“Great location”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Cannon Beach
Stamford CT
“Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Great location, right on the beach, but walking distance to a variety of restaurants and shops, including the Tuesday afternoon farmer’s market. King-bedded beachfront room – well furnished clean and comfortable, with a great bed, balcony overlooking the beach, ocean, Haystack Rock. Room a little cramped when converted from queen- to king-size bed, but nothing serious. Ample seating and storage, spacious bathroom and convenient frig/microwave for morning coffee or a pre-dinner glass of wine. Friendly, helpful staff. Enjoyed the hot tub and swimming pool as well. Would return and recommend. Did take a peak at one of the one-bedroom units on the floor below; while the extra space is nice if you’re traveling with a family, only the living area has a view; the bedroom windows open to the outside hallway at the back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
SUManager, General Manager at Surfsand Resort, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Surfsand Resort. We have a large variety of rooms that accommodate most guest needs. Glad that you enjoyed the pool and hot tub.

Hope to see you soon,
Jerry W. Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Corvallis, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights for my husband's work conference. I was very impressed with everything, from the cleanliness of the rooms, to the size, the view and the courtesy of the staff. Our room was listed as a partial view (3301) and maybe that's just because you had to look past the parking lot to see the beach, but it was still a fantastic view of the ocean and Haystack Rock.

I really appreciated all of the little customer service touches. My daughter was given a sand pail and shovel and animal crackers upon check-in. There is a DVD library from which you can borrow two titles at a time at no charge and they'll throw in a bag of microwave popcorn. Every afternoon at 3:30pm, fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies are available in the lobby and I was always encouraged to take more than one. Our room had a gas fireplace in the main room and a soaking tub in the bathroom and I made good use of both of these features.

The staff was extremely helpful and pleasant, the pool/spa area was nice, the location was fantastic. I just can't say enough good things about this place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
We will be replacing the furniture in that building late this spring even thought they are still in nice order. There is nothing quite like sitting and relaxing on the beach, Haystack Rock to the south, Ecola State park to the north.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I arrived at Surfsand not knowing what to expect. I always get alittle nervous going to new places on the beach, because I have my favorite places that I go- and I tend to stick to them. Once I arrived I was greeted by a friendly staff member, who immediatly wished me a happy Anniversary( I had put in comments that it was our Anniversary when I reserved the room), and given a list of all the ammenities the place had to offer. It was almost overwhelming because they have so many amazing ammenities. The one that stuck out in my mind was they will deliver movies to your room, from a huge list they had given me, so I didn't have to get wet if it was raining, or cold. I knew I would be using that serivce later:)
I was given directions to the retreat building, and drove over. I was nervous about not having a good view of the ocean. The room was listed as a partial view with a view of haystack rock. I have been burned by a "partial view " in the past at different hotels- but the trip advisor reviews said that it was actually a decent view, so I went for it. I was not disappointed. The view was awesome. It was room 4201. The room itself was fantastic as well. I walked in and was amazed how new and clean everything looked. It had a nice fireplace, with a flat screen ablove it, had a huge bed, a nice table and chair sitting area, and an ipod docking station. Now let me get started on my favorite part- THE BATHROOM!!!!!! It had a HUGE soaking tub. Very deep, and fit both me and my husband. It also had a dual headed shower that was seperate from the tub. It also had a small tv in the bathroom:) Which I didn't even turn on- but it was a cute touch. The room also came with extra pillows and and a fan:) I ended up using the fan, because the fireplace actually is quite hot! ANother awesome part about the room was the balcony. it had 2 chairs and a table, which I enjoyed:) There is also a pool and a hottub. If you have dogs this is also the place for you. They only charge 15 bucks per dog, and they set your room up with a doggie bed, and treats:) There were quite a few happy pet owners there:)
Over all I will always stay here when I go to Cannon, and if you stay in the retreat- room 4201 has fantastic view:)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
SUManager, General Manager at Surfsand Resort, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
We’re happy to hear you loved your room and all it’s amenities it has to offer! Glad you enjoyed the movie library we offer! Thank you for spending your anniversary with us!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Beaverton, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

My husband and I stayed for 1 night mid-October just to get away together and it was lovely. The prices are less expensive (and therefore more affordable for us) off season so that is when we try and go. They will also, sometimes, book single weekend nights off season. During high season you have to book multiple nights which makes it difficult for us to schedule with kid's sports and the like, and the higher prices tend be too much for us to justify.

The Surfsand is truly a resort (hence the prices). The description is actually very appropriate and it is why I haven't stay anywhere else at Cannon Beach in the past 15 years. You are literally staying at a property with lots of beach access right in front of the property and right off their deck, parking, beautiful, modern rooms, heated indoor pool & hot tub, nice restaurant and more. It is the more that really makes it special to me.

They really capitalize on the simple things that make us feel special and pampered. Hot cookies in the lobby, ice cream socials, activities for you to enjoy with your little ones, a FREE bottle of water in your room and special little treats, note, etc.

When we book a pet friendly room for our dog to come along, his name has been on a "Welcome" chalk board in the lobby. There are cruiser bikes you can reserve and then "borrow" to ride on the beach or around town. DVD's you can borrow and microwave popcorn to boot. A community bonfire on a weekend night you can join (probably weather permitting)... or you can even pay a rather nominal fee to have your own private fire on the beach with Smores and blankets and chairs brought out for you. No pre-trip planning required.... just amazing service.

Our most recent stay was in an ocean front room on the lower level. The window is basically deck level which doesn't afford a lot of privacy if you want to leave your blinds open, but it was perfect for us. Great views of the ocean.

We have also stayed in upper floor ocean front rooms & non-ocean front rooms in the building adjacent to the lobby, and those were lovely as well with nice views. I typically just choose the least expensive option available on the day I can finally get out of town. I have never been disappointed with any of our rooms - ocean front or not. I always get the same wonderful feeling of care and luxury regardless.

The indoor pool and hot tub is lovely - especially if you travel off season. I can relax and not worry if it will be raining or not. If it rains we can at least enjoy the pool.

The Surfsand is a lovely resort with lots of great features that they include in the cost of the room. I LOVE that once you are booked, they treat you like royalty rather than trying to further nickle and dime you to death with items like water set out in your room you have to pay for once you touch them. I always feel like they are glad I'm there and they want me to come back and that is why I keep coming back.

Room Tip: I haven't had a disappointing room at the Surfsand. Even the non-ocean front rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for all your wonderful comments about us! I’m glad you enjoyed all the fun things we have to offer you; ice cream, cookies and movies! We look forward to seeing you again!
Gratefully,
Campbell River, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

This was the last stop of our Honeymoon and the one stop we were going to spend a little extra for the night. We were so in love with the hotel within the first hour we went back to the lobby to book a second night right away. Our room wasn't available for the second night, but they were able to put us into a different room (upgraded) for the same rate, and we were never without a room! They offered to move us all over as well. Upon arrive at the hotel, the customer service was incredible. We mentioned it was our honeymoon and they quickly brought up a Gift for us after we were settled in our room! They were so nice! The view was incredible of Hay Stack and the beach. The room was very spacious, the balcony overlooked the beach, and there was a large jetted tub in the bathroom. The bed was the most comfortable we have ever slept on. There was a very nice pool, hottub, and fitness room, as well as many additional amenities available for guests (movie library and games). There was one man in particular as well that was GREAT! He did the turn downs of the beds at night, and helped with bags to our room and was working extra hours so we always saw him with his large smile on his face! Great customer service all around. Anything we needed or wanted they provided happily. We also had a fire on the beach set up by the hotel at a small fee, this was very nice too. WILL LOVE TO COME BACK IN THE FUTURE!

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the beach for sure! Don't forget about the fresh baked cookies after 330...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
We’re so happy you had such a great honeymoon stay with us! Thank you for the wonderful comments about the room you stayed in & I’m glad you enjoyed a beach bonfire during your stay! We look forward to seeing you for your next stay with us!
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed here a few days before Christmas. Lucked out on the weather but even had we not, the place is great. Staff was helpful and the room was impeccable. Saw several guests with dogs so I'm guessing they are very accommodating with pets.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your wonderful comments, and were so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very pet friendly, so next time bring your four legged friends!

Cheers,
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Just returned from a trip to Oregon and we spent the first 3 nights at the Surfsand Resort. I almost wish we had spent the entire time here! First, the location is amazing. Right on the beach at Haystack Rock with amazing views and a huge stretch of beach to walk on. We booked the basement room and at first we thought maybe we should have upgraded, but we got an amazing deal so we kept that room and I am happy we did. We had tons of space, a view, beautiful bathroom and even without a patio, we had quick access to the beach. Even in October we slept with the window open to hear the ocean and it was so nice at nighttime. The pool was great and being off season and no kids around, we had it to ourselves every night. Afternoon cookies were the best chocolate chip cookies ever and access to tea/milk made a great snack everyday. I really really want to come back here someday soon!

1 Thank smmcisaa
SUManager, General Manager at Surfsand Resort, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Sounds like you had a lovely three days staying with us! The cookies really are a wonderful thing! Next time enjoy a massage by our wonderful massage therapist on site! We look forward to your next visit with us!
Jerry W Martin