“Post-retirement party tested, guest approved”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coos Bay
This Olde House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 5 Coos Bay B&B and Inns
Eugene, OR
“Post-retirement party tested, guest approved”
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I was in Coos Bay for a co-worker's retirement party held close by. I avoid hotel chains when I can. This is the slow season so I got a good deal and was the sole occupant. 2nd time in 2 weeks that I had a lodging establishment to myself.

The owner, Sally, showed me to my room, offered me a glass of wine or a beer. I declined and she handed me the keys and when I offered to pay for the room she said we would settle up in the morning. We discussed the second 'B' in B&B and she proposed 8:30 and her eyes bugged out when I countered 7 (I had a meeting to get to). We compromised at 7:30 AM.

I went out and returned to an empty inn. I went to bed and fell asleep. I could smell bacon in the morning as I was getting dressed. She prepared a very nice and very large breakfast. Eggs, bacon, sliced fruit, pancakes, OJ, coffee, and a lot of conversation. She is a wonderful character and she was full of conversation.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Brookings, Oregon
Reviewed 12 November 2011

We were greeted by Sally, the lovely lady who owns This Olde House, and made us immediately feel at home. She decorated the home with antiques, but has also provided her guests with modern luxuries. All the rooms have king sized beds and private bathrooms. One room has a fireplace and is so large it takes up the entire third story. In the morning we lingered over a huge, very tasty breakfast. She said one guest had told her she served a lumberjack breakfast, and I think you'll agree. If you are looking for a special experience, this charming lady and her B&B is the place for you. I will be coming back again and again. Already planning a stay early in December when a friend and I come to see the Christmas light display at Shore Acres in nearby Charlestown.

Room Tip: Two rooms have an extra bed and a view. We didn't care about the view nor the extra bed, so cho...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 26 September 2011

It's charming, quirky.....but it's the hostess that's the real deal here.

This "olde" home belongs with the San Francisco Victorians. Original floors, beautiful windows....great history. It's stuffed full of a quirky collision of western and oriental art. Ya...it could use a good cleaning. But the complimentary wines, hearty breakfast, and view of the bay from our third floor room with fireplace made this experience very comfortable.

And it's 80+ year old hostess is the gem here. Sally could have easily charged me for a missed night's stay (but didn't). Her stories are many and her frequent passion for gambling is a hoot! She made this an adventure. Who else can share a personal experience with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page in her home! (great photo in entry).

Thanks Sally....we'll be talking about this one for a while!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa_and_Brad57
Yelm, Washington
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We had a reservation for one night at This Olde House. However we didn't account for Labor Day traffic and knew we'd get in quite late. We called Sally to let her know and she told us it was no problem. Once we arrived, Sally met us at the door, showed us where the wine and snacks were and then upgraded our room at no additional cost. We didn't arrive until about 9:30 and Sally usually leaves no later than 8 but she stuck around and we were very grateful for that, the wine and the upgrade. The house (a classic Victorian) is a mix of old Victorian style and and Japanese cultures. In order to fit the in-suite bathrooms in the rooms they had to be tight. If you're really tall the ceilings in the baths will be a little close. But they didn't affect us. But the best was in store in the morning. We had a wonderful breakfast of fresh fruit, baked French toast with fresh blueberries and then scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and home fries. There is always a pot of hot water for tea, coffee, hot chocolate, etc. and the evening wine is a real plus. On top of all that Sally is a hoot. She told us all about her gambling and how she cam in 3rd in a big in Vegas. The next time we visit Coos Bay we know where we'll be staying.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Abbots Langley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Sally is lovely and she makes the guest very welcome and provides a great breakfas. Could do with a general redecoration inside

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IanWhiteUK
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Sally, the owner, truly enjoys entertaining her quests. The furnishings are an interesting mix of antiques, heirlooms, and Japanese collectibles. She opened a wonderful bottle of wine for happy hour and put out a beautiful.

Room Tip: One room has a Double bed plus a day bed perfect for parents and a child.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
California
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Don't miss out on the oppotunity to stay at (proprietor) Sally's 1800's Victorian mansion! It is homey and pleasantly cluttered with items from days gone by, many of them from Japan. Sally, at age 80, is an absolute "kick" who will keep you laughing...with her stories... over a couple of glasses of wine. She will tell you about the "Robert Plant Room" and other folks who have stayed there during the past 15-20 years, as well as some of her own, interesting experiences. This is one spunky lady! Our room was large and comfortable and had a nice, private bath. Breakfast was generous and terrific, especially her homemade strawberry preserves. She will point you in the direction of a good fish restaurant. And there is a great shop with Myrtle Wood bowls, utensils, gifts, etc. just outside of Coos Bay. The downtown area looked interesting, too. If you prefer a B.&B. a "modern" look don't go here. But this place has charm and ambiance and is sure to please most travelers. Sally will, undoubtedly, make your stay a memorable one.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Super 8 Coos Bay/North Bend
Plainview Motel & RV Park
Best Western Inn at Face Rock
Sunset Oceanfront Lodging

Been to This Olde House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!