of the surf. We also felt that the cost was quite reasonable for the value of the property.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2008

The website states: "You will always find great customer service with our dedicated staff".

I don't think so.

I called the reservation desk 4 times to make sure it wasn't just me...or just one employee having a bad day. I ended up speaking with 3 different staffers and had elevated blood pressure at the end of each call.

Problems:
(1) They overruled a policy written on their website, calling it a "typo". Sorry, folks, but a typo is when your hand slips on the keyboard not when you decide a policy isn't in your financial interest. Looks like they've since updated the website, I'll give them that. No thanks to me for pointing it out, I might add, in fact I only got grief.
(2) Staff have no concept of phone personality or customer service. Gruff, indifferent, unsympathetic, bitter, [--] impatient are adjectives I'd use to describe the different persons to whom I spoke.
(3) An email response from staff including the sentence, "In regards to the rest of your comments, keep them to yourself." is just plain rude.
(4) Don't bother taking it up with management because they don't care either. Management's excuse, "I didn't hear the conversation" or "I don't know of any other complaints", doesn't cut it. The point is, when a customer is offended by staff to such a degree that they cancel a reservation, well then management should care. By the way, "What do you want me to do?" shouldn't come out of a manager's mouth; he/she should know that an apology is always warranted.

I don't reward such behaviour with a booking, and I didn't in this case.

I recommend you find another place to stay in Cannon Beach and send management a clear message.

12  Thank RespectOthers
Reviewed 14 April 2008

Warm weather was forecasted for the weekend so we made arrangements to spend Saturday night at the beach. Many properties in town require a two night stay, but a call on Thursday secured us a place for one night only with a little effort. We have stayed at the Surfsand Resort in the past and enjoyed the large renovated rooms and extra large bathrooms. Our room in the Lacolina building was average size, but the bathrooms were quite small. Once we opened the blinds we were very happy with the view and the ease of walking out our door to the beach. We also enjoyed being in the heart of town for shopping and dining ease. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2008

This was our second stay at The Waves, the first being in Feb. of 2003. The Waves runs several properties but we've only stayed in the Flagship Studios.
We love this place! The studios are uniquely positioned: at an angle to the beach so that every unit has a 180 degree view and a private deck. The facilities are so cozy and comfortable. It was heavenly to sit in an easy chair by the fire and look out at the waves. The units have been recently remodeled with great kitchens and bathrooms. This time we lucked out and got room 409 which has an extra little nook with a twin bed that has its own windows looking up and down the beach. This would be a great room if traveling with a child or grandchild.
Comfortable beds, well appointed kitchens, gas fireplaces, free WIFI Internet access, roomy spaces, beautiful decor and an ocean-front view and beach access make this a great place to stay. The rates are reasonable, especially in the winter, and it's so close to the center of Cannon Beach.
Unfortunately Haystack Rock isn't visible from here (it's around the point) but we enjoyed the views north of the rocks off Ecola Point and Tillamook Lighthouse. And the sunsets are gorgeous from our room.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eket54
Reviewed 26 July 2007

Just returned from a five night stay at The Waves Inn in Cannon Beach. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and are already planning next summer's visit there. The suite we rented had an impressive ocean front view and was less than two minutes from all the shops and restaurants. It was well maintained, up-to-date, comfortable, and maybe even a little upscale. There were five of us (we have three kids) but we all slept comfortably and there was plenty of room for all our stuff. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. We just could not have hoped for a better visit! Next time, we'll stay for a full week.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank radder
Reviewed 18 March 2007

What a great stay at the Waves Motel in Cannon Beach, it has been about 4 years since our last visit and really enjoyed some of the changes.

Once again we stayed at the Waves Motel. While still very active in our 60's we can park the car and never touch it the entire week...set in the 'village' just steps from shops, restaurants, etc. and right on the beach at the mouth of the creek it couldn't be better located. Rooms are clean, recently updated...I do miss the wood fireplaces which now seem to all be gas...but the comfort is the same I guess. The staff was great, but not overbearing or pushy...you can tell it's locally owned and operated...we received the benefit of that when the office manager (I think she was the owner) called and helped us get into the great new cooking school/restaurant called EVOO which is just down the street from the Waves.

It might be another 4 years before we are back in Cannon Beach but will once again stay at the Waves Motel.

Stayed: March 2007