“The best dining experience ever!!!”

Stephanie Inn Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Stephanie Inn Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 51 Restaurants in Cannon Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Dinner at the Stephanie Inn is a must for both hotel guests and visitors to Cannon Beach. The concept is casually sophisticated with your choice of an elegant prix fixe four course meal or a la carte options. Plan to enjoy the entirety of the evening, or choose the part that fits your style. Just know you may never forgive yourselves for passing on the desserts. The romantic, intimate environment, sets the stage for a memorable experience you won't soon forget. The menu changes weekly and seating is by reservation only.
Reviewed 15 February 2010

My husband and I spent the weekend in Cannon Beach to celebrate our 43rd wedding anniversary. We wanted to have a special romantic dinner and we couldn’t have made a better selection.

We opted for the second seating at 8:30 p.m. and were impressed when the doors opened and we saw the rustic, yet elegant dining room. Yes, it does overlook the parking lot at the Inn, but it was dark outside so it really didn’t matter which way it faced, as the room itself had great warmth and character.

Dinner at the Stephanie Inn is a four course fixed menu. Because of my limited diet, seafood and fish being the only meat I eat, I called the restaurant a few days in advance to find out what the menu included. They will happily accommodate any special dietary needs. The first course was an excellent butternut squash risotto and the second course was a celery root soup. I anticipated a bland soup, after all, celery doesn’t have much flavor, but it was surprisingly flavorful. The entrée choices were beef, pork, or sturgeon. My husband chose the pork with brown sugar glaze and vegetables, including sweet potatoes. It was prepared perfectly and was moist and tender. I chose the sturgeon, which I had never eaten before. It was served with an herb lemon sauce that was velvety and delicious. The final course was a chocolate mouse which was far superior to any mouse I have eaten. My husband commented after dinner that he felt this was our best dining experience ever. I might add that we are world travelers and have eaten at some of the finest restaurants.

When I made dinner reservations, I was not asked where we were staying and during dinner the waiter told us that they have never required that you are a guest in their Inn to eat dinner there. I’m not sure why a previous reviewer was told that they only accommodate their guests, which was unfortunate to have missed out on this wonderful experience due to misinformation.

Although expensive, as the dinner is $59.00 per person and with 2 drinks each and tip our total was $190.00, it was well worth it and we look forward to another dinner at the Stephanie Inn.

2  Thank 1seattlegirl

Reviewed 18 October 2009

Having trouble finding a good place to eat in Cannon Beach. Called Stephanie Inn, was informed that they didn't serve people who weren't guests. Why have a restaurant teservation number on the website? Best to inform the public of this before we waste our time.

Reviewed 14 May 2009

My wife and I don't eat at expensive places often, but decided to give the Inn's restaurant a try while we stayed there. We both thought the food was great, really quite special. The service was great, but if you are expecting or want a snooty place, this isn't it. The dinning room is fairly small and does face the parking lot, but it is a perfectly pleasant place. They do a 4 course dinner with 2 entrée options, for $59 a person. We were glad we ate there.
If you stay at the Inn, they also have a free breakfast every morning that is great.

Reviewed 7 April 2008

I wished that I had read the one review of the dining room at the Stephanie Inn before my husband and I made a dinner reservation. I couldn't believe that the dining room had a PARKING LOT VIEW when the property was located on the beach! I honestly would have complained less about my food had I been able to enjoy sunset views over the Pacific. During dinner, we left our table for 10 minutes to enjoy the sunset from the sitting room off of the lobby.

Truth be told, my husband and I are foodies who hail from an area that excels in quality local, organic cuisine. I apologize in advance for sounding snobby, but I do have a high standard for food when the establishment touts its excellence. And it is not impossible to earn my highest rating. Our New Year's dinner at Portland's Fenouil was superb, and it did not cost much more than the meal at the Stephanie Inn.

I was encouraged when the chef described each ingredient as being the freshest possible: "the greens were picked earlier today on a farm in..." Unfortunately, the meal ended up being "nice wedding food". I use that description because I would be perfectly happy with the meal had it been served at someone's wedding reception. The focus of the event would be on the celebration, not the meal. Alas, without the spectacular view enjoyed by the opposite side of the inn, it does come down to the food.

The bread had the flavor and texture of WonderBread made with onion powder. My husband's entree was a cut of beef (NY Strip? I don't recall) that was the most tasteless beef I have ever eaten. It was so lacking in flavor that it could have been a hybrid of pork loin and chicken. However, the sauce--a reduction--served with the beef was nice.

My entree was sturgeon and I would say it was the best choice that evening. The roasted vegetables had the perfect amount of sweetness. The fish was cooked to death. It definitely needed its creamy sauce (tasty) to make it palatable.

The dessert was more similar to a kids'-restaurant "super sugar chocolate death" than to quality cuisine--very overdone. It was a flourless chocolate cake with ganache, caramel sauce, toffee, and raspberry sauce. Too many sweet toppings! We ordered the sauces on the side, save for the raspberry sauce. The ganache was still too sweet, but at least we didn't have to contend with the added caramel and toffee. The toffee on its own was delicious. The toffee and caramel would have been better on a more vanilla-flavored dessert.

The staff was quite pleasant and attentive. However, the food was more suited to a super-touristy spot WITH A VIEW like Toronto's CN Tower. Even then, I was happier with my meal at the CN Tower! I won't be back.

5  Thank pdxtiger
Reviewed 18 July 2007

Excellence and ambience beginning to end
We stayed at the Stephanie Inn for our 20th anniversary in mid-July. Since its dining room offers limited seating, we booked dinner reservations there at the same time we booked our room (see my review elsewhere on the hotel itself), as recommended by their web site. The restaurant offers a four-course, fixed price menu, which might be loosely described as salad, soup, entree (select from two choices), and dessert. There are two seatings at 6 and 8:30; we chose the latter. We managed to book a two-night stay during peak season, mid-July, only two days before check-in (we chalked our luck up to our selected dates being mid-week). The hotel knew about the expected menu in advance, so we based our dinner reservation date, the second evening, on the quoted menu. When we arrived for check-in, the menus for that evening and the next were posted in the lobby, and we discovered that the entree for the night we had selected had already changed. Thankfully, on the spot at the front desk, we were able to move our dinner reservation up one night to that very evening.

The hotel itself has clearly earmarked itself as a destination for adult travelers; it does not allow smoking, pets, or children under 12. We confirmed that, even though the restaurant itself welcomes diners who are not hotel guests, it abides by the same over-12 policy.

Although the restaurant has a refined air about it, dress is semi-casual, of which we were thankful because we had only brought jeans and shorts with us to the beach. According to the hostess, some opt for jackets and ties; many others jeans and tennis shoes. We saw slacks, capris, Hawaiian shirts; no shorts or sandals, but we were confident that those would be welcome and not seem out of place at all. After all, you *are* at the beach.

The dining room itself is in the center of the second floor of this three-floor establishment. It faces the west, or hillside (and the parking lot, although not much of that can be seen); even though the hotel is right on the beach, there is no ocean view. But that in no way detracts from the ambience, which has an "elegant country inn" feel. The staff is extremely friendly, the table linens pressed, silverware arranged on three sides. Cloth napkins, wine glasses; the whole table is a work of art. The night we dined, only six tables (out of probably ten) were occupied, with couples only, each seated near the window. There were two servers who managed to provide the room with timely and effective service, helping with wine selections, taking pictures of the couples when asked and generally tending to every need. None of our drinks ever fell below one-half glass, one of our key criteria for measuring attentiveness. One even prepared our table for dessert by scraping our table linen of crumbs after we had finished our entree.

The reservation clerk had asked me at the time of booking whether there were any food constraints among the guests (allergies, religious, etc.) so that the kitchen could be alerted and alternatives provided. We had confirmed one of us had a specific allergy. Once we were seated, without being prompted, the server walked through the menu and confirmed each of our food options were free of the ingredient. We felt the fact that they both took the time to ask and then followed through two days later showed an extra measure of service.

A light hors d’œuvre was waiting for us upon our arrival at the table. It had a fancy name, but I abashedly (and with all apologies to the chef) recall it as duck and cherry on a cracker. It was *fabulous*. Our server assisted me with a great wine selection (my wife does not drink) and, after uncorking the wine, brought out the first course: wild mushroom risotto, also delicious. The sous chef came out to describe for the group the dishes for the evening and their preparation, then we made our entree choices.

Each course was served to all tables more or less simultaneously, one entree at a time. Another reviewer has speculated elsewhere that this method of serving could be slow with a higher-capacity room, but we noticed that some tables that completed their courses more rapidly continued to move ahead in their courses, so that experience seems inconsistent with ours. We would also expect that the restaurant would be obliged to schedule additional servers to accommodate a larger scheduled crowd.

Although we are partial to the creamy New England style of chowder, the Manhattan seafood chowder was some of the best we have ever had. The beef tenderloins were exactly that, *extremely* tender. The right-sized portion of accompanying vegetables were cooked perfectly. The meal culminated with an absolutely heavenly chocolate decadence cake with white chocolate curl, toffee wedge and wild berries alongside, which more than satisfied our sweet teeth and, along with after-dinner coffee, really hit the spot.

While we were finishing our dessert, the sous chef returned and this time visited each table individually to receive feedback on our dinner. We complemented him, the chef and the kitchen staff on a wonderful meal.

The bill arrived; dinner for two: $98. The bottle of wine and tip (no sales tax in Oregon) brought the final total to a little over $150, which we felt was well worth it.

This place is about warm ambience and excellence in quality of both food and service. It was a wonderful way to spend a special anniversary meal and nearly at the top of our 20-year list. We would return in a heartbeat; we felt extremely pampered and highly recommend Stephanie Inn for those who wish to feel the same.

10  Thank godscreation