“Dog lover too....but”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carlton
Brookside Inn on Abbey Road
Ranked #3 of 6 Carlton B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Dog lover too....but”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Lovely looking from inside and out, BUT the very wet dog smell was too much. As someone in the hospitality industry you must be aware of atmosphere having large dogs will create. What would you do if a guest showed up with allergies? We love dogs but having our room in the main house the very strong odor of wet dog was present even on the second floor. I could see how much you love your dogs, BUT please do something about the smell. And by the way should dogs be in your kitchen?

Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank SABmac830
brookside_mgt, Owner at Brookside Inn on Abbey Road, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
We recently hired a consultant to evaluate the rooms and common areas at Brookside Inn as a result of the issues mentioned on Trip Advisor. It is true, the longer you are exposed to something, the less you are aware of the impact on others.

As a result of the evaluation, flooring in the great room is being replaced, walls are being resurfaced, and other policies are being set to avoid any further issues regarding our Newfoundlands.

We all love our pets, but that is no excuse to expose others to that love.

Susan Bandstra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Hillsboro, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

This inn is in a beautiful setting away from urban living. The grounds are peaceful, the rooms comfortable (impressed by the Aveda products ... nice little touch), and the food nutritious and well-prepared. There is a wonderful ambiance to the place that is both relaxing and energizing at the same time. We spent our wedding night here and it was the perfect retreat after a beautiful day full of our loved ones. It is a little hard to find at night ... I would suggest getting there during daylight, or perhaps a light can be placed under the beautiful metal signs at the end of the drive to help night arrivals. Breakfast tends to be at tables grouped with other guests, typical of inns, but our request to eat privately was gladly accommodated. There are a few options for breakfast seating so some flexibility. Susan, the innkeeper, was wonderful, as was the rest of the staff.

Room Tip: We spent only a night and purposefully chose the large suite in the building separate from the lodge...
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

Susan is a great and personable host. We had some ideas for restaurants which she either confirmed or steered us elsewhere and we were happy with where we went based on her recommendations. The room was a bit small, but very clean and the bed was exceptionally comfortable which is a big deal to us. Who stays in their room on such a beautiful property and with so much to do? We went wine tasting and to the coast. Susan lent us her atlas which was really valuable even with gps. We booked last minute and 'blindly' off the internet. The location is very central to the surrounding area. Breakfast was just right--enough to fill you up but not overstuff you and yummy. I was very happy with the choice and would go back again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

We loved the Brookside Inn. Susan is a wonderful host - very helpful and the food was fabulous. The location is central to many wineries and restaurants. She was knowledgable about the area and helpful. Our room was lovely - they aren't giant rooms, but they are well decorated and clean. The common area is very nice as well.

Stonington, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

Our weekend at the Brookside Inn was everything we had hoped for and more. The innkeeper was personable and knowledgeable about area restaurants and wineries. We loved relaxing in and around the inn. The front porch and the pond were tranquil retreats. The room was clean and comfortable, breakfast was delicious and it had all the comforts of home. If you want to feel relaxed at the end of your weekend, this is the place to retreat to. We'll definitely be back.

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

The first thing that hit us when we walked in was an overwhelming smell of wet dog and kitty litter. The rooms were much smaller than what we expected and you can hear everything that goes on in the other rooms and in the "great room". We were also disappointed in the restaurant recommendations and the breakfast that was served. It was edible but not exceptional. Overall we were very disappointed. This was our "splurge" and it turned out to be the worst accommodations of the entire 2 week trip.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
brookside_mgt, Owner at Brookside Inn on Abbey Road, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
As owner, host, innkeeper and cook of Brookside Inn, I am reviewing the issue regarding our dogs very seriously. Brookside Inn has been in operation for over four years and in the last six weeks we have received three comments regarding a strong smell of dogs. I do not take those comments lightly and am taking several steps to resolve this issue. You are welcome to review my response to the other two reviews.

This must have been a particularly humid day, which always tends to bring out any smells that are present in a home. We have two Newfoundlands, who are our very exuberant greeters if it is okay with our guests. If not, they stay behind closed doors in the evening. They are not allowed anywhere near the serving of breakfast. I am not certain why a smell of kitty litter would be present as we do not use kitty litter. Our two very friendly cats are outdoor cats.

Since this is the third review and response regarding our dogs, I trust anyone reading this will realize our Inn is not a place you will be able to enjoy if you do not like dogs. We are dog friendly for all the rooms in our carriage house.

I usually strongly encourage our guests to review the area restaurants on our website prior to arrival—there are links to each restaurant, allowing review of menu and price points. If our guests have not made advance arrangements for dinner, I provide a list of restaurants we enjoy and others in the valley enjoy--both locals and visitors. I state which ones I prefer if I am asked. I do this as a courtesy to our guests. I remove and add restaurants as I receive continued feedback from our guests. I can only do this based on the feedback of several guests, since any one experience would not be a fair basis for my suggestion to other guests.

After 40 years of sitting down to meals my husband has prepared including breakfast at the Inn, I am now faced with the challenge of preparing breakfast for anywhere between 2 and 20--a daunting task to say the least. It took a few weeks for me to get some of the kinks out, and I am now truly enjoying preparing meals that I am proud of. I regret that your breakfast was at best edible but not exceptional.

Regards,

Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

When we arrived all excited from the website, we were all very disappointed with the smell of dogs in the house. Owning dogs is one thing but to have 2 giant dogs that smelled like they have not had a bath in months living in your bed and breakfast is another. The smeel was so bad we decided not to stay in the king "Suite" that was in the house but opted for a queen bed that was in anouther guest house with no phone and no television. Their are many wonderful B&B'S in this part of wine country,however this one is not on the list.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
brookside_mgt, Owner at Brookside Inn on Abbey Road, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
I owe this couple a huge apology. August 10th was a very stressful day for me and my family. Our son Jacob and his wife Nancy had taken over for me since the prior Sunday while I sat at my husband’s side in ICU at OHSU. Although they did a stellar job as inexperienced innkeepers, I fear they may have not realized how sensitive Bruce and I were regarding the dogs meeting our guests. They were very preoccupied because of their father’s passing on that very same day.

One of our Newfoundlands is old, so I usually attend to him every few days. Since I had not been at the Inn for three days, I fear his cleanliness slipped by Jacob and Nancy. Once again I am quite apologetic regarding your unfortunate experience. They were not aware that you were uncomfortable. Their understanding was that you wanted to move to the Carriage House to be closer to the friends you were traveling with.

Prior to opening our Inn, we made the active decision to not include televisions or phones in the rooms. We have sketchy cell phone reception, which we do not apologize for since we feel most cell phone users are not aware of the disruption talking on the phone is to other guests. Wireless internet is available in all the 9 rooms, dependant on the settings on your computer. We have no intention of presenting our Inn as a hotel, where you should expect televisions and phones. Our Inn is situated on 22 acres and depending on the season, our guests have the opportunity to enjoy seating indoors or outdoors. We encourage our guests to leave their rooms and enjoy what Brookside Inn has to offer. We have a large screen television in the great room for our guests’ viewing pleasure.

Regards,

Susan Bandstra
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlton
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
La Bastide Bed & Breakfast
The DreamGiver's Inn
The DreamGiver's Inn
#3 of 6 in Newberg

Been to Brookside Inn on Abbey Road? Share your experiences!