“Another Honeymoon from WI”

Sandlake Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Cloverdale B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed at the Timbers Suite and it was amazing. We had absolutely none of the problems of the reviewer below. Diane (the owner) was the most accommodating. The room was very clean and tidied up everyday. The Jacuzzi was amazing. There was a nice private entrance, which really didn't matter as we hardly saw anyone through the main entrance. There is complimentary cookies, hot chocolate, tea and coffee 24 hours a day.

Breakfast is absolutely amazing. It is nearly impossible to eat it all. We saved the scones for our lunch one day.

If the room and breakfast were not enough Diane acted as a personal trip planner. There was plenty of printouts on trips to do traveling south (where we saw whales and seals) traveling North (where there are great tidal pools to see starfish) and right in the area (with lighthouses and private beaches). Not to mention a couple key hikes in the area (neahkahnie mountain is a must and Cape Lookout is awesome). She also knew where to eat and where not to. She pointed us an amazing seafood feast at a restaurant to the north.

This is totally worth the money to stay as it is truly the complete B&B with privacy, a great room, an amazing breakfast, and guides on things to do in the area. We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pat M
There are newer reviews for Sandlake Country Inn

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Wanting to get away from things for a while, my partner and I planned a trip to the Oregon coast. When I say "planned," though, we deliberately tried to keep things relaxed, rather than having an itinerary that forced us to jump from place to place. With that in mind, we tried to find a place to stay that matched the attitude we hoped to have on this trip.

The Sandlake was the perfect fit. Our innkeepers were both attentive and discreet, available at a moment's notice while never intruding unless asked. Their knowledge of local attractions meant we were never at a loss for something to do despite having made no concrete plans ahead of time.

The food was wonderful; we had two breakfasts and a dinner during our stay. While I'm fairly easy to please, my partner is quite picky, but nothing disappointed. There were even fresh blackberries picked by the innkeepers on my dessert!

The grounds are lovely. We explored them for a pleasant hour and found the beaver dam the innkeepers had told us about.

We traveled about quite a bit, and the Sandlake made a wonderful place to come back to each night, but I would have been equally happy to have been rained in at such a lovely place. We certainly plan to return someday.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2012 via mobile

This B&B was super cute! My husband and I stayed in the Timber Suite for our honeymoon and it was absolutely wonderful. Everything from the smell of the fresh baking, to the cute room that fit the history of the house. It was extremely private but yet they were still available for anything we needed. Outstanding breakfasts brought to the door every morning and we even got dinner delivered to the door one night! We plan to make it up to Sandlake every couple of years!!! I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 2 September 2012

My wife and I spent a belated 38th anniversary at Sandlake Country Inn the last weekend in August 2012, and were truly impressed. We had the opportunity to spend two nights, each in a different room (by choice) at the Inn due to late booking and were so impressed by the housepitality, warm and frendly atmosphere, the food and of course who could forget Diane and Ron. We will be going back as the opportunity presents itself and highly recommend it to all who really want to get away and have quiet time or just tour the Tillamook, Oregon area, Pacific City is also a quaint little town with charm of its own also.
Tom & Joan Toevs, Grants Pass, Oregon

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I stayed in the Timbers suite which made me feel like I was in a log cabin in the woods. I loved it! The jacuzzi was absolutely fabulous!! Very private with your own entrance and a view of the woods which I love being that I'm a country girl. Diane and Ronnie were very friendly and make you feel at home and serve delicious food and coffee! A+ on the coffee. This was the first time I stayed at a B&B and I will definitely come back to this one. The beach is very close to the B&B as well so there were plenty of things to do and lots of site seeing! Diane was very helpful with places to see and how to get there. I would recommend this place for all my friends!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank missmoeTallahassee
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Being a major foody this place surely filled me up! The food is fantastic and completely unforgettable.From the moment I had first seen this Inn I knew it was sure to please. Friendly people and such privacy with beautiful nature surrounding the entire Bed & Breakfast. It surely isn't a typical B&B, and that is what I think makes this place stand out from the rest. If you have dietary restrictions they will accommodate your needs, recommend restaurants, or print you off directions for wherever you are going. The jacuzzi tubs are great as well. I will recommend this place to anyone!

Room Tip: Seen them all, all look fantastic. The upstairs (Starlight Suite) and the Cottage are the biggest r...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2012

My husband and I were super excited to celebrate our annivesary in the Timbers suite at the Sandlake Country Inn, but we stayed only five minutes before determining that we would rather go back home to Portland than stay in our reserved room. The Timbers suite is directly off of the common area. The bed was just a few steps from the door leading into the area where beverages and food are kept. How romantic is it to have people getting brownines five feet away from your bed? The room also had an overpowering musty/mousy odor. The room looked clean, but the sofa was smelly and obviously very old. We asked for another room (none were available) or for a refund for at least the second night (none was granted). The private entrance isn't a private entrance at all--just a door leading to the weeds. You will be in the middle of it all in this room. We regret that we never got to try to food. On a happy note, even though we weren't granted any financial compensation by the very defensive owner, we stumbled upon a gorgeous, clean, beachfront hotel for the same price and had a great, romantic weekend. Too bad that we had to pay double. I'd look before you reserve if you are at all smell-sensitive.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Timbers if you want to have a romantic get-away!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Holly556
Coastlvr, Owner at Sandlake Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Please note that the very few negative reviews we have ever received are from people who take no responsibility for reading our website. We hope that our 114 other reviews over many years and our Trip Advisor's Certificate of Excellence Award for 2012 that we received will speak for who we are and what we provide.

I'm afraid this was a case of these guests having such high expectations, that there was no way we could meet them. I can only surmise that our location was not what they expected. From the moment of our meeting at the front door, BEFORE they even saw their room, they made it very clear that this was not the place for them.

We are a country bed and breakfast, not a hotel on the ocean. The Timbers Suite is our most popular room and hundreds of honeymooners and couples that have stayed with us have given us the reputation of a romantic getaway and we are honored by that. We take that honor as a huge responsibility and are saddened that we were not a good match for this couple.

As far as the criticisms of the room, they were totally unfounded and the couple that stayed next in the same room, left a 5 star review here on Trip Advisor.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloverdale
Garibaldi House Inn & Suites
#16 of 35 in Lincoln City
Cottages at Cape Kiwanda
Cottages at Cape Kiwanda
#2 of 3 in Pacific City

Been to Sandlake Country Inn? Share your experiences!