“Like staying with famiy in the country...”

R.R. Thompson House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 5 Carlton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Staying at this B&B was by far the best experience I have had at any B&B. They not only had delicious food, but they made sure to ask about allergies, and also made us a special birthday cake. They went over the top to make sure we were happy with our stay. The room was clean and spectacular! The location of the B&B is perfect for any wine tasting or fun getaway as it is in the middle of downtown Carlton. I will for sure make my way back to R.R. Thompson B&B and will make sure I recommended it to all my friends. What a wonderful place!

PS...the Brie Omelet is amazing!

Room Tip: The Rose Room was so exceptional.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 October 2011

We stayed at the R.R. Thompson B&B while traveling through Oregon on our honeymoon. The owners were very nice and accommodating.....they seemed like genuine people. We did think the cost of the room was a bit steep for what we got.......but we were on our honeymoon, so we didn't care too much. The bed was comfy, and the room and bathroom were extremely clean.

The only negative thing about this place is they don't give you a key to your room.....they seem to be on the honor system. Even though I was on my honeymoon, I took my laptop with me, and my new wife had her kindle. With a bunch of strangers staying in the house, we didn't feel comfortable leaving our electronics in the room while we went wine tasting. We have stayed in B&B's all over the country.....and this is the first time we've ever run into this. The weird thing was that there were locks on the doors.......

The breakfast was yummy and filling......the owners were able to accommodate our gluten free needs....so that was a huge plus. I would gladly stay here again and long as I can lock my door when we leave. I hope the owners read this review....b/c everything was fantastic besides that.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We had a wonderful time in Carlton. Our bedroom and bath was spacious and clean. Great country feel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

With the approach of our 5th wedding anniversary, my wife and I decide to indulge our love of wine and experience Oregon's famed Willamette Valley. After reviewing the various B&Bs discussed here on Trip Advisor, we opted to stay at the RR Thompson house in Carlton because of its proximity within the wine growing region, its recent renovation, and a nightly rate that was among the most competitive we could find. Having never stayed at a bed and breakfast before, we were a little skeptical of the idea of 'staying a stranger's house', but with few true hotel options in the area we decided to take the plunge.

Thankfully, our initial venture into the bed and breakfast world proved to be quite positive. For starters, we booked the Magnolia Room prior to our arrival. It was the least expensive room on the property, but seemed quite nice. This was confirmed upon arrival. It is located on the third floor of the house and has the feel of a European style hotel room. This is to say that it was decorated quite nicely, but definitely cozy in its size. However, given the small amount of time we planned to spend in the room, it was more than sufficient for our needs. But as luck would have it, we were the only guests staying at RR Thompson for the duration of our stay and the owner offered to let us stay in the Rose Suit at the same rate we were charged for the Magnolia Room! This is certainly not something they had to do and spoke volumes about the nature of owners.

Comparatively speaking, the Rose Suit was about three times the size of the Magnolia Room and comprised about half of the second floor of the property. To be sure, this was the home's signature offering and was every bit as spacious and lovely as the pictures shown on their website (www.rrthompsonhouse.com). Complete with satellite tv, a writing desk and chair, and two sitting areas, you really get the feel of what it must have been like to have been the house's original owners. With nighttime temperatures dipping into the lower 40s during our stay, the roomy became a bit colder than desired on our first night. But upon informing our hosts of this issue, they promptly added a space heater to the room that solved the problem. This was just one of numerous gestures from the owners aimed at making our stay as comfortable as possible.

Somewhat unsurprisingly for a house of its age, the bathroom in the Rose Suit was considerably smaller than the room itself as it had originally been a closet. As such, it's really more of a one-person bathroom setup. Knowing this to be the case, though, the owners have installed a separate sink and faucet just outside the bathroom entrance to provide some semblance dual access. All that said, the bathroom has been remodeled to include a very nice tiled shower and bath tub, pedestal sink, with a matching tile floor. Certainly more than enough to be comfortable, just a little less in size than would be implied by the scale of the bedroom. And like the rest of the house, it is kept impeccably clean at all times.

While this was our first B&B experience, I find it hard to believe that we could have found a place with a better breakfast. Done in a European style, the morning meal always included a fruit/cheese/ meat course along with the selection for the day. Coffee, tea, and juice were available in abundance along with freshly baked bread. Whether it was an omelet, crepes, or something in between, the food was fabulous and served as the perfect prelude to our days spent sipping the local vintages. As we were the only guests on the property, our hosts provided us with the morning menu the night prior and asked if we'd like to having something else or if we had any special requirements. I suspect this would have been the case had we not been alone, but it certainly made our stay all the more personal. In fact, upon learning that my wife and I were celebrating our anniversary, our hosts graciously baked us a wonderful cake to celebrate the occasion. Needless to say, we enjoyed snacking on their gift for the rest of our trip.

All in all, the RR Thompson house was all that we hoped it could be, while the owners were even more. Its location within the Willamette Valley is an ideal base from which to sample the region's wines and there are excellent dining options within a short walk of the property as well. I would recommend a stay here to anyone looking for a relaxing experience in a beautiful setting with caring, gracious hosts.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jhmorris2001
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My husband & I have stayed here at least once a year for the past 3 or 4 years and love it! When the husbands are golfing the girls make a day of it wine tasting, all within walking distance of the R.R. Thompson House. After our dinner at the Cuvee and music at the Horse Radish we can walk back for a good nights sleep and enjoy the wonderful breakfast in the morning. Always clean, always a friendly welcome from Mike & Roselyn and fresh flowers in our room from their garden in season. We look forward to many more visits.

Room Tip: The 2 rooms on the second floor are huge! The rooms on the 3rd floor are cozy, but very comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank arpens
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Close to the city, portland and mcminnville, great for wine tasting,close to everything.

Room Tip: the suites are great, the rooms too on a budget!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank heather8463
Reviewed 1 June 2011

My husband and I just stayed at this lovely B and B with my sister and her husband on our trek across Oregon and Washington....and it was simply perfect! We had only one night here as it was the base for our Willamette Valley wine tour, and managed to pick the best place to come "home" to after our long day. The location is the best, right in the midst of great wineries, and the hospitality and comfort here was fabulous. The rooms were spacious and well appointed, we had a nice central sitting room to have "together" time in, and the breakfast was delicious! Totally recommend it!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlton
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
La Bastide Bed & Breakfast
3rd Street Flats
3rd Street Flats
#1 of 2 in McMinnville

Been to R.R. Thompson House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!