“Not bad food, could use more attentive service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Chevy's Fresh Mex
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, American
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: When we think Chevys Fresh Mex, we go to our happy place; fun-lovin’ guests, fajitas & margaritas, and the freshest food, always from scratch. Founded in 1986 in Alameda, California, Chevys is an ultra-casual restaurant concept that offers guests an array of freshly prepared Mexican dishes in a relaxing atmosphere. Similar to other Real Mex restaurants, Chevys prepares its dishes daily from scratch using only the freshest ingredients. Chevys is a national brand with locations in 8 states. Chevys' store base includes 39 Company-owned restaurant locations and 16 franchised restaurants. With more than 25 years of successful operations, Chevys is the most widely recognized Mexican casual dining brand in northern California, and is the second largest Mexican casual dining brand in California in terms of number of restaurants, behind El Torito. Designed to offer a fiesta for the senses, where every experience is fresh, fun and full of flavor, the concept is focused on the execution of its trend-setting Fresh Mex® menu and continuous innovation. Chevys uses a "Fresh Mex®" pledge which underscores the Company's promise that all products are made daily from scratch.
Vanouver, WA
“Not bad food, could use more attentive service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

My boyfriend and I ate here for lunch and enjoyed ourselves for the most part. Our only issue (yet a significant one) was that we both ordered from their vegetarian menu and experienced a bit of a problem. With my dish, there was an option of which type of bean I wanted, I chose pinto, but the server did not note that there was meat in the beans. I didn't notice, but when I'd had my fill and let my vegetarian boyfriend finish my beans, he did so immediately. Normally, I wouldn't expect that to be noteworthy, but considering that we both blatantly ordered from their vegetarian menu, I'd think that it would be something to point. I didn't raise a stink or even jip the waiter, he didn't do anything wrong. I just think that there was some room for improvement, and during future visits, my boyfriend and I will simply tread a little lighter though the menu.

• Visited November 2013

Portland, Oregon
“Decent place ruined by bad service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

We have been here many times and it is really a mixed bag as far as service goes. The food is not exactly spectacular but it is solid and certainly not terrible. Tonight my family of 5 showed up at 4 pm and requested to sit outside on the near empty patio (just one couple seated outside where there are 10-14 tables). The manager was standing at the hostess station, though at the time I didn't know it was the manager, and he actually ROLLED HIS EYES. I didn't assume it was for us, and we waited to be seated.
The patio was basically empty, and our hostess told us to "choose a table and sit!" We asked if we could push two tables together so we could accomodate five people, as the tables seat four. The hostess said fine. Our waiter came out, took our drink order, and we were dining, or so we thought.
Soon the manager, the same young, thin, blond man with glasses that had rolled his eyes at us inside came out and told us, "I can't allow you to sit here. It is happy hour, and these are our best tables."
We said, "There is no one here. We have 5 people, and we can't fit in a four person table comfortably. We need a little extra room. What are we supposed to do?"
He said, "It will probably get busy soon, so I need you to move."
The hostess already okayed this seating arrangement, and there was ONLY ONE OTHER OCCUPIED TABLE THERE. We pointed this out and wondered why we should be uncomfortable NOW based on what MIGHT happen. This young man allowed that we could sit here "For now" but when other customers start to show up, we would have to move.
Are you kidding me?!
We opted to leave.
But not before informing him that we dine at this restaurant no less than once a week, spending no less than $120 per visit, plus standard 20% tip. However, due to his brusque, rude, and unwelcoming attitude, we would not return.
If the hostess said we could pull another table over on an empty patio, for good customer service they should have let it ride instead of approaching us, THE CUSTOMER, and telling us to move. They should train her not to seat people that way again and let it ride until we leave. I even pointed out to the manager that as a family with children, we would likely not be taking up the table for too too long. No matter, this young man had made up his mind that he did not want our business. It is also worth pointing out that when our server came by and told us it was happy hour we told him we want the premium drinks and don't care about the cost. We were prepared to spend money, just as we always do at every place we visit.
I can only assume we were pre-judged as a family with kids. It is my opinion that this young man showed very poor and hasty judgement and lacks the customer service skills vital for someone in a management position.
This situation was definitely mishandled. It didn't have to be a big deal and I don't know why it turned into one. As mentioned there was only one other party (of two) on the patio and it seems bad practice to turn down business. I am unsure why my family is of less value as customers than the crowd that the manager was expecting, hoping and willing to trade our business for. How is a group of two occupying a table for four okay but five people cannot utilize readily available and empty space? 5/8 is greater than 2/4.
We ended up eating Old Chicago down the street, where they also have outdoor seating. We had excellent service, and our party increased by two shortly into our visit. Our bill was $169ish, plus a $30 tip for our server. Could've been at Chevy's.
We won't be back. There are too many other places to spend our money. Too bad.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hermiston, Oregon, United States
“Our fav”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

Can't go wrong with Chevy's! Great food and service! There was a birthday party next to us that could have been quiter but otherwise everything was good!

Visited April 2013
Estacada, Oregon
“Great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

We love the restaraunt. Good food, great atmosphere. Tends to be a little cold so if you chill easily, bring a jacket! Happy Hour has some good choices. Service is wonderful

Visited February 2013
Redmond, Oregon
“Good Food, Great Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

We took our granddaughter here after her basketball game. Good food choices and drinks too. Highly recommend. Four of us had a wonderful meal.

• Visited January 2013