“Wonderful boutique hotel!”
Review of Hotel Condon

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Condon
Hotel Condon
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Condon
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Spent two nights over Labor Day weekend. The hotel was a delightful surprise in the small town of Condon. The rooms well pleasantly decorated and the beds were quite comfortable. We had dinner in the lounge and we were treated well by the one staff person on duty (Andrew). The food was excellent as were the drinks from the bar. Some might find the menu pricey, but we found the quality well worth the price. We took a road trip throughout the area on Sunday through Fossil to the Sheep Rock Unit of the John Day Fossil Park and over to the the Painted Hills. It was a fun drive with plenty to see. There isn't too much in Condon, so if you expect lots of options, dining or shopping, you would be disappointed.

We loved the hotel and lounge, so we will definitely go back again!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Condon

Reviewed 30 March 2009

Although I haven't stayed at the Hotel Condon for almost a year now, I've always been pleased with my stay. It's a very comfortable and quiet place to stay. Condon is a charming town with several interesting sites nearby - the ghost town of Lonerock, their historical museum, hiking at the Western Rivers Conservancy (Murtha Ranch at John Day River), photography, bicycling, etc. As a frequent visitor to Condon, I have to laugh at one of the reviews that finds it "scary" that they left their room key on the front door. That's one of the beauties of Condon....it's so safe! Enjoy your visit and enjoy the wonderful people there! Be sure to visit their charming antique store - Days Gone By. If it's closed, just call Marilyn Chase, the owner who will meet you at the store, open up and let you browse I love that and always find something interesting to buy!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank portland100
Reviewed 20 February 2009

Condon, Oregon is so far off the beaten path that the nearest town is called Fossil. It's a three-hour drive from Portland east on Interstate 84 and then south on Highway 206. At one time there was motel in Condon that had a sign in each unit that read: " Don't clean game in your room." The only bar in town is called the Round Up Tavern, which is next door to the Cowboy Up Cafe.

I mention this because the Condon Hotel is totally out of place. It's a beautifully tricked out three-story boutique hotel with spacious rooms, cozy sitting areas on each floor and a gorgeous dining room and lounge. It's expensive by eastern Oregon standards, $148/night, and dinner for two can run $100, which is too steep for the locals. The food when I was there was not that great, but it could have been an off night. Anyway, the service was great as was the wine list.

This place was remodeled and redecorate to cater to the tourist trade, although I'm not sure how many tourists go through there. No kidding, this is really out of the way. It closes in January and reopens in time for Valentine's Day. According to the staff, reservations are good idea, particularly in the summer. So, if you're lost in eastern Oregon or just looking for a romantic, out of the way place, you got to check this out.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Rastadog
Reviewed 14 December 2008

I stayed in this hotel in thanks giving week end, and it was great, as I red before in other comments, it is a great city hotel in a small town. Although the room was small, it was very nice and cozy. The breakfast was the only thing that did not cover our expectations.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ivan_bvn
Reviewed 3 September 2008

My husband and I stayed here for several nights and were so pleased! never have we experienced such wonderful treatment and attention from any hotel staff! The food was absolutely astounding!
they served us in their beautifully remodeled lounge, although it is redone, it is, I am told a historic replica of a bar from Condons vast history. the ambiance and mood of the entire Hotel made us feel very relaxed and completely at ease, just as if we were at home only better....at home there isnt anyone doting on you and seeing to your every need. We will definitely stay again and bring friends with us when we come.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank livin4fun
Reviewed 7 July 2008

We have stayed at many hotels all over the U.S. , Central America and Europe. Never have we had to deal with such an incompetent staff. We arrived shortly after 8p.m. Sunday evening and to our astonishment there were no staff members available to meet our needs. Luckily there was a room key taped to the front door, which let us in, but made us feel very uncomfortable since anyone passing could easily gain entrance. SCAREY! There was not any food service available either. The next morning we were informed by a seemingly uninterested, scattered front desk clerk that food service was always unavailable on Monday's or Tuesday's. What kind of 5 star hotel does not provide any type of foodservice 2 days a week, and when open supposedly serves exquisite meals in a "BAR"? The following morning we inquired about dinner for Monday night and were told that we could get pop corn and candy next door at the movie theatre or a fair meal across the street at a place called Country Cafe which appeared to be a Diner. We came to the hotel because we like to visit historic sites. To our dismay we were unable to fulfill our interests at the hotel. Aside from no food available there are absolutely no amenities..no pool, no spa, no children's game room, nor are there any provisions to accommodate family pets. Beside the lack of amenities we felt the rooms were way over priced for such small rooms that lacked any sound proofing. We were unable to sleep because of a neighborhood dog that barked incessantly. The only redeeming experience we had during our stay was visiting Country Flowers across the street from the hotel. The staff there were very friendly and accommodating. We enjoyed meeting Darla who was so gracious and helpful unlike the staff at the hotel. If we return to Condon we will be sure to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wanderlust_ca2
Reviewed 3 June 2008

We just stayed at this place last night and really enjoyed it.

There were just a few rooms taken the night we were there (a Sunday night), so it was very quiet. I'm sure if the place were full, there would be more noise, but I doubt that it would be a problem. Also, I would be surprised if they are full very often, considering the fairly remote location.

We drove out from Porland though the Columbia Gorge on a Sunday afternoon, stayed Sunday night, then drove back to Portland through the towns of Fossil, then over to Shaniko, then over Bakeoven Road to the town of Maupin, then over to Highway 26 and went by Mt. Hood and back to Portland. It was a great loop, lots of great and unusual scenery, and very relaxing. The trip through Condon and Fossil was a really nice and unpretentious slice of Americana. I'm not used to having people wave at me occasionally as I'm passing them on the highway.

We had dinner at the restaurant, and frankly, I had been a little skeptical about the very positive restaurant reviews I had seen about the hotel food at this hotel when I looked at tripadvisor before we left. The restaurant was pretty empty, and I think in some places the waiter might have had a bit of an attitude with business so slow and us coming in not too long before closing time, but in fact he was very friendly and my wife and I both thought the food was really good. The entrees are sort of on the expensive side (I got a kobe sirloin steak entree, and it was around $32 or so). Our entire bill for 2 with drinks was around 85 (plus tip). That being said, the food quality and service was, I thought, very good, and the food well prepared, and personally I don't mind spending the money if the quality of everything is high. Also, I figure that their volume of business is not that great, and I appreciated having such a nice place to stay and eat in such a remote location. (The first 30 or so miles we drove after checking out, I think we passed 3 or 4 cars, but then again, I'm sure there's a little more car volume on weekends.)

The room was very comfortable, though a bit small. (We got the least expensive rooms, 100 bucks plus $6 tax. But very comfortable bed, nice furnishings, and a roomy bathroom. Nice robes, etc.

The curtains are a little thin and let alot of morning light in, but fortunately, I had a sleeping mask with me. I found out in the morning that they'll give you a sleeping mask if you ask for one.

There's a computer available on the third floor of the hotel, with a fast connnection, which you can use to check your email if you like.

There was a theater a few doors down from the hotel, showing a first run movie (Ironside), but they only had one showing (7pm), but we didn't want to skip dinner, so we had dinner instead. If we'd known sooner, we probably would have tried to arrive at the hotel a little earlier, then eat earlier, then go to the movie.

They have a small continental breakfast in the morning, but it's just some yogurt, fruit, coffee. We had a little coffee etc. but then went across the street after we checked out to a place called something like Country Cafe. Basically sort of diner type breakfast (and diner type environment), food not super great but not bad either.

All in all, if you like going to out of the way and unusual places and relaxing, I'd recommend this place. It's probably not everyone's cup of tea, but we had a agreat time and will recommend it to our friends in Portland, none of whom know about this place, I'm fairly sure.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Condon? Share your experiences!