“Very Disappointing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carlton
The Carlton Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Carlton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2011

After reading all of the wonderful reviews I must have stayed at a different place with the same name in Carlton,Oregon.The breakfast were excellent however all other aspects of this establishment were very disappointing and very ordinary.The rooms were sparsely furnished,the beds were never made,the towels never changed,the bed sagged and squeaked and worse of all was the handle broke off the jacuzzi tub.When informed Heidi said that it had
happened before and would take care of it. When we returned to our room later that night when asked,she told us she forgot and were forced to drive two hundred fifty miles without having showered in 24hours.We have stayed in many B and B's and would certainly not rate this one highly.Maybe if Heidi paid the same attention to her guests as her dog Jake our stay would have been significant better.The lack of a workable shower is unforgivable especially after being told this problem had happened before.

Room Tip: I can't possibly answer this question
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank peter f
Carltonner, Owner at The Carlton Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

I take great pride in the multitude of positive comments from guests who stay at The Carlton Inn B&B. Such comments are expressed personally while staying here as well as through writing in our guest book and posting reviews on TripAdvisor. For someone to be disappointed in their stay and not sharing that with me but instead posting a “poor” review on TripAdvisor is quite frustrating. Therefore, I’d like to respond and clarify a few points.

“the rooms were sparsely furnished” - our website shows pictures of each guestroom as well as the common areas so that prior to booking prospective guests can evaluate if our B&B is the style they are looking for.

“the beds were never made, the towels never changed” - I do not change linens or towels for a two night stay. If a change was required, the guest should have told me. I generally do not make guests' beds during their stay. I consider that personal space and however they choose to leave the bed upon rising is the way they must want it upon retiring for the night.

“the bed sagged and squeaked” - I’ve not heard that before. On the contrary guests comment how comfortable the bed is and ask what brand of mattress it is. That being said, sometimes things need tightened up, reconnected, or sprayed with WD-40. Innkeepers likely don’t know such things unless guests tell them. We don’t sleep in the guestrooms.

“the lack of a workable shower” and “forced to drive two hundred fifty miles without having showered in 24hours” – this is untrue and unjustified. This couple stayed with us for two nights. The shower/tub combo in this guestroom worked fine and was used by the guests until the evening of their second night. That night, prior to them leaving for dinner, the screw loosened on the faucet handle and it came off. The guest told me what happened, and yes, I told him this had happened before and that I would take care of it while they were at dinner. Yes, I forgot to do it as I got involved in prepping for breakfast and having my own dinner. What was not stated in this guest’s review is that when they returned from dinner and asked if it was fixed I admitted I had forgotten, apologized and offered to do it right then. I was told that wasn’t necessary, that having only the sink would be fine for the morning of their departure. Well, based upon the review that wasn’t fine. Being honest with me would have resolved this situation. Also, if the handle couldn’t easily be reattached, I could have offered them to use one of two other guest bathrooms not in use that night/morning. They could have showered if they had spoken up.

“her dog Jake” - it is clear on our website that Jake is part of our B&B experience (there is a navigation tab for The Dogs). Numerous guests have written in their TripAdvisor reviews about their positive experiences with Jake. I spend as much time with each guest as I sense they want me to spend with them. The spouse and I had a very interesting and lengthy conversation with this guest present.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at The Carlton Inn a couple of weeks ago. A group of us were attending a wedding in the wine country and all wanted to stay together. We hated the idea of staying in hotels, so we started looking at houses to rent. None were available to accommodate our large group. One of the places that was recommended by the bride and groom was The Carlton Inn. At first we did not want to barge in with a big huge, loud group to a nice and quaint little B&B, but in the end we were left with 2 choices, get hotel rooms or book all 4 rooms at The Carlton Inn. Man did we make the right choice!!!! The house is amazing, the rooms are adorable and comfortable, the bathrooms have all the amenities and supplies one would need, and the entire place is spotless! Heidi and Jake the doggie are great hosts and very fun to hang out with! The breakfasts are healthy, delicious and huge! You will not be unsatified with one aspect of your stay! I for one cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: The room I stayed in accomodated 3 people. 2 in a queen szed bed and 1 in a day bed. Perfect for 3...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank meagan_sullivan
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Carlton Inn is the perfect place to stay when exploring Willamette Valley. The innkeepers, Heidi and Edward Yates, are laid back and attentive hosts, allowing one to relax completely in their home yet, at the same time, lacking nothing in terms of comfort. They are also talented cooks and know where to find amazing local fresh produce, so breakfast is always a treat! The beds are very comfortable; and the rooms are clean and have lots of natural light. Remember to ask Heidi and Edward for recommendations to local wineries and nutteries; they know a lot of the local small producers and can direct you to places that are hard to find on your own. The location is great too, you can walk 2 blocks to the shops and tasting rooms in the cute little town of Carlton, and drive to a huge number of wineries within 15 miles.

Room Tip: The website has details about each room and accurate pictures.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank madkingx
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We had a wonderful weekend at the Carlton Inn. Heidi was a great host. It felt as comfortable as home. We stayed in the room on the main floor. It had a fresh and carefree feel to the decor. All rooms were quite spacious. We were traveling with several other couples, and we found it nice to relax on the back porch in the evening. Of course, Jake the dog was always available for petting and companionship. Good dog Jake!

The breakfast was delicious and made with fresh, local produce. Our main breakfast course was a fritatta I believe and we also had fruit, homemade yogurt, granola, o.j, etc... Quite filling.

Heidi was very accommodating for our needs and the number of couples we had at the inn. I would go back in a heartbeat and wish I was there now. Aaaah, so relaxing.

Room Tip: There were three couples staying at the inn, and it was hard for us to choose a room. They were all...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Owner Heidi took great care of us. The bedrooms were clean and spacious and the breakfast was full of wonderful local foods prepared to perfection. Jake the Brittany Spaniel kept good guard and was happy to have all the attention we heaped on him.

If you are looking for a nice, affordable spot for your wine tasting get-away, look no further!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I stayed at the Carlton Inn while exploring the surrounding area and wineries. Heidi was very pleasant from the time I made the reservation until I checked out. The home has a lot of character and was very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent and more food than I have eaten in a long time. The room was spacious and the bathroom even had a spa tub. Heidi's suggestions for dinner and which wineries to visit were very helpful and I enjoyed all of her suggestions. Great place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Even though the weather was dreary, the comfort and beautifully decorated rooms kept us smiling. I really like the artwork and attention to detail, you don't have to worry about pink or lace like you would at some other B & Bs. We stayed in the main floor bedroom and slept peacefully. Heidi serves an amazing homemade breakfast, and always shares where the local produce comes from (including her garden in the summertime).
She is a wonderful hostess and made us feel right at home offering us wine the evening we arrived and gave great suggestions for eating / wine tasting. Cuvee has some of the best French food I've tasted outside of France and The Horseradish was great for music and small plate items. Both restaurants are only about a 4 block walk from the inn. This is the place to stay when you visit wine country.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Been to The Carlton Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!