“Hidden surprise in charming Carlton!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carlton
The Carlton Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Carlton B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Hidden surprise in charming Carlton!”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We spent a delightful and cozy evening with Heidi and her friendly Brittany, Jake. We felt so welcome and at home and our room was very comfortable and clean. Breakfast was delicious and Heidi makes everything from scratch (including yogurt!). So impressive. It was such fun to walk into town for dinner and Heidi was so helpful in providing us with suggestions for visiting nearby attractions. A thoroughly enjoyable stay and we will return, hopefully for more than one night!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My wife and I spent the Memorial Day weekend at the Carlton Inn. It had been quite a while since we stayed at a B&B, something we used to do frequently. We had a very enjoyable stay - great town, fabulous wineries, road biking opportunities in all directions. We'll definitely be doing more of this in the future!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BDen
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 19 May 2012

First let me start by saying I find it incredibly difficult to find a really quality place to stay that is somewhat centrally located in Oregon Wine Country. The limited accommodations book up quickly and are often sterile hotels or overly lacey bnbs. Carlton Inn was a completely different story - perfectly appointed, gracious inn keeper, and right in the thick of things. My girlfriend and I snuck away for a ladies weekend to Oregon Wine Country and were delighted when we checked into Heidi's lovely bnb. She was incredibly knowledgeable about the area and provided recommendations and tips - without seeming overly pushy - there to help not to overwhelm. She made a dinner reservation for us and called ahead to ensure they had vegetarian options for my travel buddy as well as made us one of the most memorable breakfasts I've had away from home. Her hazelnut pancake recipe is now a staple at our house. :) She's deeply invested in her local community and love that our breakfast was sourced from completely local farmers (or her own garden). I would highly recommend this destination. Must stay! Can't wait to go back again soon!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Within walking distance of 20+ wine tasting rooms. Heidi was friendly, accomodating and an expert on all our questions about the local area. Her breakfasts are made with local produce/ingredients and impressively delicious. We also really loved the homey feel of everything, right down to their faithful dog "Jake". Stay here when you're visiting Carlton... You won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Coutures
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We had a delightful one-night stay at the Carlton Inn.

We wanted a central location so that we could explore the town in our spare time without having to drive, and this was perfect.

The back porch is a lovely location for some morning or afternoon reading with Jake the dog by your side and goldfinches buzzing around the garden.

There's a small park 1/4 mile or so down the hill where we were able to enjoy a nice morning walk off the streets.

Breakfast is simply fabulous. Homemade yogurt, local eggs and fruit, delicious muffins. Can't say enough.

Heidi is a gracious and engaging host.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LoveVisitingOregon
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 14 August 2011

This was our first trip to Oregon and the wine country. What a relief, especially as we come from Arizona and triple digit temps. Heidi made us feel very welcome and Jake the dog....so sweet! The inn is charming, with lots of interesting things to see and obviously well loved. Heidi served delicious, healthy, and artfully presented breakfasts. She sat and chatted with the guests and never rushed us out of the dining room. Our suite was comfortable, very clean, and nicely decorated. Loved the sheets! Heidi gave us great information about the area and was a delightful host. The Carlton Inn is a great place to relax and "smell the roses." We have wonderful memories.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Billie K
Rockville Centre, New York
Reviewed 31 July 2011

After reading all of the wonderful reviews I must have stayed at a different place with the same name in Carlton,Oregon.The breakfast were excellent however all other aspects of this establishment were very disappointing and very ordinary.The rooms were sparsely furnished,the beds were never made,the towels never changed,the bed sagged and squeaked and worse of all was the handle broke off the jacuzzi tub.When informed Heidi said that it had
happened before and would take care of it. When we returned to our room later that night when asked,she told us she forgot and were forced to drive two hundred fifty miles without having showered in 24hours.We have stayed in many B and B's and would certainly not rate this one highly.Maybe if Heidi paid the same attention to her guests as her dog Jake our stay would have been significant better.The lack of a workable shower is unforgivable especially after being told this problem had happened before.

Room Tip: I can't possibly answer this question
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank peter f
Carltonner, Owner at The Carlton Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
I take great pride in the multitude of positive comments from guests who stay at The Carlton Inn B&B. Such comments are expressed personally while staying here as well as through writing in our guest book and posting reviews on TripAdvisor. For someone to be disappointed in their stay and not sharing that with me but instead posting a “poor” review on TripAdvisor is quite frustrating. Therefore, I’d like to respond and clarify a few points.

“the rooms were sparsely furnished” - our website shows pictures of each guestroom as well as the common areas so that prior to booking prospective guests can evaluate if our B&B is the style they are looking for.

“the beds were never made, the towels never changed” - I do not change linens or towels for a two night stay. If a change was required, the guest should have told me. I generally do not make guests' beds during their stay. I consider that personal space and however they choose to leave the bed upon rising is the way they must want it upon retiring for the night.

“the bed sagged and squeaked” - I’ve not heard that before. On the contrary guests comment how comfortable the bed is and ask what brand of mattress it is. That being said, sometimes things need tightened up, reconnected, or sprayed with WD-40. Innkeepers likely don’t know such things unless guests tell them. We don’t sleep in the guestrooms.

“the lack of a workable shower” and “forced to drive two hundred fifty miles without having showered in 24hours” – this is untrue and unjustified. This couple stayed with us for two nights. The shower/tub combo in this guestroom worked fine and was used by the guests until the evening of their second night. That night, prior to them leaving for dinner, the screw loosened on the faucet handle and it came off. The guest told me what happened, and yes, I told him this had happened before and that I would take care of it while they were at dinner. Yes, I forgot to do it as I got involved in prepping for breakfast and having my own dinner. What was not stated in this guest’s review is that when they returned from dinner and asked if it was fixed I admitted I had forgotten, apologized and offered to do it right then. I was told that wasn’t necessary, that having only the sink would be fine for the morning of their departure. Well, based upon the review that wasn’t fine. Being honest with me would have resolved this situation. Also, if the handle couldn’t easily be reattached, I could have offered them to use one of two other guest bathrooms not in use that night/morning. They could have showered if they had spoken up.

“her dog Jake” - it is clear on our website that Jake is part of our B&B experience (there is a navigation tab for The Dogs). Numerous guests have written in their TripAdvisor reviews about their positive experiences with Jake. I spend as much time with each guest as I sense they want me to spend with them. The spouse and I had a very interesting and lengthy conversation with this guest present.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlton
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
3rd Street Flats
3rd Street Flats
#1 of 2 in McMinnville
The Vintages Trailer Resort

Been to The Carlton Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!