“Titian fall”
Review of Watson Ranch Golf

Watson Ranch Golf
More attraction details
Owner description: Open year-round, Watson Ranch Golf (formerly known as Coos Country Club) has offered spectacular golf on the Southern Oregon coast since 1923. Golfers will discover 18 unique and challenging holes designed by H. Chandler Egan and Bill Robinson.Known as the "Best Kept Secret on the Oregon Coast," our course and clubhouse are available for charity events, business outings and large or small tournaments. The facility also features a driving range, chipping area and two practice putting greens. Private and group lessons are available from our golf teaching professional. Memberships are available.We are located five miles south of Coos Bay along Hwy. 101 (milepost 243.5) on Coos Sumner Lane, just 20 minutes north of the Bandon Dunes Golf Resort.Stop by or call the Golf Shop for course hours and to schedule a tee time.
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have been playing at this course for the last 10 years now and have seen every change and every employee come in and out. But I'll start with my positive from 2004 to 2007 this course was ran by a great older fellow by the name of Steve who sadly passed away from cancer. But through that time frame this was my second home. It had the best 3 starting holes with a short par 3 down the hill to a good par 4 with trees on the left and bunkers guarding the right, and the solo par five on the front that was reachable in 2 but required a shot of a lifetime to hit elevated green guarded by treens on both sides, then when it fell under 3 under par management a group who could be matched to the 3 stooges, they fired all the wonderful staff closed the restaurant which granted was more of a hangout spot to play cards and get out of crazy weather sometimes was a wonderful place to relax before or after playing, it saddens me to see this great little gem fall so far from a wonderful place to play golf to being ran by rude uncaring people who are all about the dollar instead of great service and creating a beautiful course, best of luck to Watson wranch I'd hate to see the course I grew up on go under cause this course truly could be a best kept secret with just a little effort

6  Thank Awlkr

Reviewed 19 December 2013

It's hard to find the words words to describe this facility. Like the other negative reviewers have said this place is in need of everything from general maintenance of the course to total attitude adjustment for the staff. Do not waste your time or money. Travel either north or south to fine far better golf and professional staff. Bandon has a number of good courses plus up north in Florence you'll find great choices. When Watson Ranch was Coos Bay Country Club it was a gem, now under new ownership it become a JOKE!

2  Thank WesternRover
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Was excited to play course for 1st time. Booked a room for 2 nights, 450 mile round trip. Called and got tee times. Asked about any discounts, was directed to Groupon. Went on Groupon and paid, but no place to print out any confirmation? Called Watson Ranch and explained problem. General Mgr said "everybody" knows how to print a Groupon. Then told me to use my app on my smart phone. I don't have a smart phone Told me to go to some store to get it printed out or I couldn't play? Mentioned that we already had tee times paid for. Looked on his sheet and said there was nothing under my name? Asked me who I talked to? Fotunately (for me I guess) I wrote the name down. Then told me William was "probably" too busy to take down our tee times? Huh? I paused for a second and then Gen. Mgr. hung up. Called back but he said there was nothing else he could do for me and hung up again. We won't be playing golf there.

4  Thank g p
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I was feeling forwarned by the previous review, and expected a disappointment, but that was not the case. At the pro shop, Will was one of the most helpful and pleasant people you will ever find. I felt very welcomed and at ease, even being a wayward single!

The course is worth the drive. I had a day off from Bandon Dunes and it was nice to get out of the wind. Very good greens, true rolls and decent speeds. The course requires a lot of accuracy. you don't get a lot of room between the water and the thick stuff, but good shots are rewarded. Local knowledge would be very useful.

The price was right, the day was fun, and I will be back!

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I don't normally write reviews, but when the exceptional case comes along, good or bay, it's worth sharing. Unfortunately it's for the latter. I've played countless courses as far as New England and Florida, and played along side pros and never once have I encountered such despicable management. Hassling, arguing, accusing -beyond rude, and all of this in the midst of women and children during a fundraising event when the entire course was pre-paid for for the day! And this wasn't just my experience; other people I had talked to had similar encounters. This is no Bandon Dune's (or anywhere close to it), and in such a small town word will spread when you treat people like that. I will never personally go back and I would never recommend anyone to go either. We left with another 9 holes still to play. If you're looking for a nice place, don't go here.

4  Thank jc927_13