“First Time B & B'ers”

Sandlake Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Cloverdale B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 September 2012

My wife and I spent a belated 38th anniversary at Sandlake Country Inn the last weekend in August 2012, and were truly impressed. We had the opportunity to spend two nights, each in a different room (by choice) at the Inn due to late booking and were so impressed by the housepitality, warm and frendly atmosphere, the food and of course who could forget Diane and Ron. We will be going back as the opportunity presents itself and highly recommend it to all who really want to get away and have quiet time or just tour the Tillamook, Oregon area, Pacific City is also a quaint little town with charm of its own also.
Tom & Joan Toevs, Grants Pass, Oregon

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 August 2012

I stayed in the Timbers suite which made me feel like I was in a log cabin in the woods. I loved it! The jacuzzi was absolutely fabulous!! Very private with your own entrance and a view of the woods which I love being that I'm a country girl. Diane and Ronnie were very friendly and make you feel at home and serve delicious food and coffee! A+ on the coffee. This was the first time I stayed at a B&B and I will definitely come back to this one. The beach is very close to the B&B as well so there were plenty of things to do and lots of site seeing! Diane was very helpful with places to see and how to get there. I would recommend this place for all my friends!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank missmoeTallahassee
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Being a major foody this place surely filled me up! The food is fantastic and completely unforgettable.From the moment I had first seen this Inn I knew it was sure to please. Friendly people and such privacy with beautiful nature surrounding the entire Bed & Breakfast. It surely isn't a typical B&B, and that is what I think makes this place stand out from the rest. If you have dietary restrictions they will accommodate your needs, recommend restaurants, or print you off directions for wherever you are going. The jacuzzi tubs are great as well. I will recommend this place to anyone!

Room Tip: Seen them all, all look fantastic. The upstairs (Starlight Suite) and the Cottage are the biggest r...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2012

My husband and I were super excited to celebrate our annivesary in the Timbers suite at the Sandlake Country Inn, but we stayed only five minutes before determining that we would rather go back home to Portland than stay in our reserved room. The Timbers suite is directly off of the common area. The bed was just a few steps from the door leading into the area where beverages and food are kept. How romantic is it to have people getting brownines five feet away from your bed? The room also had an overpowering musty/mousy odor. The room looked clean, but the sofa was smelly and obviously very old. We asked for another room (none were available) or for a refund for at least the second night (none was granted). The private entrance isn't a private entrance at all--just a door leading to the weeds. You will be in the middle of it all in this room. We regret that we never got to try to food. On a happy note, even though we weren't granted any financial compensation by the very defensive owner, we stumbled upon a gorgeous, clean, beachfront hotel for the same price and had a great, romantic weekend. Too bad that we had to pay double. I'd look before you reserve if you are at all smell-sensitive.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Timbers if you want to have a romantic get-away!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Holly556
Coastlvr, Owner at Sandlake Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Please note that the very few negative reviews we have ever received are from people who take no responsibility for reading our website. We hope that our 114 other reviews over many years and our Trip Advisor's Certificate of Excellence Award for 2012 that we received will speak for who we are and what we provide.

I'm afraid this was a case of these guests having such high expectations, that there was no way we could meet them. I can only surmise that our location was not what they expected. From the moment of our meeting at the front door, BEFORE they even saw their room, they made it very clear that this was not the place for them.

We are a country bed and breakfast, not a hotel on the ocean. The Timbers Suite is our most popular room and hundreds of honeymooners and couples that have stayed with us have given us the reputation of a romantic getaway and we are honored by that. We take that honor as a huge responsibility and are saddened that we were not a good match for this couple.

As far as the criticisms of the room, they were totally unfounded and the couple that stayed next in the same room, left a 5 star review here on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

It was my husband's birthday. My husband and I truly enjoyed this place- it's got so much character, quiet/peaceful, and cozy yet has a large beautiful bed and a killer jacuzzi, wood-burning fireplace, and flat screen TV with DVD player, great home-made breakfast/coffee. Diane greeted us and showed us around, loved!! her cookies, and she even made customized happy birthday note for my husband. So much attention to detail went into this place. We would go there again and recommend to our friends!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sophieyi
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We found this place online and decided to give it a try. As someone with serious food allergies, I am always concerned. When we arrived we were warmly greeted by Diane, who showed us around the place and all the rooms. We stayed upstairs in the Starlight Suite, which has a fireplace, a dining area with a refrigerator, bedroom, sitting room, bathroom with jacuzzi, and a terrace to go out and enjoy. It was beautiful, and very peaceful. The food was outstanding and Diane did a wonderful job dealing with my allergies. It was so nice to have the whole floor to ourselves. We also enjoyed dinner there as well, and it was superb! What gracious hosts Diane and Ron are. We even took home some of Ron's roasted coffee, which my hubby loved very much.

When you do go, please be aware there is NO cell phone service. We loved it, as we came for rest and relaxation, not to hear a cell phone ring. Thank you Diane and Ron for a wonderful stay in April, and we will be back again. Thanks too for the awesome food.....OUTSTANDING!!

Randy & Dawn

Room Tip: If you like room to spread out, select the Starlight Suite.....it's wonderful!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachy5551
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Staying at the Sand Lake Country Inn was quite the happy accident for my boyfriend and I. We were trying to camp but got rained out, so I made a reservation here. Diane welcomed us very warmly and settled us into our room, the Garden room. The king size bed was great and the jaccuzi tub is very nice too. We paid for dinner and it was delicious and a good price for two, but the 4 course breakfast ( included) is to die for!!! And the cookies!
Loved it so much we came back for another night two days later, but this time we stayed in the Starlight Suite. It's the whole upstairs! There's a double sided fire place and another jacuzzi tub. So cozy!
Lovely little hideaway near the beach! Thank you so much Diane!

• Stayed: June 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloverdale
Surftides Lincoln City
#2 of 3 in Pacific City
Oceanside Inn
Oceanside Inn
#1 of 4 in Oceanside

Been to Sandlake Country Inn? Share your experiences!