“A beacon in the night after a day on the ocean!”

Captain John's Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 29 December 2013

If you are looking for a fancy room with an ocean view, keep looking. We love this place! Yes, the rooms are in need of update. Yes, there is a smell of low tide in the air (you are minutes from it). Yes, it looks like it was in it's prime in the 1960's. BUT.. the owner/managers are great people - always ready with a smile and curious to see our latest catch from the sea. The crab and fish cleaning station are a blessing when there is a line to clean fish at the boat ramp. There is plenty of parking for all of us with boats!! And... it's not even 5-minutes from the boat launch!! So.. if you are looking for a honeymoon hotel (I stayed here in 1990 on mine) or a fruit basket in your room with a chocolate and turned down bedding.. shop elsewhere. But we don't hesitate to stay here!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mari B
There are newer reviews for Captain John's Motel

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed here as part of a 101 HWY journey and was grateful for a motel in this location. However, the dream stopped there. The rooms are in huge need of updates. The cleanliness was not there. Our TV did not work and our bathtub did not drain to the point where it filled up during a brief shower, and could have caused a flood in the room.

When I spoke of the problems upon check out, the Owner/Manager said that I did not know what I was talking about. He was rude and argumentative, instead of apologetic. The price was not reasonable considering the condition of the rooms. You have to pay much more for a king size bed instead of two tiny double beds. Other customers checking in at the same time i was, said that this information was not disclosed when checking in. This is a historical area but I cannot recommend this place. You would think they would have something besides burned coffee in the morning for the price.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Oceandweller7
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This motel fits right into the harbor atmosphere and general fishing village that is Charleston. It is an older building that the owners work to keep up. The on site fish house is perfect for guests with boats who can clean their catches, whether it be salmon, tuna or crab. Security is good, the owners smile and are very accommodating. Kitchens are good for simple meals. Worth a few days stay to visit Cape Arago and Sunset Beach, as well as for buying fish and crab. Beds are comfortable, rooms are clean. Owners plant and tend to beautiful flower gardens around the buildings in spring, summer and early fall.

Room Tip: For quieter experience, choose upstairs room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Great place! The owners were very friendly. The room was spartan but clean and the bed was one of the comfortable I have ever slept in. Previous reviewers whine about the lack of amenities as though this was a four-star palace. You get what you pay for people! Seems like everyone wants something for nothing. Anyways, this place delivers charm, peace, cleanliness and value...and that's plenty for me. Who cares if it doesn't have an in-room coffee maker? Do you really need that? Yeah? Then go stay at one of the skeezy meth-head motels in downtown Coos Bay. They won't have authentic Chinese brush paintings in their rooms, but it'll be interesting! Captain John's is safe, clean, and they even have donuts ready for you in the morning. Folks, it just can't get any better than that! Yaaaar!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leezard123
Reviewed 4 March 2013

My sister and I took a trip this weekend to Charleston. I made all the rooming arrangements on line prior to our arrival. After I booked our reservation I read some really bad reviews, needless to say I was a little anxious about staying here (I hadn't told my sister about any of the reviews). We arrived very late but called to let them know we would be late. The hosts were waiting up for us when we arrived and were very pleasant and provided lots of information on the area. We arrived at our room and I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is old but well kept. Our room was not fancy by any means (No in room coffee maker, no blow dryer, no little complementary bottles of personal care products, no phone) but it was very, very clean . The bed and pillows were clean and very comfortable. The staff are awesome, and the location is excellent. We went walking all the docks and surrounding areas. Lots of nice little shops and bakeries. Charter fishing and clamming right outside your door. I will definately stay here again, as a matter of fact, I looked at their family room so next time I can bring my husband and grandchildren, and we are already planning our next trip. If you want a hotel with great prices, clean and comfortable room and a location that can't be beat, then this is the place you want to stay, I highly recommend it!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Free2BmeLAK
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Between this motel, the great food and the spectacular scenery 4 miles away, our two days in Charleston will be a forever memory.

I was surprised to see bad reviews after our experience here. We looked at several rooms since there was more than one available. They all looked equally nice. We chose a downstairs king since we are seniors and like the ease of unloading.

Loved our room...very clean, nice borders on the top of the walls, soft blanket, VERY comfy mattress, bigger than most TVs and great water pressure in the shower. We had a king bed....didn't bring our dog because for obvious reasons some rooms are not used for pets. We normally try not to travel with dogs as the rooms in some places we have stayed have that smell that is difficult to remove. They do have some pet friendly rooms here but not with the king bed that we prefer.

We saw some complaints on some reviews and I told the manager she should really reply to them because this place is too nice to have bad reviews. Sure, some things happen, but they seem like the kind of folks who would fix anything that would give them a bad review.

Tried a few of the local places for food.....they were OK, but Miller's was Fantastic....best hamburger...a home made patty.....and fish tacos to die for....flaky fish, nice, not greasy breading on a corn taco....we ate there several times and look forward to going back.

Location of this hotel is superb.....4 miles from the incredibly beautiful coastal cliff at Shore Acres. The gardens there are beautiful in summer and in winter they are lit up, but the winter also gives a special treat.....high surf and waves crashing against the many rocks shooting up into the sky like a small atomic bomb.....our photographs are incredible. We are amazed that more people weren't there to see what we saw.

We had seen the waves in August last year, but they pale in comparison to what a storm in February offers.....they looked like the postcards we saw....actually even better.....the only reason I am anxious to get home is to get the photos made into a Shutterfly book and having some blown up.

So, make Charleston, Captain John's, Miller's, and Shore Acres a destination !!!

(I am not a crab lover, but this is crab heaven if you are!)

Room Tip: All rooms have parking at the door which is very convenient. Get help from the manager to choose a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ANNMARIESFREMONT
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We stayed at the Captain John's Motel in Charleston and found it to be excellent value for money. We made and paid for our room online, that made the check-in process very easy and quick. The room was clean and all the service people were nice. Room was very acceptable for the price. Would recommend and would stay again. Compare all of the condition, just good.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chiayi_Taiwan_
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charleston
Sunset Oceanfront Lodging
Quality Inn & Suites at Coos Bay
Motel 6 Coos Bay
Motel 6 Coos Bay
#5 of 7 in Coos Bay

Been to Captain John's Motel? Share your experiences!