“Unexpectedly Good Seafood” 4 of 5 bubbles

High Tide Cafe
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Soups, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nashville, Tennessee
“Unexpectedly Good Seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Despite the "seat yourself" type of restaurant that is High Tide, the food is actually really flavorful and tasty.

The decor and the furnishings are kind of all over the place, with no real cohesive theme. I saw at least 9 varieties of chairs and a motley assortment of tables as well. I couldn't decide whether it was intentional or not. That's ok, I was really just looking for good food, and my wife and I can make our own ambiance anywhere.

Our waitress was a bit quirky and probably stoned, but she was very friendly. This is Oregon after all, so the highness shouldn't really come as a huge shock.

Their tuna fish and chips sounded delicious, but I had fish and chips for lunch, so I thought I'd mix things up a little. I opted for their dinner special: ahi tuna topped with crab meat, artichoke hearts, and a pesto cream sauce, served with a side of brown rice pilaf. High Tide also claims to have award-winning chowder, so I had to try it out. Fortunately for me, my entree came with either chowder or salad. I have no need for rabbit food, so I gladly chose chowder.

The chowder was very tasty, with a prevalent flavor of black pepper. I found the clams to be very fresh, and didn't get a single gritty one. This was a great way to get my palate amped up for the main course.

As for the tuna, the presentation was far beyond what I was expecting from a small town like Coos Bay. The tuna steak was perfectly moist and cooked just right, still red on the inside. Each of the components was tasty on their own, but awesome put together. I especially enjoyed the fresh dungeness crab. The rice pilaf wasn't all that memorable, but a nice pairing nonetheless.

We finished things off with a lemon tart, topped with huckleberries and whipped cream. It was light, refreshing, and a great way to round out the meal.

Read my other reviews, complete with pictures:

The Barbecue Fiend

Visited June 2013

Florence, Oregon
“Charming outdoor deck off the beaten path”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Some 8 miles off Highway 101 is the tiny fishing village of Charleston on Coos Bay. Not much there except a fishing fleet and several sea food restaurants. High Tide Café is my first choice when I am in the Coos Bay area for lunch when it is not raining. It has an outdoor deck that has a picturesque view of a marshy estuary . Very quiet and beautiful. Casual atmosphere. Food is very good and several craft beers are available on tap. Very pleasant out of the way lunch for couples or adult friends on a nice day. A favorite of locals in any weather

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
La Grande, Oregon
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We opted to stop in at High Tide Cafe today on our way back from Shore Acres State Park. The food was hot but mediocre. Drinks came quickly but the soda was overpriced. The clam chowder was excellent. In all, not a satisfying visit and certainly not worth the expense. Service was okay but nothing special.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Portland, Oregon, USA
“Amazing Clam Chowder”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stopped here for the award winning Clam Chowder. It was definitely worth stopping for. Of course I had to try the crab cakes and the calamari, OMG, lightly fried to perfection. Both the marinara and tartar sauces were excellent. The fish and chips was equally amazing. Becky, my server, was a delight, even though she was super busy she always took good care of us and our food came out hot! This place is worth the drive and the stop any time you're thinking about going to the Oregon coast.

Visited August 2013
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“You've got to be kidding”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was here on a Saturday in August, 2013. I ordered the half sandwich and cup of chowder. The sandwich was French bread, one piece of cheese, and a few small shrimp. The chowder was just okay. The price was $10...really? To top it off, the hostess/owner was rude and forgot all about me three times. The place wasn't that busy, either. I will NOT be going back!

• Visited August 2013