“Not Worth 3 Stars”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Coos Bay
Roseburg, Oregon
“Not Worth 3 Stars”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

First I want to cover the good. Every staff member I met was helpful and nice. I cannot complain about customer service. Check in was nice. The desk person moved us to a double queen room instead of a single. When I asked a cleaning person for something they were courteous and nice. There is an outdoor pool(closed for the season) and a small workout room with TV , treadmills, eliptical, and dumbells with an adjustable bench. Sadly that was about it for the good.

First we checked in pretty late in the evening. We were all dressed for bed and when I tried to turn on the TV it did not work. I found that it was unplugged. I had to have my wife hold the TV while I crammed my arm behind the large cabinet and grab the cord to plug it in. It was a heavy cabinet and I was barely able to move it enough to get to the cable.

When we did get it plugged in I noticed that many of the supposed channels that are listed as available were not. Now, we don't watch much TV, but I checked the channels and less than half were there. No HBO or any other premium channels despite them being listed. The program guide in the rooms information folder had channels listed that were out of date and totally inaccurate. When we finally did get channels they were pixelized, bad audio, and none were clear at all. In the morning for some reason they were better and my somewhat sick daughter did get to watch some Spongebob.

In the morning my youngest daughter and I went for breakfast at the "All you can eat Buffet". Now I'm a guy who likes to eat. This buffet was less impressive than many Continental Breakfasts. No waffles, no bacon, no hash browns, no eggs benedict, no nothing worthy of a buffet. We had Apples, oatmeal packets, bread, bagels, English muffins, yogurt cups, scrambled eggs, sausage links. coffee. That was about it. Did that sound like a weak Continental Breakfast to you? Me too. Definitely not worth the $5 it cost me. For free it would have been great. Honestly when i pay for a 3 Star Hotel I kind of expect good free breakfast. I guess not. I've honestly done much better and 2 and 2.5 star places.

The room was ok. Nothing special. Beds were nice. The TV that didn't work very well was only a 26" flat screen that was in a cabinet for a tube tv. This made it un-viewable from side angles. Kind of a thoughtless redesign. My wife thought the toilet had hair on it or something. It turns out it was just old and had cracks in the paint. 3 star hotel? Overall it was a clean and nice room with an extra chair. It just wasn't anything better than rooms for a lower star rating. Worse than some in fact.

Overall it was an OK nights stay. It was just not worth the money or the star rating of the hotel. I have wanted to try the Red Lion before and when I got the deal on Priceline I thought, cool it's still more expensive than other places but it's probably really nice. In reality I wish I'd have gone to the Super 8 we usually go to or even Motel 6.

Room Tip: If you don't want people above you or to be above people there are single story rooms available.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
coosbaygm, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We do apologize for the problems you experienced during your stay with us. I have forward your feedback to the necessary departments so we could prevent this from happening to any of our future guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Klamath Falls, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

I lived in Coos Bay for three years before transferring for work to central Oregon last summer. I had stayed in two of the motels in town, and had relatives or co-workers stay in a few of the others and the resounding issue with bay area motels is road noise, given that most are situated right on Highway 101. I decided to make my 2 night reservation at the Red Lion because the layout of the lodging is designed to put the guests away from the road-and it really helps. Though my room was fairly close behind the check in office, it was still so much quieter than my last few stays at motels in the bay area.

The room was updated, clean, and very comfortable with a nice flat screen 3D tv, beautiful tiled shower (with an overhead light in the shower-so much better than places that have just a single poor light in the bathroom so you can barely see in the shower), microwave, fridge, desk for my laptop, very wide counters in the bathroom and the 2nd sink outside the bathroom for storage of toiletries and so forth. This was a fantastic place to stay, especially in light of the very reasonable price. I didn't eat at the hotel or try the pool so I cannot comment on those, but the overall feel of the facility is one of quality and excellent management. This will be the place I stay at from now on when I visit the bay area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

1 Thank SJtravelerMN
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very please to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to have you back in the future for another enjoyable and memorable stay.
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

An average three star. Friendly staff. Helpful front desk. The hotel was pretty empty when we stayed judging by the lack of vehicles in the parking lot. We did get a room upgrade from a single queen to a two queen room. I booked through a third party, so no free breakfast. However, the breakfast buffet was under $5 and had a good selection. We would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you back in the future.
North Bend, Oregon, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Pretty nice motel with very accommodating staff. Restaurant is so-so will do in a pinch or if you don't feel like getting back in the car. Breakfast is good, worth the $5 if it's not included with your room. Will stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a newer room on the second floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Roomy rooms; clean. Could use some upgrading but good value. Complimentary breakfast could improve.

Room set up was nice; separate area with refrigerator and microwave; two sinks and a nice shower. When you're on the road, it fits the bill.

Housekeeping staff/manager very helpful; actually mailed me items I had left in the room without any hassle!!

Room Tip: If you need a little more extra space in the room, request a room with two "queens", these...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very happy to hear that our Housekeeping staff was able to mail you the item you left behind. We hope you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you back in the future.
Snohomish
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

There aren't a lot of options in Coos Bay, so this may be your best choice. The property is huge, as noted in other reviews. It looks dated from the outside but the rooms are very large and have been updated. The first room we we're given had a very noisy fan but we were moved to another room, which was fine. Dogs are allowed here for a $15 charge, and there is a big grassy area to walk them. There is a restaurant but we didn't check it out. Breakfast is served on site for $4.95.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tanna L
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I sincerely apologize for the problem you experienced with your first room. I have passed on your feedback to the necessary department to assure that the problem is fixed so it does not affect any of our future guests. We hope to have you back the next time you are in the Coos Bay area
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

This property is expansive, no elevators that I could see so bring your walking shoes. The room was clean to a point, but the idea of moving the beds to vacuum under said bed has yet to be learned. Other than that it's a bit worn, all worked, like I said, it's a room.
The restaurant closes at 9pm NO matter what. Thus, if your thinking of eating, plan to go out if after that time. Breakfast is in the morning and then closes, so no lunch, then reopened later for dinner. I believe I check around next time and see what else is available.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Plainview Motel & RV Park
Super 8 Coos Bay/North Bend
Best Western Inn at Face Rock
Sunset Oceanfront Lodging

Been to Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay? Share your experiences!