“50th Wedding Anniversary Party”

Monarch Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Clackamas
Oregon City, Oregon
“50th Wedding Anniversary Party”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Planned a 50th Wedding Anniversary Party for my parents at the Monarch on Aug. 16th. From the time I met with staff and through the entire event, my experience couldn't have been better! During the event, I had the personal cell phone number of the event director given to me for any issues. BJ was spectacular in every detail. They asked all the questions about all the details that I might not have thought of without their experience. Shyla was knowledgeable in what would work best for our needs. Everything was covered. The tables were set up beautifully, the staff was so attentive and when my projector screen didn't work, they quickly found and brought one into the event and set it up for me. They worked in making the entire affair memorable. Our guests raved about the food, they cut and served our cakes and prepared the glasses and sparkling cider for the toast. I was so pleased and will use them for my next event for sure!! I give them a 10!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Debbie M
MonarchClackamas, Director of Sales at Monarch Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Debbie -

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with the Monarch. We are happy to hear that you found the staff, especially BJ and Shyla, knowledgeable and attentive and the food wonderful.

We appreciate being a part of such a monumental occasion!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My partner and I love Portland, but don't want to spend a ton on accomodation when we are only sleeping there and mostly out enjoying all the city has to offer. I avoid downtown and some areas closer to downtown as I don't feel particularly safe in a moderately priced room. We tried a "secret discount" website with this location and got this hotel. Generally, very pleased with the value for the money we paid. Rooms were spacious and updated. Beds comfortable. TV was quite small. Only complaint about the room was the shower went hot and cold and wouldn't regulate.

We didn't experience the friendly service upon check in or check out that others commented on. The desk clerk was not at all friendly upon check in and offered no information on any amenities. Same clerk was open-mouthed yawning the next morning upon checkout at 9am. Maybe a bit of refresher training would be useful for customer service skills?

Room Tip: Ask for room away from traffic side if that's a concern. Didn't bother us.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TiffaniVictoria
MonarchClackamas, Director of Sales at Monarch Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Tiffani -

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at the Monarch. We are glad that you found your accommodations comfortable and were able to enjoy your time in Portland.

I apologize for your experience with the desk clerk. I have shared your comments with the Front Desk Manager so she may work on improving their service skills.

Tiffani, thank you again for your post. I hope you will consider the Monarch on your future visits to our area!

Best regards,

Tammy Thompson
Director of Sales and Catering
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Hotel location good. Rooms nice. Halls and common areas run down. Wifi didn't function in room. Called and front desk staff unresponsive. Said it would need to wait until next day. Next day still not operational in room. Weak signal in hallway. Another guest told m ed they were able to connect but at dial up speed. Poor hotel responsive so service they bill as svailable.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank FamilyTravels22
MonarchClackamas, Director of Sales at Monarch Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear FamilyTravels22-

Thank you for posting about your recent stay at the Monarch. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit and the responsiveness of the Front Desk. Your comments will be shared with the Front Office Manager so she may address these issues with her staff.

We unfortunately did experience equipment problems over the holiday weekend affecting the South side of the building. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We are in the process of upgrading our system from Comcast broadband to fiber optics and expect to have that in place within a month. This upgrade should eliminate both the signal strength problems and speed.

Thank you again for your post. We hope you will try us again in the future.
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

This is a nice property kept in good condition and run by an efficient friendly staff. Clean rooms with nice furnishings. There are two items that spoiled our stay however. The old-style aerating shower heads are extremely noisy, as in you will not want to be next to a room were they are taking an early or late shower. Secondly, the wifi system is frustrating. You need to provide credentials for multiple access points, and I had difficulty getting it to work on a number of occasions.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Hollyrik -

We are glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your visit and found the staff friendly and efficient.

Due to some equipment failure, we did experience problems with our internet service over the Fourth of July holiday and had some delays in getting back up and running. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We are in the process of upgrading our system from Comcast broadband to fiber optics and expect to have that in place within a month. This upgrade should eliminate both the problems with access point overlap and speed.

We are sure you will find our Wi-Fi much better on your next stay!

Thank you again for your post.
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Ive stayed @ the Monarch many times. The staff is so very friendly & know their jobs very well. My room is always quiet & I'm usually a light sleeper. Their breakfast room service omelet & ham is so plentiful & good that it keeps me fully satisfied for many hours as I start my long day. I really appreciate that room service staff always has exact change put down on the desk after service. Other hotels rarely do & I specifically tell them what denomination I'll be paying for the food. Will stay @ the Monarch again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank butterscotch5
MonarchClackamas, Director of Sales at Monarch Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Butterscotch5 -

Thank you for posting about your experiences with the Monarch Hotel. We are glad that you have enjoyed your stays as well as the food and service of Sam's. We will be sure to post this for the room service staff so they know how much you appreciate them!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Port Orford, Oregon
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I gave this property 5 star rating because the staff was so wonderful! Clean room , Great location, Very nice restaurant. Lovely Sunday brunch. Linens a bit worn and some wear and tear on the walls in bathrooms but overall was a very nice place. Melissa at the front desk was such a professional , knowledgable, and personally delightful . You can tell the staff likes their jobs and knows them well. The staff I spoke to were long term employees and were happy to be there. This shows great management. Great bar. Friendly bartender . I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TripMember11132015
MonarchClackamas, Director of Sales at Monarch Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Motherfeatherbutt:

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience with the Monarch. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and Sunday brunch in Sam's.

We are also pleased that you found Melissa, as well as our other employees, friendly and professional.

Thank you for your recommendation. We hope you will visit us again soon!

Tammy Thompson, Director of Sales
Den Helder, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Due to a flight delay, we were assigned to this Hotel by the airline. We had a 24hr delay, so we could take the service of staying in the hotel...

Staff was kind, rooms and bedsheets were clean and transport to the airport was arranged perfectly. (although the high amount of guests/passengers). so we slept voor about 6 hours, and left the hotel again to continue our trip.

Next day when i was at home, i discovered these itchy, little red bumps on my arms, legs.. and rump....
The only thing i could think of was BEDBUGS.. pfff.. and i am pritty sure, i didn't had these bumps before..
So a flight delay of 24 hours and eaten by bedbugs.. blegh not a nice way to end your holiday! :-(

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Pascalle G
MonarchClackamas, Director of Sales at Monarch Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Pascalle –

Thank you for sharing your concern of suspected bed bugs at our property.

The Monarch Hotel takes the health and safety of our guests very seriously. For over five years, we have contracted with Orkin Pest Control, a highly reputable, nationwide company to provide quarterly, preventative treatment of our guest rooms for bed bugs. If there is a suspected issue with a room, a technician from Orkin will come out and thoroughly inspect the room. This process includes removing all of the bedding and inspecting the mattress, box spring, head board, side tables and carpet crevices.

Based on the information provided in your post, I was able to ascertain which room you were in during your stay. We did place the room out of order for inspection and no evidence of bed bugs was found.

You are welcome to contact me directly at tthompson@monarchhotel.cc if you have any questions or additional concerns.

I am sorry your holiday ended on a less than pleasant note.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clackamas
Courtyard Portland Southeast/Clackamas
Best Western Plus Rivershore Hotel
Sunnyside Inn and Suites
Sunnyside Inn and Suites
#7 of 8 in Clackamas

Been to Monarch Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!